Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[edit: AFTERMATH, good read], SoCal AM GTG and run

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 03:05 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [edit: AFTERMATH, good read], SoCal AM GTG and run. Now encluded:Crashed mini driver

Sorry for the last minute post, but I thought its better then nothing.

10 am, Village Coffee Roasters in the El Camino Shopping center in Woodland Hills. It's a meet and run for enthusiests of all makes. Of some expected are a couple Ferraris, encluding an F40, a porsche or two (and me!) some subarus, minis (new and old) etc etc...

By the way, this is a growing weekly event. Every sunday, same time, same place. The coffee is good too. Hope to see you there!
~Eyal

EDIT: read post below, good read IMHO but long.

Last edited by Eyal 951; 02-19-2004 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:26 AM
Scooby 555
Intermediate

Village Coffee Roaster
23351 Mulholland Drive
Woodland Hills
Old 02-16-2004, 01:08 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Allright everyone, thought this may be an interesting read for some of you. This meet I posted of last night was a great deal of fun, though no F-40 showed up. There were about 5 ferraris, 3 beautiful 356's and a vintage 911T My car was the only other Porsche. There were a couple of classic minis, and a couple new ones. There were a couple of STi's and a few WRX's as well as my brother's RS coupe. Some guy brought an AE86 (drifter kid) and there was an M3 and some other stuff. We hung around for a while, talked, discussed our cars, exchanged info etc. Surprisingly, like 2 people told me that my car was one of the best Porsche's ever built, and a few others commented about how great of a car it is, and of its great condition. I was a bit taken back, I didn't expect much praise.
Later, some of us went on a run through the canyons. There were about 10 of us, and as we went it dwindled down to about four of us. The full route, for those of you that know the area, was Stunt, down tuna, PCH to Mulhuland through Decker, meet mulhuland again, down Kanan and then down the Rock Store part of Mulhuland (all these Mulhulands were different parts, we didnt backtrack at all) So down to Las Virgenes up piuma and down stunt again. I have never had so much fun on a run before.
We did hit some illegal speeds, for those of you that like to flame that sort of thing, flame on, but know this is not racing, I'm just not gonna deny stuff liek this, though it should be a given.
On Tuna, we had a mishap. A hot headed driver of his turbo'd Mini (also injecting a staged nitrous system) complete with all out suspension set up encluding A-arms et al, decided he had something to prove, and tryed to race the STi up front. The guy in the STi pulled of and let him pass, shortly after, the mini side swiped a wall out of a turn. He was fine, aside from his pride. He blamed it on a blow out, funny, cause the front tire was totally inflated, and the rear was semi deflated since the Volk rim was bent REAL bad. He messed up his suspension, both his Volks on the left sied, some body damage, and the drive to the wheels was broken. It was only a matter of time with this guy. (he spun at the last run )
As for my car, it ran quite well for MOST of the run. I was impressed that the temperature stayed so low dispite all the hard running and full boost. Towards the begining, the car began stumbling REAL BAD when i got into boost, I pulled over and checked it out... Turned out the ring clamp that held the J-pipe into the MAF was completly loose, and was moving freely! Did I forget to tighten it when I fixed the car? .....oops! Then the car ran fine, until it stumbled on boost roll on once more, huh? (ideas anyone) then it ran well all the way till I was at the end, when I was on Piuma, I excellerated out of a turn, and suddenly PSHHHH! it sounded like I blew a vacumm line of or something, but I think I may have either cracked something in the exhaust, or (hopefully) its just the flange is not tight enough, or the gasket (if there is one) may have blown? This exhaust area was removed when I worked on the car, so maybe my mistake again? Somehow i doubt its gonna that dandy. so I went easy on her. It seems like I'm loosing out a little on boost with this noise. I still had a GREAT time, and all you locals should definetly come out!
I'll have a link to a BUNCH of pictures soon, but heres a bad one of my car for now: [edit:next post, made this one hard to read cause you had to scroll side to side]

~Eyal
Old 02-16-2004, 01:11 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Old 02-16-2004, 01:32 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

More photos for tonight, expect a link to a lot tomorrow, enjoy! (sorry if your dial up, I am...

Old 02-16-2004, 02:11 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to drive those canyons at least once a month -- you're making me jealous! I'm glad you had fun.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:45 AM
Its_Lobelt
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Damn we had fun Eyal 951. I was the guy in the G35. The 944 is down till we figure out what is wrong. Anyway hope more listers show up next time.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:08 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Have any idea whats wrong with yours? Do you want help? Not that I know much, but hey...
We DO need more listers, hopefully this thread will get some attention.

These were posted on NASIOC:

Here is a photo of the mini that crashed:

Quote that sums it up nicely: "This is the vehicle that crashed into the barrier which saved the driver's life. However, he was too pissed to see that, he was only upset about his car. If the barrier was not there, he would have landed in a raveen."

~Eyal
Old 02-16-2004, 03:51 AM
Its_Lobelt
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Damn the ferraris went for a cruise too??? I would of loved to see how they were driving.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:37 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

my sentiments as well, oh well, we were to fast for em huh?
~Eyal
Old 02-16-2004, 11:06 AM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

Wait this is every weekend?

I might make the drive there just to look at the Ferraris... The red ones next to the Silver 360, those are hot.

-Kelly
Old 02-16-2004, 03:14 PM
FormulaOne10
Pro

Not to hijack this thread but how did that Mini hold up in the accident? The carbon fiber hood is what has me worried. I have had all the money ready to go for a cf hood and didn't pull the trigger. I'm worried that the hood will act as more of a large blade heading for my neck in an accident as opposed to a crumple zone. The weight savings are very big in numbers and location.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Well, there was actually VERY little body damage, only the fender right where it flares over the wheel was damaged, and only because the plastic trim peice that is there was broken off. The hood was untouched i think. This is cause his wheels protruded a bit and they trook the beating. he did slap that barrier kind of hard, he broke his suspension in front, and the car would not move when in gear, it didnt even try, which means he broke something in the drive, or the tranny or something. So The hood was perfectly fine.

...and yes, this is EVERY Sunday at 10 am, its kinda of a new thing, but growing already.
~Eyal
Old 02-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

to those interested, I found the problem with the leaking exhaust noise. I went looking for cracks, and was pleasently surprised when i found that the test snorkel that comes out to the top of the engine bay had completly loosened and dislodged, easy fix.
~Eyal
Old 02-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

anyone know if the car is susceptible to detonation or pinging when running hard on 91 octane with a low level of gas?
~Eyal
P.S. More pictures later today or tomorrow.

Quick Reply: [edit: AFTERMATH, good read], SoCal AM GTG and run