Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 in SCCA Stock Class: M030 legal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 12:28 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iloveporsches:
That's a good idea. Also: as a newbie (I'm assuming you're new or just getting into this), stock classes offer you a better platform to learn on.

If you upgrade to a 'better' suspension too early, your car's ability will likely overshadow YOUR inability. In stock form, your car already can do more than you are capable of. (Just ask a veteran autocrosser to drive your car for a run!) Improve your ability first and foremost.

Good luck! I hope you'll post back your autocross adventures....

-Z-man.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:50 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I know the car is way beyond my abilities now, with the worn out suspension and dry rotting POS tires! Going from what I have now, which is some boge/sachs shocks on rear (supposed to be M404, stupid PO), who-knows-what up front, worn out sway bar bushings, and old crappy tires, to new-everything with S-03's will be quite a change anyways.

Actually, my first auto-x will be in an FSAE car. We have a big course marked out at the basketball stadium parking lot, and as soon as our car is built (March 1st target) we're starting driver training/ selection. I'll let you know how that goes, although I'm expecting to put a few marks on our shiny new cones. I did turn out a top-10 time when we went gokarting in November though, and most of these guys either track their cars or autocross a lot...
Old 02-13-2004, 02:10 AM
ljd-924SE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm quite happy leaving my 924S sport edition in SCCA E-stock as long as i can stand it. i'm really only up against NA RX-7's, 1.6L miatas, NA MR2's, datsun Z-cars, and 944's. i feel that in this class, the limiting factor will always be my driving, not my car.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:09 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by 2002M3Drew
Are you talking about SCCA classing or is this PCA classing? In SCCA, I'm pretty positive that you can only change shocks/struts in stock, and the FRONT roll bar. If you touch the rear bar, you are bumped to SP. Springs also must remain OEM, as does ride height (if using adjustable shocks).
Oops, yeah - should have read "Front Sways are free", not rear.

Here's the text from the current stock rules regarding shocks and struts:
Adjustable spring perches are allowed, but the spring load-bearing surface must be in the same location relative to the shock mounting points as on the standard part. Shims may be used to achieve compliance.
I'm still not clear on how this rule is to be interpreted.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:04 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This rule takes into account shocks with adjustable perces, like the Konis. For example, on my Konis in my Miata, there are three perches in the shock housing: Highest is supposed to be "stock" (I think it's a tad higher, but what the heck), middle is "R" package height (R package was a factory option on 93-97 Miatas that included Bilsteins), and the lowest perch is even lower than R, a pretty big drop from stock. Interpreting the rule, you have to use the setting that approximates the correct ride height of your car. So, my car is a 1992, there was no R package available, so I needed to use the highest stock setting. (In Nationals they supposedly want to see the shock perch setting actually welded to the shock to make sure it isn;t moved, but not necessary locally). Shims are required when you can't get to factory ride height with one of the settings, or if the shock isn't adjustable for height and it lowers the car below what was stock.

Quick Reply: 944 in SCCA Stock Class: M030 legal?