Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wet rear seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 06:01 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can replace all the seals you want, but the 944 sunroof (like mine did) has a habit of not closing tight enough to clamp down on the seal. This will FLOOD YOUR CAR like mine did every time it rained. I actually pulled the motor and put manual sunroof latches on my car and it works GREAT now. It cost $15 to do, and it was well worth it in my book. If you want to keep teh power sunrof, do a search for "sunroof adjustment" and you'll find information on how to adjust it.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:41 AM
PCMAX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Paul Flintoft (other Aussies will laugh but it doesn't rain much in Melbourne these days)
Must be summer this week in Melbourne then Paul.

Old 02-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Steve`s `85 944
Cruisin'

o.k people, here is another clue; the sunroof seal does NOT leak, and i can now see where the water is coming into the back...it pours (literally) in the back corners of the car,either running over the hatch seal or coming under the spoiler somehow (at or near the wiper motor and the same place the other side ) and running onto the carpet before making it`s way onto the backrests of the rear seats: the strange thing is, it only does it when the car is parked facing downhill ! if it`s facing uphill, no (or VERY little) water comes in.
i`m thinking either the glass unglued from the frame (already suggested) or perhaps the spoiler seal ? the spoiler drains are not blocked.
how is the spoiler (standard) fitted to the tailgate ?is it just bolted, or glued as well ?
thanks for all your help so far.....
steve.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:53 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

The frame goes all the way around the glass. So yes it can be the glass delaminating from the frame.

I would check and/or replace the seal around the hatch. I've seen PO's put after market seals on that just don't seal.

After the new seal readjust the hinges and the pins.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Steve`s `85 944
Cruisin'

thanks...already replaced seal and adjusted pins...
Old 02-01-2004, 01:38 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, if it is coming in around the two hatch latch pins then you need to examine the catching system. There is a rubber sealing block that fits in the sheet metal around the catch rectangle that gets hard and starts leaking. Buy new ones or seal in place with silicone - good luck ever pulling them out again without a knife. There is a right hand and left hand to these blocks, that is indicated on a casting on the block. Don't mix them up or you will leak for sure.

The other likely rear hatch item is that little drip pan and hose that is supposed to catch all the water leaking down through the pin catches. What a really dumb design.

As far as leaks in the driver's foot well on an OZ car, who knows other than check around. You likely have a RHD drive car with battery in rear boot. The rest of us owners with LHD cars have the battery up in that area. Our common problem is the battery leaks, the acid eats through the "floor" of the compartment and in comes water. But you don't have a battery there so no common failure point that everyone and his cousin knows about.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Steve`s `85 944
Cruisin'

already renewed these blocks, and cleaned out the drains...this is not the source of the leak, the water comes into the car bfore it even gets to these blocks / catches; the water is running OVER the inside of the seal,possibly from a leaky window or spoiler.
thanks anyway..
Old 02-01-2004, 01:57 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Who's seal did you use?
Old 02-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Steve`s `85 944
Cruisin'

said porsche on the bag, but then who knows...
Old 02-01-2004, 04:43 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Did you check to see if the hatch actually compresses the seal when it closes? Use paper currency and close the hatch on it. Pulling it out will let you know if the seal is compressed. I had to adjust the hinges at the top to get the hatch against the seal. When the glass was separating nothing would get it to contact the seal at the top.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Paul Flintoft
Intermediate

Rear Spoiler: There are two drains in the rear spoiler on the outside of the glass that may have filled with dirt. Coupled with a delaminated glass hatch, this may be helpful.

Wet RHD passenger footwell: I figure that my next option is to check out the possibility of a leaking heater core or internals. Has anyone had much experience of this?
Old 02-04-2004, 09:48 AM
Steve`s `85 944
Cruisin'

Unhappy

o.k. everybody...i found the leak;i took the spoiler off, and the water stopped coming in - the spoiler was pressing down on the hatch frame which had (like me) come un-glued. my local glass/screen fitter doesn`t want to attempt re-bonding the glass in case it breaks...porsche want £2100 for a new glass/hatch surround, so the car would be an insurance write-off if i tried to get it repaired at the autoglass fitter !
therefore, i will try a second-hand hatch and hope for the best....anybody have any "cunning plans/ideas before i fit it ?
p.s. a big thanks to everyone who has contributed, especially those who were correct...!

Quick Reply: wet rear seats