Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Dude I love the paint scheme! Your car looks awesome... Check Vans Video, I dont think it takes much to hang these brakes, when I was carefully scraping the pistons I got quite a bit of varnish off them... Didnt seem like much at the time, BUT.. What a difference a tiny bit of Gunk made... I could feel confident to brake at 300Ft at 110mph... Going into turn one at WGI ... and the "code brown" moments went away going into the bus stop at 130.... Im in-between coats of paint on my new "Stacker" , so havent been online tonight much... Wife took the enclosed trailer for winter storage so now I have one too many 951s so I have to stack them on top of one another...
Old 01-08-2019, 10:52 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
OK. Found it on a different site:

https://www.miataturbo.net/suspensio...er-blue-97675/

It's a video, the dye comes from McMaster Carr. You will have to put up with the video blogger expressing his justifiably irritated attitude. I was particularly enamored of "F**** the NTHSA". It defies logic and common sense we actually pay for and put up with this nonsense.
Thanks for finding that for me. I do have to admit, he was entertaining.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:56 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Dude I love the paint scheme! Your car looks awesome... Check Vans Video, I dont think it takes much to hang these brakes, when I was carefully scraping the pistons I got quite a bit of varnish off them... Didnt seem like much at the time, BUT.. What a difference a tiny bit of Gunk made... I could feel confident to brake at 300Ft at 110mph... Going into turn one at WGI ... and the "code brown" moments went away going into the bus stop at 130.... Im in-between coats of paint on my new "Stacker" , so havent been online tonight much... Wife took the enclosed trailer for winter storage so now I have one too many 951s so I have to stack them on top of one another...
How did you remove the "varnish" from the puck bores? You mentioned "Gunk". This has become a really intormative and enjoyable forum discussion.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:38 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mj951
Good tip.

One warning with the Motive Bleeder, if you've owned it for a few years do yourself a favor and replace the plastic tubing.
Brake fluid degrades the plastic and it will eventually fail or split creating quite the mess.
I just wanted to amplify this; I had the clear line on my Motive let go (kink in the line weakened it) when I left it pressurized and unattended over night. I went out the next day and it had sprayed a couple liters of brake fluid all over the engine and both front quarter panels. I was able to get it off before it damaged the paint on the quarter panels, but I'm going to have to re-powdercoat my valve covers. Be afraid...
Old 01-08-2019, 03:07 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

I just wanted to amplify this; I had the clear line on my Motive let go (kink in the line weakened it) when I left it pressurized and unattended over night. I went out the next day and it had sprayed a couple liters of brake fluid all over the engine and both front quarter panels. I was able to get it off before it damaged the paint on the quarter panels, but I'm going to have to re-powdercoat my valve covers. Be afraid...
Good precautionary note. I have already purchased a small roll of tubing because my MF bleeder is a few years old. Thanks. Also, I just ordered some dye tracer from McMaster Carr along with 3 ltrs of ATE 200 for future flushes. I also have a pint of generic DOT 4 laying around for when I pull and rebuild the calipers. Yes, I'm keeping the car.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:26 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is coming in pretty hard. Sorry to digress.. Did you ever run on the track back in the early 80's? That corner was always the most exciting spot on the track back then, and the slowest. Wish I had some pictures from back then so people could see how nasty that corner was in the old days. Turn 1 had no pavement outside the white line. There was no chicane on the back straight back then either so turn 5 was exciting to. Man that was a LONG time ago, I am getting old!

Found a picture from back then. Circa 1980. This is from Corner 2 looking back to Corner1.
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017...7027090759.jpg
Old 01-08-2019, 08:13 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
How did you remove the "varnish" from the puck bores? You mentioned "Gunk". This has become a really intormative and enjoyable forum discussion.

I was VERY careful and used a VERY sharp razor blade, NEVER use it "forwards" where it could catch, just kind of Dragged it backwards, there will be a "buildup" on the back of the razor blade. This is the real trick.... The pistons are coated with some sort of teflon so one "Nick" and it is all over, go get another piston.. Dont be afraid, Vans Video on youtube explains it well.. As a matter of fact, let me help you out a bit further... Link---->..
Old 01-08-2019, 08:18 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lamrith
That is coming in pretty hard. Sorry to digress.. Did you ever run on the track back in the early 80's? That corner was always the most exciting spot on the track back then, and the slowest. Wish I had some pictures from back then so people could see how nasty that corner was in the old days. Turn 1 had no pavement outside the white line. There was no chicane on the back straight back then either so turn 5 was exciting to. Man that was a LONG time ago, I am getting old!

Found a picture from back then. Circa 1980. This is from Corner 2 looking back to Corner1.
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017...7027090759.jpg
Well Make no mistake There was one time when I lost the rear end going in too hard and had to go 4 wheels off..(I was able to catch it) . Dont think I would of experimented going in that hard if there was still Grass and Gravel Traps...LOL
Old 01-08-2019, 08:45 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

There was one time when I lost the rear end going in too hard and had to go 4 wheels off..(I was able to catch it).
Curious. Were you running an LSD then?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:56 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Curious. Were you running an LSD then?
Yes, Stock AOR Trans.. but It was my fault, I kept going in Deeper and Deeper to see how late I could actually brake... Found it!!!
Old 01-08-2019, 10:43 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Yes, Stock AOR Trans.. but It was my fault, I kept going in Deeper and Deeper to see how late I could actually brake... Found it!!!
I do not envy you.

I transplanted a stock ZF LSD into my stock AOR with the assistance of Dr. Dimi. It made all the difference!

Regards,

Quick Reply: Turbo brake issues