Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water Pump

I was underneath my car a few weeks ago changing the oil, and I noticed coolant all over my steering rack and the power steering pump. I took a look around but could not find the source of the leak. I had been losing about 1L every 2 months, and I have a tiny leak where one of the heater lines comes off the block at the back, so I presumed that was my problem, until I found all this coolant.
Anyways, this continued up until recently, when I removed the lower rad hose to install a lower rad hose heater.
So, I put the heater in, and put it all together, and lost over 2L of coolant the first day!! I know some of it was to air bubbles, but that is severe!
So, I pull myself under the car, and I notice the bottom of the rad hose has a slow dribble of coolant coming from it, and the drain plug has a drip underneath it.
Now, I tightened the drain plug (it was a metal bolt, that is not normal, is it? I am worried I overtightened it now), and snugged up a hose clamp that felt a little loose.
I crawled back under the car, still has a dribble.
So, I check the clamp where it goes on to the water pump, and it was a little loose too, I snugged it up, but I STILL have a drip there.
I ran my hand under the water pump, everything was damp, but I am fairly certain that the coolant is running down the bottom of the water pump housing then down the rad hose.
So, now that you guys have all the history, it's question time.
It looks like the water pump bolts onto the block, and has some kind of gasket in there? (I couldn't see it, the gasket is a guess)
Is it possible that is leaking?
Seems to me if it was leaking around the shaft, wouldn't the coolant be coming out of the timing belt cover? Or am I in for replacing a water pump?

It has been leaking ever since I bought the car, but has slowly gotten worse, and I think it's probably at about 1L/month right now.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Zero10
Race Car

bumpity bump bump.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well for starters when was the waterpump last changed? There is a funky shaped gasket (and expensive at that, i believe $10 from Porsche) that goes inbetween the pump and engine block. Is it possible the nuts that secture the pump are coming lose? I doubt thats likley, but you never know.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Zero10
Race Car

schlicten, it sounds like on yours the shaft was leaking perhaps?
Mine has been leaking for quite some time, but I was pretty sure there had to be a gasket in there.
I checked all the bolts, I don't know what they are supposed to be torqued to, but I gave mine an extra 1/16th turn just to make sure they are all the same, and indeed they are.
I would imagine I will have to pull all the front covers, belts and such to get the pump out to change the gasket =(
Well, I'll let it go a little longer, see how bad it is, but for what it's worth, it's belt time already.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Zero, those bolts should be tightened to 6lbs of torque.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Zero10
Race Car

***6***!!
that is awfully loose, they were tighter than that...
Hmm, perhaps the housing is warped or something... =(
I am now afraid to pull it apart.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Straight from Clarks Garage,

"Tighten the water pump nuts and bolts to 8 Nm (6 ft-lbs). "
Old 02-02-2004, 11:39 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a leaking water pump to me. You might as well replace it even if it turns out to be a bad gasket....
Old 02-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Hmm.. I just don't know if I can afford to replace it. It will be about 700 beans to get a new pump. If it is just the housing leaking, I am not sure what to do, perhaps I will take it apart and check everything out before I order anything?...

Quick Reply: Water Pump