Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken door handle? Don't buy a new one just yet!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 03:37 AM
MTM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken door handle? Don't buy a new one just yet!

The driver's outer door handle on my 944 broke a couple weeks ago. Until today, I had been either driving the other car or getting in through the passenger side. When I took it apart, I found that the part that pivots vertically had broken right at the pivot point. Actually what broke was the main part of the door handle where the pin of the pivoting piece goes through. So anyway, I thought I would have to buy a new handle for sure, since I couldn't find the little part of the loop that broke off, and even if I could find it, gluing it back on probably wouldn't be very strong.

But then I noticed that there is another, non-broken, pivot point right above it. So I took out the passenger door handle and swapped the parts so that I could install both handles, flipped over and switched sides. So now the passenger door handle is upside down and mounted on the driver side, and vice versa.

If your door handle ever breaks this way, remember that you can just swap it with the one on the other side of the car!
Old 02-02-2004, 07:28 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool, suppose but doesnt that make the passenger side not able to open still? seems likea lot of work , rather than just buying a new handle.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With mine, it was an excuse to buy and install 968 door handles....

Dal.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:13 PM
MTM
Pro

No the passenger side still works, because you end up using the pivoting point that was never used before when it was on the driver side. It's really not hard at all to swap the 2 handles. Each one has only 1 screw and 2 snap-together parts to get at.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

So the other pivot point has a hole in it for the pin ??
or does a hole have to be drilled.

I have the same situation, but no money to buy a good used one.
I thought it was the linkage, and purchased one ( waste of $$ ).

So the locking mechanism arm has to be swapped as well, or the whole lock unit ??

Quick Reply: Broken door handle? Don't buy a new one just yet!