Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: 86 windshield in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 03:33 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My safelite glass was also an OEM sekurit, and I got it for $200 installed. Same glass as the original (but not broken of course). Had it since springtime and it is fine. I can vouch for cheap windshields being junk though. Had an aftermarket glass installed in a isuzu pickup and the FIRST time I took it on the highway a SMALL pebble hit it and put a crack in it. Really should have called the glass company back about it but they probably would not have done anything about it. I dont know if a person can get aftermarket windshields for these cars, not enough 944's out there to justify making glass for them (maybe).
Old 01-31-2004, 03:49 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Well, first a little background on my experience with safelite windsields.

Two or so months ago I had an incident involving the release of my hood, which smashed my windshiled. I called one of those house call glass guys. They came and installed a windshiled for about 300 bucks. A week later I got a chip in the windshield while driving 50 miles an hour! By the end of the week, that glass had cracks spanning the entire length of the glass in all directions.

I then brought it to a very prominent body shop contracted by Porsche in my area. The second they saw the glass the tech exclaimed, " HA HA Ha, Safelite in a Porsche!!!" I inquired as to why he was being this way and he continued to tell me about Safelite being the second if not worst aftermarket glass companies in the world.

I too was told about Safelite being an "OEM" company however they stock glass with the same part number used by the OEM manufactures. I was told this is a cheap tricky way to convince people their glass is OEM, when it is in fact far from it.

In addition to this, Safelite is one of the few aftermarkets that does NOT have an OEM contract. Meaning they do not provide glass to automotive companies such as GM, Ford, VW, ect.

Another downside of Safelite is that the tinting toward the top of the windshield is not the correct color. Safelite uses Blue, whereas Sekurit originally used a shade of green.

I ended up getting glass made by PPG. Only a tad more expensive, and this glass had a warrantee.

-Christian
Old 01-31-2004, 05:03 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I may just break down and get the road hazard insurance. Then I will get the cheap glass and if it breaks again, the insurance will pick it up (no deductable here).
Old 01-31-2004, 06:08 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

That is actually a very good plan Travis.

BTW: Do I have to drill a hole in the roof for my 968 antenna?

-Christian
Old 01-31-2004, 07:20 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by DerSchlechtSpecht

BTW: Do I have to drill a hole in the roof for my 968 antenna?

-Christian
If you want it to work you do.

The best thing to do it pull down the roof piece that covers the sunroof gears. There is a little hole there. Thats NOT where you drill the hole for the antenna. Use a flashlight to look through that hole so you can see the actual outer roof panel. Then you will see where it needs to go. Some creative removal of a small portion of the inner panel makes it a bit easier to install.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:27 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[

I learned this hard way, as my Safelite windshield lasted only 2 months.

-Christian [/B]
What happened to it?
Old 01-31-2004, 09:05 PM
jc22
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Travis,
Remember that even if you do get the insurance co. to replace the glass, they will get their money back through increased premiums. Biggest scam going is insurance.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:25 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Travis, got your PM. Have not reached the parts guy yet. It is not Ians though. --Tom
Old 01-31-2004, 11:55 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by jc22
Travis,
Remember that even if you do get the insurance co. to replace the glass, they will get their money back through increased premiums. Biggest scam going is insurance.
Ya, I know. I pay around $850 a year for 3 cars on PIP only. I figure the money I have saved so far will be enough to fix or replace any of them. So, I guess what it comes down to is I need to shell out some cash and just buy a new one.

Tom, Keep me up to date on that one. I will not need it for about a month so its no rush.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:31 AM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Peckster, check out my post at the top of page 2.

-Christian

Quick Reply: WTB: 86 windshield in Florida