Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it Possible to Reseal Hatch Glass Properly After it was Caulked with Silicone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:32 AM
Kwazii
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Is it Possible to Reseal Hatch Glass Properly After it was Caulked with Silicone?

So my hatch glass is completely separated along the top edge. My plan is to remove the glass and reseal the whole thing properly using Sitka sealant. The only issue is that the previous-previous owner "caulked" it. I don't know if it was water-based caulk, or silicone but I'm just going to assume silicone. Is it possible to completely remove the silicone and get proper primer adhesion, or should I play it safe and get a new hatch? I don't want to waste time doing this if silicone will still be in the glass pores and prevent the primer from sticking.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:43 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 259 Posts

Glass doesn't have pores.

Remove the caulk using a razor blade at a shallow angle, then scrub the surface with an abrasive pad soaked in mineral spirits to get rid of any silicone residue.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:07 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Any place where even a trace of silicone caulk remains nothing will stick so clean it well, usually sanding is required. Way back when I was a an aircraft mechanic I used to see aircraft owners apply layer after layer of silicone caulk one on top of another in a futile effort to stop a window or windshield leak. Sometimes the results were comical with sealant smeared for an inch or two across the window and fuselage. While recently junk yard scrounging parts for the wife's VW Cabriolet I came across a pitiful VW ragtop with a 4 inch wide band of silicone caulk from the top of the windshield to back over the convertible top in an attempt at stop water.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:07 AM
eshane
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

38 years as a Missile design engineer, materials engineering subject matter expert, with Lockheed Martin Aerospace. Once silicone is applied to any surface, it can never be entirely removed. Silicone has a completely different atomic structure from carbon-based organics and does not react to any petroleum-based solvents like typical carbon-based organic materials (epoxies, polyurethanes, elastomers, et. al.). Once silicone comes into contact with a surface, nothing will ever stick permanently to it again. Clean it to a fair-thee-well, sand it, grit-blast it, acid-etch it, what-ever. Silicone migrates terribly, forms a mono-molecular layer (single atoms thick) that is detectable only with laboratory equipment. For permanent silicone bonding, silicone primers that form this thin layer are used, because silicone atoms don't attach to carbon-based atoms very well.
No silicone-based products are ever allowed on the production floor, or even allowed in the manufacturing building, where bonding or painting is performed. Out in the real world, exposed to atmospheric conditions (humidity, rain, melting snow, temperature extremes, sunlight, etc.) it will eventually debond. Ask me how I know.........
Old 02-17-2019, 02:08 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by eshane
38 years as a Missile design engineer, materials engineering subject matter expert, with Lockheed Martin Aerospace. Once silicone is applied to any surface, it can never be entirely removed. Silicone has a completely different atomic structure from carbon-based organics and does not react to any petroleum-based solvents like typical carbon-based organic materials (epoxies, polyurethanes, elastomers, et. al.). Once silicone comes into contact with a surface, nothing will ever stick permanently to it again. Clean it to a fair-thee-well, sand it, grit-blast it, acid-etch it, what-ever. Silicone migrates terribly, forms a mono-molecular layer (single atoms thick) that is detectable only with laboratory equipment. For permanent silicone bonding, silicone primers that form this thin layer are used, because silicone atoms don't attach to carbon-based atoms very well.
No silicone-based products are ever allowed on the production floor, or even allowed in the manufacturing building, where bonding or painting is performed. Out in the real world, exposed to atmospheric conditions (humidity, rain, melting snow, temperature extremes, sunlight, etc.) it will eventually debond. Ask me how I know.........
May I ask: to keep a flapping original windshield rubber surround trim down, I smeared silicone into its track and kinda glued the surrounded down. When time comes to replace my windshield (soon), will I have an issue? I assume I can buy new surround trim
Old 02-20-2019, 02:52 PM
eshane
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an expert on 944 windshield installation, but looking at mine, I don't believe the rubber surround is part of the actual windshield bonding operation. It appears to just "grab" the windshield edge in a groove. The actual bonding agent adheres to the windshield frame structure. I'd check the price of a new rubber surround, it may be just a minor cost in relation to installing a new windshield and may well be the smarter thing to do. I'm assuming the windshield is being replaced due to damage, not debonding from the structure. As an example, put some silicone on a surface, smear it, then do everything you can to remove the residue. When it looks really good and clean, I mean really really clean, take a piece of adhesive tape, strongest you can find, and stick it to the supposedly clean surface, remove the tape and then fold it over on itself, sticky-side to sticky-side. You will be able to pull it apart easily, both side have been contaminated with the silicone residue that remained after cleaning. Nasty stuff silicone. Works really fantastically in some applications, but woe to the assembler that has to rework something that was bonded with silicone, unless is is reusing silicone to rebond. May look sound, but the bond really has no adhesive strength.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:07 PM
SecaBlue
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 35 Posts

