Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"gated" shifters

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 02:12 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful Pantera! I've always had a thing for them. Actually i kinda like the new Q-Vale Mangustas too. See thats the whole point of owning an Italian...they never said they were practical. Seriously, whats practical about exotic Italian cars? They are made to do one (2) thing, regardless of how its done. Go fast and handle. Ok shifting is hard as crap, or you cant see out even if the car was glass...whatever! It just seems to add to the allure. Its not a Honda. Its not easy, and you have to work to get rewarded with that awesome driving feel Italians offer. The other thing a gated shifter offers that ours cant...

You ever heard a gated shifter ? Clink clink clink...Against the sound of an Italian engine.... Thats livin' life!
Old 01-31-2004, 02:36 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by alpenweissisnice
I could have this all wrong, but here's my .02:

My understanding is that originally gated shift plates were necessary to keep the driver from stirring the wrong gear, before synchros became the norm. They were associated with racing cars, and since Ferrari street cars were always derivatives of their racing program (Enzo believed street cars were a necessary evil to keep his racing program alive) gated shifters have become synomous with Ferrari, and those companies that were emulating/competing with them. I imagine today they are not so necessary for keeping the gearbox from grenading but are more about identity and style.

And I agree, there is nothing sexier (in the car world) as a gated Ferrari shifter with that big chrome ****. Even if the F1 tranny with the paddle shifter is faster, I'd have to opt for the 6 speed. In my Maranello 550. Fly yellow with black leather...As they say, dreamin's free.......
Personally id prefer the stick in pretty much any car, I think its just part of the driving experience.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:31 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

I've logged a lot of seat time in gated Ferraris and Lambos, from 308's all the way to new 360's and Murcielagos. Bottom line, it's crap. You think the throw on your shifter now is long, imagine raising it up by another 3" and you'll have your 'sexy' Ferrari or Lambo gate. One of the [MANY] reasons for clutch problems in these uber exotics (no it isn't just the HP, Vipers and Vette's don't have clutch problems like Lambos) is exactly this...the engine/computer don't account for the ridiculously long shifts associated with even a well experienced driver, and as such your rev's drop SIGNIFICANTLY more than normal working a craptacular gated shifter. Rice or not, it's just a crappy way to drive a car, and without a doubt detracts from the driving experience imho.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:18 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah, well there is no better way to detract from the driving experience than that! And having a fine woman in the passenger seat.

HA, dont have either, guess my driving experience is top notch!
Old 02-01-2004, 12:59 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

hahaha... well Tony, I beat ya... I'm without those two AND the car, I guess my driving experience is a pure as can be (in my head).
Old 02-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

HAHAHA, its ANYTHING you want it to be!

Quick Reply: "gated" shifters