Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake/Clutch hydraulic system maintenance - looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 539 Posts
Default Brake/Clutch hydraulic system maintenance - looking for advice

I finally got the rear main seal and related work finished (torque tube and transaxle back in, drive axles torqued down, new fuel filter, etc. Boy I hope that oil leak is fixed!). In rebuilding the clutch slave cylinder there was some nasty, dark brown fluid that leaked out. I always knew that I'd need to bleed the system but the state of the fluid in the slave cylinder is making me wonder about the rest of the system.

So long as the car is up on the lift, and since I need to fix/adjust the emergency brake, I have been planning on installing stainless steel brake lines. Where I'm looking for advice is, given that I'm going to have to flush the whole system (clutch and brakes), and how cra##3d up the fluid seems to be, I'd like to give the calipers an extra good flush/cleaning. I'll have them off the car and fully removed anyway so I was thinking about some sort of a solvent flush, like denatured alcohol, to try and clean things out better. I'd like to avoid rebuilding the calipers. How worried would you all be about ethanol degrading the seals? If I go with that solvent, do you think a MityVac would be useful to force the liquid through the calipers (I'm thinking reverse the flow and push it through the bleeder valve). Is there another solvent that you'd recommend? I tend to think that the lower viscosity of the alcohol would help with the flushing, which is why I'm thinking about that instead of brake fluid.

Thoughts and experience are appreciated!

Cheers
Old 05-17-2019, 01:15 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

Just rebuild the calipers. It's not that hard. You'd be amazed at all the crud that sits in there. You'll never flush it out.

Quick Reply: Brake/Clutch hydraulic system maintenance - looking for advice