Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed Headlight Prototypes

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 04:53 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, but I don't like that style, maybe you could try it on the first one.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:48 PM
savage944
Racer

I will try and do a color matched mock up photo of the first set for everyone... cant we just pretend they are carbon fiber and let it go at that hahahaha

Seriously I will try and do something that shows them color matched.

So far I am leaning at the first style as my final production model and using the Hellas I posted they are actual headlights, not foglights or some such mounted in place of headlights, these are street legal head lights with 65w bulbs, the wattage can be increased.

If I sell these then I would offer them with the Hella 90mm setup, if someone wants to order them without the lights I might do that as well and let you do your own setup, especially for the more expensive Bixenon.

Iceshark is lending some advice and direction on the final selection of lights and other points of concern.

I still welcome advice and comments from everyone. The lexan covers are still going to be a bit of a pain, but I think I can work that out easy enough.

If these are produced though as mentioned they will come in a gelcoat state to be preped and painted by the end user to match their application.

I will be doing the 924/44 first, then if that works out I will work up the same for the 951.

A suggestion I got was to not just do pods that are mounted into the headlight buckets, but combine the light setup with the nose/badge panel for one sold piece vented or not vented (like the 924 turbo) that could be installed. What about something like that?

Last edited by savage944; 01-30-2004 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:54 PM
Roral
Instructor

Rather then match the housing your making to the body color, you could rice it out and make it a chrome "like" finish, and then put alteza on the back j/j

Just wondering if any one has looked into an auto wrecker to see if there are any BMWs, Audis, Saabs, (don't some VW's have HIDs for the top of their lens? Not sure just wondering.) I am only asking just to see if it's worth trying and for sample sake, 500USD's is mad cash for us Canadians. thats like .. like... 50million billion zillion... ..cents. Come Mr bigglesworth, to the P-car!

Steve
Old 01-30-2004, 09:47 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!right after i decided to go vented panel WITHOUT headlights!!!!!!!****!,its alright,ill probably force my dad to hook those up on his 944.awsome job,keep up the great work.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:31 PM
savage944
Racer

OK campers, dont get mixed up now, when I was talking using the the HALLA 90mm lights, the seperate high and low, I will use the ones I listed, these cost under a hundred each, even less if I get them in bulk.

The 500.00 ones are the high end biXenon setup, if you want those, then go for it, no way I will try and do a kit with that, to cost prohibited even if I got them wholesale.

I plan on keeping it simple but producing the best I can. The Hellas Iceshark was talking about, the same I plan to use are not that expensive, if I can do the whole thing lights included for under the current cost for GTR style kits then I think we have a winner!!

If anyone can come up with good prices on the Hella 90MM high and low lamps, let me know!!
Old 01-31-2004, 12:09 AM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

The very first set are the only ones you should consider. They actually look very nice. Also the two side by side look nice. All the other molded ones look like *** so don't waste your time on those. Look like Gambella wanna be junk. Good job on the first set and the side by side set with the clear cover.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:39 AM
savage944
Racer

Ok here is a hurried example of a color matched mock up.

Dual 90mm Hellas, Carrera GT style yea... I need more time, but its not bad, its just not great.

Now Imagine if you will one solid piece that installs replacing the nose panel pop up lights all that jazz and gives you better ventilation.....
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2004, 02:42 AM
savage944
Racer

Of course for the turbo guys another option instead of making one that is larger/longer, keep it same size, modify it to fit and build from the bottom lip up, the difference at the top, could be used a thin vent, for venting air into the engine compartment.... not quite a NACA duct, but a duct.

The lexan cover would fit flush cover the lights, but leave the vent area exposed, of course could also do it at the bottom as well its a matter of looks I guess...

Not sure... and of course nothing is set in stone, but seems to me if It could be left alone for the most part and just a vent added might work out nice or no vent.... anybody have comments?
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2004, 02:58 AM
savage944
Racer

Mock up of what the light kit should look like, of course this is in black, tried to get the shape pretty close....
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2004, 03:05 AM
FSTPRSH
Pro

My vote is forget the color match, carbon fiber definitely, or atleast a CF finish. Like I said, just me. It would draw attention to your lights, then when they see the rest of the car, they will be amazed.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:38 AM
Bhj0887
Pro

Yea, I don't know, it kinda looks odd color matched, but not in a bad way, I still like them, and they would look good with the lexan cover over them. Too bad when you complete these I can't buy them, I have a turbo front end, and it just wont line up, right?

What's the estimated cost going to be on these?
Old 01-31-2004, 10:10 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Savage - I have a set of the hellas low beams I am willing to lend you if you need them.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:53 PM
savage944
Racer

Matt Thanks, I will let you know when I and if I need them for fitment. I amy just order a full set and work with those, but we will talk.

BHJ-- After I get done sorting out the 924/99 models I was planning to do a setup for the 951 (944 turbo) crowd that would fit the Turbo nose.

Take a look at the post above with the vent, that was just one idea.

First thing I am working on is my cars (944 NA and 924 Turbos) then I can modify the setup to work on the 944 turbo.

As for color matched or not. I think I will endup with a gelcoat finish that the buyer could paint. I may also offer the Carbon fiber look. But thats putting the cart ahead of the horse. I need to get mine finished and do a mold, should have that done before the end of Feb., maybe mid Feb. if work and life allows me to finish.

Doing the pod/bucket in white or grey gelcoat and go from their. If their is a demand for something else like black or carbon fiber then I can look into that. Of course carbonfiber or the carbonfiber look would increase the price.

I think the carbonfiber look would be easy enough, just get the sheets and apply it.

Otherwise, you can paint the gelcoat any color you want.

Of course Instead of fiberglass I suppose If I got all serious I could have the bucket/light pod made from plastic in black if their was a big enough demand.

Lots of suggestions from everyone are a big help. But I promise I am not just going to do this for the 924/944 NA crowd, once I am set to go on those I will work up a 944 turbo model.

Especially if I do something like a complete nose/badge panel with the lights molded in. I kind of like that idea. I will do a mock up of that for everyone to judge. But would be nice if I could replace the nose and the lights all at one time and might clean up the lines a little so you wouldnt have that seperation between the headlight opening and panel, in something like that I can see having it color matched maybe.

Once I do the mock up I can let people judge for themselves and voice their opinions.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:36 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

nose/badge panel with the lights molded in
I like that idea too, I would defenity think about that one. But nose panels are kind of expensive and would increse the price imensly, so you'd have to think about that too. Just keep us updated and let me know when you make the 951 mock ups.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:16 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

I wouldn't worry about the vent at the top of the headlight, iirc, that is a very low pressure area and would get very little air forced into it. Even the more traditional headlight vents would be nearly useless without including the lower portion of the NACA duct into the lower transition of the headlight cover...

However, without the vent, I love the look, very nicely styled. Count me in for the 951 kits when you get there.

Quick Reply: Fixed Headlight Prototypes