Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 Door Maintenance and Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 10:41 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 480 Posts
Default S2 Door Maintenance and Refresh

Hi there all-

I've tried searching but can't come up with a great list of things to do, or a DIY procedure, on door maintenance. I've found a good video on replacing the mechanism and some tips for removing the glass, as well as the Pelican guides. However, I have NOT found a solid list of what I should do if the mechanism is starting to get sticky or slow, or general upkeep on the door latch system.

Can someone here point me in the right direction?

As a second part of the request, because I am seeing some issues with my driver's side door, are there good sources of procedures to replace or fix the lighted lock ****? It looks like mine can just be pulled straight up, and I don't think the little LED is attached anymore...

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Glenn
Old 05-31-2019, 11:12 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lube the door handle, handle cables, window tracks, door lock latch with wd40 or grease. I replaced the lock connecting rod and handle cables when they broke.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:31 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
Hi there all-

I've tried searching but can't come up with a great list of things to do, or a DIY procedure, on door maintenance. I've found a good video on replacing the mechanism and some tips for removing the glass, as well as the Pelican guides. However, I have NOT found a solid list of what I should do if the mechanism is starting to get sticky or slow, or general upkeep on the door latch system.

Can someone here point me in the right direction?

As a second part of the request, because I am seeing some issues with my driver's side door, are there good sources of procedures to replace or fix the lighted lock ****? It looks like mine can just be pulled straight up, and I don't think the little LED is attached anymore...

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Glenn
Lighted lock ****? Is this the same type as found on the 968? If so, I had to do mine recently. It requires pulling the door card off. Use panel pullers to do that, such as these:
Amazon Amazon
Be aware that there is one panel clip near the front of the door that's tucked fairly deeply, not near the edge as the others are.. Pressing a thumb firmly into the door card and feeling around, you'll be able to feel where the harder bump is, to locate it.
The door card is also held in place to the door frame by a bent metal bar attached to the backside of the door pull. It feeds through a hole in the door frame. Lift the card upwards to release this bar from the frame.
I think this is the **** you seek: https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.co...MtMGwtbDQtZ2Fz

Once the card is removed, replacing the lighted **** is a piece of cake. The old one screws off the rod, and the new one screws on, and plugs into the plug...

Old 06-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

You guys are great, thank you.

I'm sure I'll keep finding little things that will need repair and this kind of help is invaluable.

Cheers!
Old 06-01-2019, 10:49 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

when I bought my first Raleigh Record 10 speed in 1973, the bike shop owner, Mr Greenly, showed me how to clean then lube the chain and adjust the derailleurs. he told me that wd-40 is a cleaner but not a lubricant so use 3 in 1 after cleaning. I broke a lot of bones on that thing and so did the guy that stole it while i was working in Yosemite.

I would suggest silicone paste or something non petroleum based that is compatible with the plastic parts.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:04 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

One of the videos I found strongly recommended the use of a NAPA product, SIL Glyde, a silicone lubricating compound. I assumed it was a silicone grease but the SDS says it's primarily castor oil (!). Any reason not to use MoS2 or white lithium? It seems like they hang out quite a bit longer without caking. The Sil Glyde gets very good reviews, even as a refresher for door and body seals, but I worry about the lifetime of organic based lubricants.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:33 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Mercedes sunroof synthetic lube.

http://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-m...All%20Products

Quick Reply: S2 Door Maintenance and Refresh