Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK abandoned scrap program, lots of 944s picked over in this video (Sad)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 02:14 PM
XS29L9B
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 67 Posts
Default UK abandoned scrap program, lots of 944s picked over in this video (Sad)

Very sad to see, and reminded me of the USA version of Cash for Clunkers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Taf7...ature=youtu.be

Lots of 944 cars in these lots. What will become of them?
Old 12-11-2018, 04:49 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by XS29L9B
Very sad to see, and reminded me of the USA version of Cash for Clunkers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Taf7...ature=youtu.be

Lots of 944 cars in these lots. What will become of them?
That IS sad.

Was checking out the National Geographic best photos of 2018 list the other day and this was one of the winners.

Some desert lot in California with thousands of recalled VW and Audi cars tied up in the emissions controversy.

Wonder....., has anybody tallied up the new emissions that will be created to replace all these cars....

T
Old 12-16-2018, 04:59 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I suppose we all have different things that tear at our heartstrings so to speak, this is one of mine...

That's only a few at Davis Monthan afb near Tuscon AZ.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:19 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Here's a close up ground view. Those are F-16 Falcons...

Old 12-16-2018, 08:23 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

As an old pilot and auto buff these pictures are depressing. Only thing I have seen sadder are photos of the destruction of our WW2 air fleet at the end of the war. Row upon row of now obsolete fighters ands bombers (German Me262 jet did that) waiting to be scrapped here in the US. Great scene of this shown in the "The Best Days Of Our Lives", Dana Andrews climbs into a B-17 Bombardier's seat like he occupied and reflects on the war from the hulk. One series of photos that sticks in my mind are of brand new P-38 Lightenings in the Philippines being crushed by Bulldozers and buried because it was cheaper to destroy them there rather then return them to the US for scrapping. Some US genius decided to merely disable and abandon all the B-24 bombers left in India by tossing a grenade into the cockpit. The Indians merely cannibalized what was usable and restored many back to airworthiness, thus forming the bomber fleet of the newly independent India's Air Force. Our Government at work
Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Here's a close up ground view. Those are F-16 Falcons...

Last edited by jhowell371; 12-16-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:49 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

With you all on this.

The mentality has infiltrated our whole society.

Someone asked me to recall the name of a TV repair man just the other day that I used to know who fixed TVs.

I said "TV repair man...., are you serious, nobody gets a TV fixed anymore".

It is true though.

I ordered a BMW 330I hood to paint and install on my daughter's car a couple years back.
Came in damaged around where the kidney grills go.....hard area for me to fix on my end and just eat it.
Supplier says, no problem, I send you another one.
When I contacted about return shipping on the damaged one, he said, "just keep it, not work it".

Big Dave Matthews Band fan. While I don't buy into a lot of his liberal philosophy (luckily he doesn't push into his songs), he has a couple of songs about modern man's throw away resource gobbling attitude.

T
Old 12-16-2018, 05:09 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
With you all on this.

The mentality has infiltrated our whole society.

Big Dave Matthews Band fan. While I don't buy into a lot of his liberal philosophy (luckily he doesn't push into his songs), he has a couple of songs about modern man's throw away resource gobbling attitude.

T
If you haven't heard of it, there's a growing group of folks here in the US anyway that are trying hard to reverse that trend, check out The Repair Association (repair.org) and iFixit.com (mostly electronics, specifically battling Apple's "throw away" technology). Companies all over the world are doing their best to make things either un-repairable or un-serviceable (at least by the end user). We're pushing for national "right to repair" laws that force producers to provide technical information and repair manuals for the products they sell, and to maintain a supply chain for spare parts.

We've got to stop doing this or we're going to bury ourselves in dead lithium batteries and busted appliances. I've been told (but this could be an urban legend) you can't even change your own oil on a new Mercedes?
Old 01-25-2019, 08:47 PM
XS29L9B
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 67 Posts

I still like to fix things, even with a solder gun. Wonder if they teach that in school anymore. Doubtful
Old 01-25-2019, 11:31 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by XS29L9B
I still like to fix things, even with a solder gun. Wonder if they teach that in school anymore. Doubtful
Sad state of affairs isn't it. I graduated high school a looong time ago when useful skills like woodshop, metal shop and mechanical drawing were as much a part of a well rounded education as Latin and literature. Sadly watching TV's "Jeopardy" reveals huge gaps in the knowledge of history, geography and basic science in "educated" people.

Quick Reply: UK abandoned scrap program, lots of 944s picked over in this video (Sad)