Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires! Who Do You Like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004 | 03:56 PM
roadrunner
Instructor

Matt,

What are your opinions on the Potenza 750's? I had a set of 730's and I loved them for an highway/mild sport tire as they were quiet and decently grippy for me. The 750's have gone upmarket a bit compared with the 730's and the ES100's, but I would definitely buy Potenzas again, in any of the 750-S0-2/S0-3 lines...

Thanks,
Jay
Old 02-10-2004 | 04:19 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Kumho 712's on my 951. Absolute garbage on the track or for auto-x. Can't wait to burn those off and get something better. Not only did I get ripped by the Tire shop (a tirerack affiliate too), but they did a horrible job balancing the wheels and putting them back on my car. Fixed that problem and found that my bald P-zeros had more grip that these.

Cheap good performers I hear are the ES100's. Never heard any complaints about those. Yoko AVS sports are descent too, my Dad runs those and they are very nice.
Old 02-10-2004 | 04:53 PM
User 462021
Banned

Originally posted by OriginalSterm
Not only did I get ripped by the Tire shop (a tirerack affiliate too),

Thats a joke. Don't depend on a tirerack "recommendation"...
Old 02-10-2004 | 04:59 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Originally posted by i am a TRAITOR
Thats a joke. Don't depend on a tirerack "recommendation"...
I didn't. I found them, went to the shop based on recommendations by other drivers (not P-car), had them order the tires from tirerack.com. Got overcharged and they were very unprofessional.

tirerack.com had nothing to do with me getting the tires other than they were the place they were ordered from.
Old 02-10-2004 | 05:53 PM
User 462021
Banned

Originally posted by OriginalSterm
I didn't. I found them, went to the shop based on recommendations by other drivers (not P-car), had them order the tires from tirerack.com. Got overcharged and they were very unprofessional.

tirerack.com had nothing to do with me getting the tires other than they were the place they were ordered from.
Ah, I see. I thought you ment that you bought them from TR and they picked a shop in your area.
Old 02-10-2004 | 06:06 PM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

This has been interesting to me as I'd been convinced to try some Kumho tires in a month or so when there's less snow and I can drive again.

Summer tires versus all-season tires still has be a bit confused. Are summer tires in general (Kumho, ES100, etc) all okay in colder weather when it's around zero outside? If they are, I'll get summer tires and skip all-season. (I wanted to get a set of snow wheels/tires, but funds got tight and now I'm putting off all purchases for a while.)
Old 02-10-2004 | 06:40 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Don't even think of using those Kumhos on snow, no matter how deep...would make a funny video though. I got caught in a late Spring storm up in Truckee with a Miata. Even a melted slush gripped like a dachshund on glass.
Old 02-10-2004 | 06:50 PM
User 462021
Banned

Originally posted by Bryan Welch
This has been interesting to me as I'd been convinced to try some Kumho tires in a month or so when there's less snow and I can drive again.

Summer tires versus all-season tires still has be a bit confused. Are summer tires in general (Kumho, ES100, etc) all okay in colder weather when it's around zero outside? If they are, I'll get summer tires and skip all-season. (I wanted to get a set of snow wheels/tires, but funds got tight and now I'm putting off all purchases for a while.)

Summer tires won't have the same gripping capabilities as an all-season tire when it is cold outside.
Old 02-11-2004 | 12:05 AM
Matt H
Race Director

I like the RE750 much more than the RE730. The introductory price was less then the 730 but with the need to cover costs of raw materials increases, etc. They are trending about 5% higher than the 730. IMHO, it is a much nicer tire (though there was nothing wrong with the 730 aside from it being incredibly loud).
Old 02-11-2004 | 12:28 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by UDPride
I can only speak for Kumhos on my WRX, but they are the best summer/rain tires I have ever owned on any car -- ever. And Ive owned the expensive stuff too. And thats not the AWD talking. I got 20K miles on them and I drive them very hard. I actually think they grip better now than they do 10K miles ago. Maybe on a Porsche they are crap. Could be.
I need to revise and extend my remarks above. I DO NOT have Kumhos on my WRX. I had a total brainfart. Ive got a set of Sumitomo HTRZs. Hell I never look at my tires unless they need air or they give me problems. I think I had Kumhos on the brain because a crapload of people in the WRX world replace the stock RE90s(??) with Kumho 712s and some off market rims that are equally cheap. And I had thought about getting Kumhos too at the time I got the car, but in the end I did a little more research and ended up going with the Sumitomos which comparitively were not a whole lot more. I got them from TireRack when I got my OZ rims.

I still stand by my statement though that the tires on my car in my opinion perform fabulously. Its just that they are Sumis. If they are crap tires too in everyones opinion, I dont know what you tell ya, but my car goes like a banshee in them. They go so well in the winter in fact I dont even change them and they are summer/rain tires.

If you want opinions of the Ecsta(sp?) 712s, go to NASIOC.com because a ton of 2.5RS and WRX ppl have them. I cannot comment on them.

Now, who took my medication?
Old 02-11-2004 | 12:37 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Umm, . . .712's blow. . .

The only tire I ever regretted buying and Oh, happy the day when I sold them. I'm not usually real picky about my tires either. I've never regretted a Bridgstone purchse and the best tires I ever had for street were . . . a set of Firestone SZ50's
Old 02-11-2004 | 01:06 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

The only experiences I've had with Kumhos were Victoracer V700's on FFR spec racers... predictable, load when heated up and driving over gravel (some war veterans have been know to get flashbacks) and don't even say anything to you when they do go out... Although they balled up after driving on a few "spirited miles," They were the most amazing street tires I've driven on

...ok, ok, so what if they are DOT race tires?!?!
Old 02-11-2004 | 01:12 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Hey Matt, I tried to PM you... your box is full, though.
Old 02-11-2004 | 03:42 AM
xcessiv
Instructor

I can't really speak to the track performance, but I have never been happier than with Potenza RE-950s. Excellent wet traction (needed in Portland). Nice looking, grippy and quiet. Light years better than the Proxes I had Falken, I can't remeber the model, but they were higher performance all-season, they were good, but didn't last.
Old 02-11-2004 | 06:07 AM
Francesco944
Advanced

Man there are a ton of reply's. My advice, if you get this far, would need a simple question answered; how do you drive your car?? If you drive always 'easy', definately go with the good price good value Yokohama's. My last set were really nice! If you drive hard, then you should get what you deserve by paying for them! Happy medium is a good thing too. Ask yourself what are your tires worth to you? I wish I had the money to blow on the best of the best, driving brings me such joy after all!

PS! TECHNO DUCK??? Why wouldn't you get out of the 195's??? Those are for ricers and such..., absolutely get into the 205's..., it's only money man, your car will love you!!!!! 215+ is even that much better trust ME!!!

Quick Reply: Tires! Who Do You Like?