Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear wiper delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004 | 12:42 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Mike Buck
my father's '89 turbo is like that. no split folding rear seat either. both odd for an '89 i thought
Actually, I'm pretty sure the '89 had full rear seats- thee '88 Turbo S had split rear, but, the '89's went back to full- maybe SOME had splits, but, the only one's I've seen were full, which is REALLY STUPID- there's absoultely no reason for ANY car to have a fold down rear w/OUT themm being split- think about it- if you ever had something long that needed the seat folded down, but, had THREE passengers, you'd be screwed- the splits provide for the fact that you MIGHT need a third seat, BUT, the little extra storage a fold-down provides- we've used my mom's C230 that way a BUNCH of times... At any rate, it probably doesn't matter much w/the Porsche as the rear seats are useless for anything but small kids anyway....

I removed my rear wiper- used the big washer that came off w/the motor & the bolt, as the plug for a month or so until I found the regular plug in a junkyard.... I ALSO left my wires there, taped up in the inner edge of the hatch, just in case... OF course, if anyone WANTS a rear wiper, I'd GLADLY sell it....
Old 01-31-2004 | 01:23 AM
sayporsha
Pro

chris924S, I like your idea of the handlebar end cap & hose washer! I'm a big fan of grassroots (read: cheap) solutions like that.

It does rain here in Oregon. I'm considering putting my 951 on a diet, but that rear wiper delete is a tough choice for me. I use it all the time!
Old 01-31-2004 | 01:39 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

In all honesty, if you use it a lot, then don't do it- I'm almost as much of a nut about weight reduction as anyone on here, but, I DO NOT comprimise the things I use- I have found that I kind of miss my rear wiper, but, only used it when backing out of a space occasionally- I also found that the TOTAL weight reduction was ~7lbs, max, AND, that is weight out behind the rear axle- in other words, even though it's a little higher than the center of gravity, it is the worst weight TO remove, distribution-wise, but, again, it's not much anyway, so, if you like the thing & even use it occasionally, it's not worth removing... I'd leave it alone...

If you're really wanting to remove some weight, remove the rear seat w/seat belts, etc- that should be worth ~35-40lbs total- but, you'll have to come up w/something to replace it with for looks- if you simply carpet over it, that would be the best to save weight, but, I'd like something that would provide a little storage... Also, the rear spare is 29lbs- bad end to remove it from, again, but... IF you could find a nice drag skinny to use as an emergency spare, you could reduce the weight & STILL have something back there at least... Also, the seats are a little heavy- Momo Street Racers would remove ~50lbs total, but, that cost's $$$. There are other nickle & dime things too- I'm about to remove the windshield washer resovoir & tubes, etc, as well as headlight washers- I MIGHT leave the headlight nozzels there, but, I NEVER use that stuff & it's worth a few pounds & a little less crap under the hood... Find a nice lightweight hood & remove at least 20lbs from the best possible place... etc...
Old 01-31-2004 | 01:54 AM
josephsc
Race Car

From: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Yea, and a better place to remove 7lbs would be from around the driver's waist. It really adds to acceleration and handling, even when you're on foot!

BTW, if you remove the spare, you might consider removing the air compressor for another 6lbs (and you can sell it for $100+).
Old 02-01-2004 | 02:18 PM
chris924S
Intermediate

Mine cost $0 and looks like stock. If you need something try the handlebar plug.

Chris
1988 Gray Metallic 924S

Quick Reply: rear wiper delete