Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought a 1989 944 S2...Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 09:38 PM
Red944ls1
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought a 1989 944 S2...Need Help

Hello I recently purchased a 1989 Porsche 944 S2. I don't have much history about this car as I purchased it from a dealer that was selling it as is and he stated that he had no knowledge of its history. When I purchased the car it did start. I changed the reference sensor as I did not see TAC bounce. The car still didn't start. I also changed the DME relay and pulled and the DME to inspect it. Next I changed the fuel pump and fuel filter. Now I've got in the car to start.

Those were the easy things to determine. Spawn getting inside the car when I first purchased it I noticed that the clutch pedal traveled all the way to the floor and stay there. I noticed at the reservoir for the brakes was was almost empty. I bled the brakes and try to also bleed the clutch master cylinder. Now the clutch pedal is rock hard. It no longer will travel to the floor it goes down a couple inches and stops but it will not go any further than that like there's a brick under the pedal. That is problem 1.

Problem 2 is that when the transmission is engaged in any gear the car will still roll. I thought possibly it was the link between the gear shift lever and the actual transmission however I manually shifted the gear by going under the car in selecting the gear on the trans itself. The wheels will still freely move. Whether the car is off the ground or on the ground that does not matter the tires will still move while the car is in gear any gear 1st through 5th and reverse. When looking in the inspection window in the transmission with it in gear I do see the torque shaft turning.

The question I have at the moment is for my problem 1 what would you diagnose it as? Could the fork be broken to the clutch be broken?

For problem number to do you feel like the transmission itself is broken ring and pinion gear or something else? I do not hear any grinding and it's easy to turn.

Thoughts
Old 01-07-2019, 12:58 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

On my 89 944 T a sleeve failed in the clutch, part #2 in the attached pic. The parts jammed the pedal from going all the way down, and left the clutch engaged despite pedal pressure.
When you drop the trans to get to the clutch, that will be a perfect time to check out the trans issue. If you are near Cleveland, I've got a lift and some free time!

Quick Reply: Just Bought a 1989 944 S2...Need Help