Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brembo Caliper Bolt Torque Spec

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 03:31 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brembo Caliper Bolt Torque Spec

The four allen head bolts that go through the caliper should be torqued to 70 foot pounds. I had great difficulty finding this spec and eventually got it from Brembo.

As a side note, there seems to be little reason to ever take these out. If you do attach the caliper to something very strong and expect to break some tools!
The following users liked this post:
lucithebug (05-26-2021)
Old 01-29-2004, 03:49 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not recommended. Why did you remove them?
Old 01-29-2004, 04:03 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stupidity! Three of the pistons were stuck so I thought I would try to push them out from the inside.

Here is the process of removal, somewhere along the way I should have figured out this was a bad idea.

1. Bolt 1x6 to 4'x8'x8' work bench and caliper to 1x6, the 1x6 was used to protect the surface of the work bench.
2. Tried to break loose using a 3/8ths ratchet and allen head socket.
3. Upgrade to long half inch ratchet with adapter.
4. Upgrade to breaker bar with adapter.
5. Snap adapter.
6. Get longest 3/8th ratchet and put vice grips on the end.
7. Round out socket end ot allen head tool.
8. Free allen head tool from warped socket and insert in craftsman socket.
9. They break free.
10. Realize the spring clips on the inside have little bolts on them that are going to be a pain to remove.
11. Put the bolts back in and snug them up.
12. Pull the pistons out from the outside and be very happy that you didnt actually take the calipers apart and have another seal to track down.
13. Spend a lot of time looking for the torque spec to tighten them back up.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:42 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha!! That's too funny.

There actually is no seal between the caliper halves. Brake fluid does not travel between the halves, that's why there is the steel line at the bottom. If you ever try to remove the little bolts in step 10 heat them up first or you may play hell getting them out.

Did you put any Lock-tite on the bolts when you put them back together? If not you should and I would use the green stuff. You know, the stuff that makes it really difficult to get the bolts out.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:50 AM
lucithebug
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceWard
The four allen head bolts that go through the caliper should be torqued to 70 foot pounds. I had great difficulty finding this spec and eventually got it from Brembo.

As a side note, there seems to be little reason to ever take these out. If you do attach the caliper to something very strong and expect to break some tools!
Thank you! I took mine apart. I had a 4 ft breaker bar, and stripped out two of the heads. I took them to a machine shop to have them remove the bolts. Anyway I saw there was some sort of material used to prevent what I'm guessing would be galvanic corrosion. Did some research and went ahead and hard anodized the threaded area, and powder coated the outside. I'm ready to put them back together and was trying to figure out what to go with, anti-seize, thread locker ect... I bought some stuff called Hot Lock that will handle up to 2000F and its a ceramic based medium hold thread locker, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Quick Reply: Brembo Caliper Bolt Torque Spec