Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed Headlight Prototypes

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 08:43 AM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"bump"

I think this is a very interesting thread and don't what this to get forgoten
I am really interested in this kit, if it ever makes it to production, let's hope
Old 02-05-2004, 12:55 PM
savage944
Racer

Cantresjr, and everyone else thanks for the support!!!!

You can count on the first style getting produced, the only thing slowing me down is making time to finish the mock up and make a mold, once I have a mold its all good. We all know how work and family eats up your time. But I am getting closer.

I talked with a few Boat companies and they seem interested in producing the parts for me, at a reasonable cost. They want to see the mold and then they will set a price for production. I will find the best deal, so I can keep the cost down.

Iceshark is helping with the lights, so we will find the best deal their as well and that will also keep the cost down.

I talked with a few companies about the lexan covers as well, seems I can get them done, but the initial setup may be a little costly, but production cost would be reasonable, they also stated they can do colored lenses as well... Im not sure I am really into color tinted lenses, but might be an interesting option...

I also have one other design as suggested to me and I will post that for everyones review, cause I might do it after I finish the first one, just because I like the way it came out. But thats putting the cart ahead of the horse. I will finish the first one then look at others.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:59 PM
savage944
Racer

Ok so here is a mock up with Tinted Lexan covers... I am not sure how great these would work interms of light diffusing...

But on the right car they might look good, but thats subjective to the viewer and owner and the color of the car.

But enjoy and please post comments
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2004, 04:35 PM
944Willie
Instructor

I like the idea of it being one piece, including the nose piece. It would be much easier to install and think of how much weight and garbage we would lose by removing that lift mech. and the associated junk. I have not removed all of it but it appears to be alot.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:02 PM
savage944
Racer

Doing the lights and badge panel (nose piece) isnt that hard.

The question really would be a mater of vents or no vents, NA or Turbo nose. The turbo nose being larger but essential the same.

I will post a few mock ups of what I am thinking tonight. I guess the whole piece would be sent with a gelcoat finish and could be painted to match the car, then you just install the lexan cover and you are set.

What about the tinted Lexan covers, anyone have any ideas views etc on these? Worth the effort to make it an available option, the colors I know that are available are, blue, as seen, racer yellow, red and smoke. I like the look of the blue and a few others.... but again... not part of the original design, but could be made an option....

Well people let me know.

I will also post that other design I mentioned above tonight.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:23 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

yeah maybe if some of the racer guys wanted.....whats the thingie? gt3 or gt2 has those yellow tinted lenses. smoked might look good. but i already have my clear set.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:35 AM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Savage,

Great stuff. I'm looking forward to the finished product. BTW Lexan tends to yellow within a two year or so of exposure to UV. Acrylic is cheaper and won't yellow. You may want check it out.

Cheers,

Mark Williams

'87 951
Old 02-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Acrylic is not going to hold up to road crap as well IMHO.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:40 PM
savage944
Racer

Yea Matt I agree, lexan or perpex as they use in Europe seems better than Acrylic.

As I have seen discussed, down side would be having to replace the covers every few years, The only thing I have seen is that their is UV protection available, but that would increase the cost and I am not sure how well that would work with lights.

Sorry Everyone havent had the chance to post the other prototypes. I will try and upload them tonight. Work is placing a lot of demans on me at the moment. In fact I need to get back to it.

Maybe if I get in at a decent time tonight.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:48 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this going to be something that you follow thru on, or is it going to be like this last proposal?

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=euro+bumper
Old 02-06-2004, 02:59 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just a thought to throw out there: Red tinted covers would be a bad idea, as may blue, since in most states you can not have red light on the front of the car or blue light anywhere on the car.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:04 PM
savage944
Racer

Patrat -- yea those colors would mostly be for shows or track use, but like I said interesting option.

Tifo' --- you make a good point, but I will be following through with this.

As for the other thread, I may resurrect that. I did order a few things on my own, but Work and life got in the way, especially my baby girl...as far as the big order. Family comes first, things are well and I am in a better position to do these lights and some other things.

The sources I have overseas for that stuff are still good. I will put something together in the near future, I had to put off ordering my engine, but I will be getting one later this year. I will be sure to email and PM you to make sure you arent left out. I will also post for everyone and we can put something together so everyone is happy and can take advantage of my shipping. Engine isnt that big, but if I have them use a larger container, if people need rims, etc.... I will resurrect it when the time comes. Trust me I still want my engine (2.7 or 3.0 havent decided, but they cost about the same).
Old 02-07-2004, 06:44 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I gave up and sourced my euro parts needs somewhere else, so you can take me off your list. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:18 PM
savage944
Racer

One shows a have cover over top part of light, then their is a molded version.

With the have cover you could leave the rest of the light setup open and uncovered
or
you could add a lexan cover to cover the rest.
or
the lexan cover could just be painted to patch the body color at the top to give the same effect.

The last pic shows a similar setup that would have provision for any kind of light setup, square, dual 90mm like the earlier desigsn, but would have the half cover as part of the light bucket, then just add a lexan cover for the rest or leave it open. I will do a mock up on another car. But these where suggested by a few people so am posting them.

The middle red pic shows a more molded look with only the outlines where the the hood, fenders and bumper are. With or with out the half cover a molded piece could also be one color and not have the black for the buckets. I will see about doing a one color molded pic for referrence.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:19 PM
savage944
Racer

Opps picture didnt go the first time, so here it is.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Fixed Headlight Prototypes