Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed Headlight Prototypes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 05:39 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, I laket a lot( some ace ventura thrown in). especially the first two. definitely with lexan to minimize drag.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:19 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make 'em buckets - the single piece nose thing looks kit-car to me.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

For me, I would like a one peace vented header panel with the headlight set up with out the turn signal port for my 951. I will buy it immediately as soon as you produce it.

My reasons are aerodynamics, better airflow to I/C with (vented header), weight savings, more space under hood, updated looks. I have also had my pop ups frozen in the closed position. It is no fun hair drying your head lights at night when it is 24 degrees. I can only imagine how easy it will be to change the oil filter without the headlight motor in the way. The weight savings will not be huge but remember this weight is about as far forward of the front axel line as you can get. This is like putting that weight on the end of a lever. These are just some of the reasons I can think of at the moment.

I am ready for it at a reasonable cost.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:39 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I like the bucket design, too. Also, would it make any sense to come up with a daytime cover that can be pulled off manually, so that it looks stock during the day and protects the lenses when they aren't in use?

Regards,
Old 02-10-2004, 12:02 AM
savage944
Racer

The Cover is not a bad idea, problem would be flush mounting it. Or securing it in some fashion, as once the buckets or one piece is fitted, their will not be the gap that was present before conversion. I suppose maybe could make a cover that was larger that had an edge that was secured with screws under the edge of the hood and a hook or something at the bottom to keep it secure... main thing would be keeping it in place at speed...

I can see the bottom edge at the bumper would need something to hook onto that is in a fixed position. Once it was fitted you would have a near stock look, but I believe the cover would still be sitting above the rest of the nose, very thin, but wold be clear that it was a cover.

The idea with fitting the buckets or one piece setup is a flush look.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:36 AM
J_scobar
2nd Gear

what you huys think about this one?

http://www.pefa-design.de/index-e.htm
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2004, 01:46 AM
thf944
Racer

i like the idea of a quad round light with a cover. i found this conversion for a nissan 240 sx in a uk mag:

Old 02-10-2004, 02:17 AM
savage944
Racer

I can appreciate the work that went into the setup by pefa as it is obvious that its a one piece cover fitted over the lights. I don't like the shape though.

I figured if I do a one piece setup it will be similar in terms of the outer layer being one piece plus the light buckets.

The 240SX setup is like what I am building, but the 240 is to small and those lights, just wouldn't work here. I am sticking with the 90mm and the recessed round dual channel look seen in the first pic.

The smooth bucket look, is another option as seen in my earlier post and this one by thf944. ITs not bad and It could work with a lexan cover it.

IF --> it was the right size and had the right lights, but I want something that has a more finished or even factory look as seen in the earlier pics.

I am sticking with the first design, when I can reproduce those and sell a few I can work on other designs if their is enough interest.

Plus I will be working on the One piece setup nose panel plus lights. The nose panel/light one piece setup, may end up being more of a flush multi-piece design. Basically a light bucket with the lights mounted that can be removed from the nose, with the nose off. Then the light openings would be be a lexan cover that mounts flush from the bottom up and is held in place, this way the lexan cover could be removed and replaced as could the light buckets and they can be cleaned.

Help me out people, that make sense? Easy of maint. and cleaning, flush one piece look from the outside, remove the nose/light assembly and you can disassemble the parts.

I figure the nose area around the light buckets would just need a little lip, the lexan cover would need a channel to slide into or have a grove or something.

Some way of having it in place and looking flush leads me to believe that either I would need a channel that the light cover sits in and is held in place and gives a near flush look. --> Guess I could trim a 5mm edge around the lexan deep enough that when you push the lexan up into the opening it sits even.. with just an edge around the opening. This could also allow for the installation of a daytime cover as mentioned above.

Or I let it set almost flush, with just the thickness of the nose piece around the opening sitting on the light cover. This would be noticeable up close but probably not at a distance...

Several possibilities, but I want to keep it simple and thus, cheap to produce when I get to that part.

The one piece look seems very do-able, just a matter of working some details out and I hope some of you have some ideas on this.

Last question, produce it with or without the turn signal opening? or maybe make it with and provide a cap so it could be deleted or used at the discression of owner?
Old 02-10-2004, 02:36 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

hey savage, your PM box is full... sorry to post here, but I know you'll see this.

The PM:
Still have them, its not the complete set, if you'd like, I can take a picture of those that I have, you can have them if you like.
~Eyal
Old 02-10-2004, 02:55 AM
atinybug
Racer

for those of u that mentioned using the bi-xenon lights from the audis or bmws, do u guys actually ever use ur high beams? i've never needed my high beams on my bmw 330ci, the low beam xenon lights are more than bright enough... that said, are the hella 90mm light output anywhere close to the xenon light output of the bmws or audis?
Old 02-10-2004, 10:40 AM
savage944
Racer

light output is really a question for Iceshark. I know the Healla 90mm are bright even the low beam, and the bulb can be upgraded.

The bmw and audi lights are not a bad idea as mentioned before, the concerns I would have is size-fitment, cost and availabilty.

I am very partial to the look of the seperate high and low beam lights for the two lights perside/quad look.

If their is enough interest after I complete my first project I can look at others.

Anyone have the measurements of the Audi and BMW lights in question?
Old 02-10-2004, 11:32 AM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Last question, produce it with or without the turn signal opening? or maybe make it with and provide a cap so it could be deleted or used at the discression of owner?"

A cap would be good. i know that when i get these lights i'll problably use it for city lights setup, like in europe
Old 02-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

atinybug, I use my high beams quite often.

Sam
Old 02-10-2004, 12:12 PM
atinybug
Racer

here's the measurement on the bmw light as best as i can do it, from the outside of the plastic clear thing... both the lights are the same size, 6" across, the projector part of the xenon is a little under 3" it looks like
Old 02-10-2004, 12:33 PM
atinybug
Racer

sam lin: personal preference i guess, i've just never felt i needed more light than my low beams would provide (which is already much more than some car's halogen high beams)

Quick Reply: Fixed Headlight Prototypes