Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor spark cylinder 1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019 | 05:48 AM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Default Poor spark cylinder 1 ?

so as part of the restoration of my 1986 924s I had the engine out for a reseal etc and the engine is now back in the car however while trying to set the idle/co2 we have found a misfire/poor spark on cylinder 1.

pull the plug lead on cylinder 1 no effect, other 3 leads noticeable engine change,tested the spark at end of lead less than 2,3,and 4

replaced as part of refurb

Plugs and leads
dizzy cap
fuel filter

we changed the plug to another cylinder and it was ok, resistance check on plug lead and coil also ok
12v on each of the coil terminals with ignition on
continuity check on the green wire from the coil to 9 pin plug ok
resistance check on plug lead bang on

so any suggestions for what else to check much appreciated, may be a red herring however the rev counter has also stopped working I cleaned and checked all electrical plug connections.

I have read a fair few threads on the speed/reference sensors which appear to also be the driver for the rev counter (and green wire from coil ?) so still have to check the gap at these sensors

would the car start if the gap was out ?

the engine ran fine when we took it out the rev counter also worked so pretty sure its electrical/loom/sensor

all vacuum pipes have been checked

any wisdom appreciated on any particular checks required
Old 03-26-2019 | 02:59 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Now had a bit of result but not sure what I fixed so re-checked the multi pin connectors and the wires at the sensors and also removed and cleaned the injector plug put it all back together and happy days running on 4 cylinders nicely so will see over the next few days if this is resolved or temp fix,

rev counter still not working, I did read a thread on pelican who had similar issues and the rev counter came to life once he took it for a run here`s hoping
Old 03-27-2019 | 12:45 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I bet if you pull back the boots on those connectors, some will reveal corrossion or other wiring issues. Unfortunately, at this point we're experiencing issues that aren't due to the usual book-diagnostic suspects but to age-related rubber, wire, plastic, etc failures

Lindsay seems to have good wiring harness options... or there's some good threads on build-your-own around here

I thought rev counter gets signal from KLR.. not certain though; quick search will find it

Quick Reply: Poor spark cylinder 1 ?