Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads: Who Do You Like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 11:43 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

97s aren't street pads.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Turbo_Ed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using the Hawk HP+ for over a year now and I love them. They are a little dirty and noisy but that is a small price to pay for the braking power. If you only drve on the street, maybe try the normal Hawk HP.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:29 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by Turbo_Ed
I've been using the Hawk HP+ for over a year now and I love them. They are a little dirty and noisy but that is a small price to pay for the braking power. If you only drve on the street, maybe try the normal Hawk HP.
As said before, either Hawk HPS or HP+, they are awesome, and cheap at vertex.

Luis, that's seems like a lot for those parts...
Old 02-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 990 Likes on 594 Posts

I'm probably biased, but I like Porterfields for the track. My favorite all around pads are Ferodo. I figure high prices for a good track pad are not a big deal when compared to the performance and longevity.

Matt
Old 02-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to concur with the Hawk HP Plus recommendation. Been rallying on these for five years. Amazing performance - okay dust and not too noisy. They are great for street because they are effective from 0-800 degrees - meaning they have bite whether cold or hot. They won't stand up to track use - there are lots of great racing pads - but for street - auto-x or other such application - they are awesome.

I'd be interested to know why some folks don't like them.

RK
Old 02-02-2004, 12:18 AM
mpw
Instructor

Originally posted by handscreate
MPW, can you tell me why you don't like the HAWK pads?
I've only used the HPS pads as a street pad, and this is in a 3700 lb. S4, so in a 2800 lb. 944 it might be totally different. However, that they have 0 bite is my biggest complaint. The just don't seem to want to stop the car. I know it's not the brakes, because I've use Pagid Orange and Cobalt VR pads on the track with excellent results. The other problem is that they rust, badly. I've never seen a stream of rust on my wheels like I have with the Hawks. It's also very difficult to clean, as it does not want to come off. After is rains, I can expect to see some nice red streaks bonded to the surface of my wheels. I don't get this with the other pads I've run, whether the stock Audi pads (Porterfield), or the Pagids or Cobalts. The HPS aren't even that cheap, so I find nothing redeeming about them. Like I said though, this is in a car that is considerably heavier than a 944, so YMMV.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:53 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm surprised none have mentioned the Metal Master... while it's not for all, it is a very-low dust/squeal pad for street/sport use. It's been my favorite street pad compared to Pagid/Jurid/Textar.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:57 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

MM are the best if low dust is a priority, they also have great pedal feel, but Hawk edges them, to me
Old 02-02-2004, 01:30 AM
jim944s2
Racer

Skip: what's your opinion on Ferodo Street pads? I've had Metal Masters on 2 cars and didn't care for them w/ either. I really like the Ferodos for street and stock category auto-cross, they're just a bit dirty, but quiet. And, similar to Matt above, I've had good luck w/ Porterfields for harder use (The R4 is much better IMO than the R4S).
Old 02-02-2004, 01:35 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Frodo was pretty cute for such a small guy. The hairy feet are a big turn-off, but I learned to look past that.

Oh, Ferodo... uh, yeah. Sorry, no experience with them

There are many pads out there better than the MM's depending on what your criteria may be. But, at ~$35 per axle they are good quality, low-dust, low-squeal pads... bang-for-buckage factor very high.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:45 AM
gnosis
Instructor

I've had a set of Endless CCM pads in my car for four years, including a handful of track days. They are indeed endless.

Not sure if they still make them, but anything from Endless is worth a look.

Clayton
Old 02-02-2004, 09:20 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally posted by mpw
I've only used the HPS pads as a street pad, and this is in a 3700 lb. S4, so in a 2800 lb. 944 it might be totally different. However, that they have 0 bite is my biggest complaint. The just don't seem to want to stop the car. I know it's not the brakes, because I've use Pagid Orange and Cobalt VR pads on the track with excellent results. The other problem is that they rust, badly. I've never seen a stream of rust on my wheels like I have with the Hawks. It's also very difficult to clean, as it does not want to come off. After is rains, I can expect to see some nice red streaks bonded to the surface of my wheels. I don't get this with the other pads I've run, whether the stock Audi pads (Porterfield), or the Pagids or Cobalts. The HPS aren't even that cheap, so I find nothing redeeming about them. Like I said though, this is in a car that is considerably heavier than a 944, so YMMV.
There is a huge difference between the HPS and the HP + pad. The HPS is my "keep the wheels clean at all costs" pad on my M3. The stock Jurids work better for braking. I run the HP + on the 951 and on my old 996. The HP + has about as nice crisp intial bite as a 200lb Rottweiler.

At 3700 lbs, the S4 is never going to find a nice street pad with low dusting. Maybe Axis Ultimates but probably not.

The Pagid Orange is my track pad. Awesome, but $$$$. I have heard nice things about the VR's too. Andie is a nice guy at Cobalt.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:11 AM
mpw
Instructor

Originally posted by eclou
At 3700 lbs, the S4 is never going to find a nice street pad with low dusting. Maybe Axis Ultimates but probably not.
It's not so much that it dusts that bothers me, but that the dust seems to rust so easily. I don't know if Hawk uses more ferrous material in their pads than other manufacturers, but there's a difference.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:38 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

I have heard in the past that the Hawk pads create a very toxic dust that accelerates the degredation of the rotors. No experience personally, but enough reason for me to consider staying away from them.

Unless I hear otherwise of course...
Old 02-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I will have to agree with Matt on this one (shocking), I like Porterfields for the track. My favorite pads for all around use are Ferodo. I must admit, I am really becoming a big fan of the Porterfields on the street too! Best wishes - Jay Gratton

Quick Reply: Brake Pads: Who Do You Like?