Back on the original post question... out of curiosity, how do you know it is silicon?... because it is clear? I have a feeling that my rear hatch has had an attempt at a re-seal using something black (I can tell because it appears quite messy in places), and is also separating in places although no leaks yet... no idea what they used though.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:26 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

It's kinda scary the amount of info/knowledge/experience Rennlist has a collective. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:27 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwazii
So my hatch glass is completely separated along the top edge. My plan is to remove the glass and reseal the whole thing properly using Sitka sealant. The only issue is that the previous-previous owner "caulked" it. I don't know if it was water-based caulk, or silicone but I'm just going to assume silicone. Is it possible to completely remove the silicone and get proper primer adhesion, or should I play it safe and get a new hatch? I don't want to waste time doing this if silicone will still be in the glass pores and prevent the primer from sticking.
Which SIKA sealant/adhesive is correct?
Old 02-21-2019, 03:18 PM
Kwazii
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 931guru
Glass doesn't have pores.

Remove the caulk using a razor blade at a shallow angle, then scrub the surface with an abrasive pad soaked in mineral spirits to get rid of any silicone residue.
Maybe microscopic "inconsistencies" is a better descriptor... *shrug*

Thank you, that's basically what I assumed, but didn't have the expertise to back it up

PS: sounds like you get to work on some cool stuff!

Originally Posted by SecaBlue
Back on the original post question... out of curiosity, how do you know it is silicon?... because it is clear? I have a feeling that my rear hatch has had an attempt at a re-seal using something black (I can tell because it appears quite messy in places), and is also separating in places although no leaks yet... no idea what they used though.
I don't know, so I'm just assuming the worst-case scenario. If it's black, I'd guess that's some kind of automotive silicone, like RTV/gasket maker.

Originally Posted by SeaCay
Which SIKA sealant/adhesive is correct?
I haven't gotten that far yet. I've just been doing a lot of reading about people resealing their hatches and the consensus seems to be that the 3M stuff fails, and Sika is much better because of the 2-part primer. Example. I'm going to check out a local windshield/glass place to see what they use and buy from them if possible.

Sounds like my best bet is to keep an eye out for a nicer hatch. My rubber spoiler is badly UV-damaged so a new hatch would kill both of those birds. Thanks, all
Old 02-21-2019, 04:16 PM
SecaBlue
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwazii

I don't know, so I'm just assuming the worst-case scenario. If it's black, I'd guess that's some kind of automotive silicone, like RTV/gasket maker.
But Sika also comes in black (have used it a lot in yacht decks)... so don't judge it by the colour.

I'm wondering if there is any kind of 'test' you can do to determine if it is silicone before you get too excited about replacing the hatch? I can cut a small amount off mine to check if there is a way
Old 02-26-2019, 10:25 AM
Kwazii
Intermediate

Thumbs up

I contacted Sika for a product recommendation since they offer so many, and this is what they had to say:

We do have an application manual regarding autoglass repairs on our website: https://usa.sika.com/industry/en/index/resources/download-industry/AGR-TTM.html. I would recommend looking this over and if you have more questions we are happy to answer them. Pay attention to the pre-treatment recommendations and adhesive application details. Of the products available, SikaTack ASAP+ is the best in my opinion, but it does require pre-heating to 80°C prior to applying. Of our cold applied products, I would recommend SikaTack MACH 30.

Quick Reply: Is it Possible to Reseal Hatch Glass Properly After it was Caulked with Silicone?