Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: scholarship / jobs

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 01:08 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: scholarship / jobs

I was wondering if anyone knew of any scholarships available related to Formula SAE, cars in general, or any other relations with mechanical engineering??

Also, I've worked at a race shop in northern VA for 2 years now, but wouldn't mind learning more about Porsche specifics when it comes to working on cars. Does anyone know of a shop in the Manassas/Winchester area that might be willing to take me in for a bit?

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-05-2004, 01:13 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Is there a UTI (Universal Technical Institute) in your area?
They have special programs for working with Porsche only.
http://www.uticorp.com/
Old 02-05-2004, 01:24 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info... I've looked into that, apparently you only get in if you get a really high GPA, I believe. I work on cars, but I'm not sure how they grade that, and wouldn't want to spend that much money without anything definite you know?

I'm more looking for a specialty shop that someone might know of in my area that would be willing to take me under their wing

thanks for the tip though Cyrus!
Old 02-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Having gone through part of the UTI program (they own MMI ~ Motorcycle Mechanics Institute), I'd STRONGLY reccomend that everyone AVOID UTI. They run the school more like a business than a school (haha, we got our money, F$%! you), the instructors were only there to collect a paycheck and could care less if you learn something or not. All they really 'taught' was how to read a service manual and which end of a screwdriver was the business end. Anything else, and you had to learn it yourself ~ and that's MUCH cheaper to do on your own, away from a school... by doing Exactly what Kevin's looking to do.

Good luck finding a place.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:22 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you go to the competitions for FSAE? If so, I know there is always a ton of automotive companies with reps at the competitions and they are looking for resumes. You could either get a coop, internship, or real job out of the deal if you know what you're doing.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:40 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

I went last year but won't be going this year. As the story goes, I got a little screwed over by some of the faculty/team members at my school and decided I wasn't going to waste as much time as I had last year to be d*cked over. Another reason is I'll have a car to support and will need that time to make money

But yeah, some guy from Honda R&D (for the CART engines) gave me his card and said to call him when I was graduating. I thought that was pretty kool.

I might go back if/when I transfer to Virginia Tech, and will be on the team even if I don't.

Hey Brian, thanks for the tip! Good luck to you to on the move up north by the way!
Old 02-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

This may not be applicable to working on cars, but there are a lot of various engineering-type (and other) projects here:

reu programs

Some of them pay pretty well, plus you can pretty much go anyplace in the country. I did one two summers ago and got $4200 plus a travel allowance, room and board for 10 weeks. They are all sponsored by the NSF. Maybe somebody else may be interested...
Old 02-05-2004, 03:47 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

One of my friends goes to UTI he is paying a lot well his parents are paying most of it lucky. Still he has been going there since last fall and I still know more then him about how to fix cars then he does. He went into the BMW/Porsche field and looks like he is getting just screwed over. I'm hoping Eibell Performance Inc. will take me in soon they said onces business picks up I'll have a job at the bottom of the food chain. They also said that's all they can offer me but they know I know more then the people in that group so I will work my way up. Anyother shop here in Tampa bay area care to take someone in?
Old 02-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I'm in the same boat of looking for a shop to work at, and to learn. Anyone need someone in LA or have any leads. (Thats LA and LA area)
~Eyal
Old 02-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

seb928s ~ your buddy is getting a raw deal, but there's Some he can do. I jumpstarted my advanced learning by CONSTANTALLY bitching and moaning about how BAD the school was to Every person who'd listen. I had a recurring appointment with the school president every 6 weeks (just after the end of a 'clinic') where I'd bitch and moan to him about the crap I saw and how pathetic the school was. I also had ideas (LOTS of them) on how to improve the school... several of which I saw happen while I was there (included firing one guy). But he REALLY needs to take the bull by the horns and go out of his way to learn... he can NOT rely on the instructors to push him or offer information... so if he's not a go-getter, then he's going to end up with some paper that says he went to school and he might have some certs but he won't be able to hold a job once they see that it's all just on paper and there are no real skills.

This is pretty much the way 'Tech' or 'Trade' schools work, across the board ~ in the IT/Computer fields as well (I laugh at all the comercials about the 'wide open computer technology field', I'm in my 8th month of unemployment).... and private professional schools aren't much better (Fiance is in a private post-grad school for her Dr. of Pharmacy degree).
Old 02-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I am considering UTI and then the Porsche thing After I get my bachelors. Anyone know about the one in Rancho Cucamunga? (So Cal)
~Eyal
Old 02-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

There's one in Rancho?? That's like 5 minutes from my place.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

yea, there is... thats like an hour and a half from my place. (traffic)
Old 02-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

eyal951, pm
Old 02-05-2004, 08:59 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, if you do one of the Porsche programs, you are required to work a minimum of twelve months at a dealership. You also would need a lot of your own tools to do so. Just something else to think about.

Quick Reply: OT: scholarship / jobs