Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed Headlight Prototypes

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 02:07 PM
savage944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Techno, try pm now, should be clear.

As for fitment, It will fit the 924 and 944 NA, I havent worked on the 951 (944 turbo) yet, but shoule be easy enough to adapt.

Oh by the way the Hella 90mms are DOT legal.

This last set off pictures shows first...a IPF setup that could work, but light out put SUCKS!! 55W bulbs that can be upgraded... but focused more like a fog light than healights.

2nd shot middle left is a close up of the 90mm Hellas installed in mock up for 944.

3rd Shot is a close up of mounting frame and adjustment screws from another Hella competitor, I prefer the look and setup and adjustment of the Hellas and they are DOT legal.

ICESHARK if you read this drop me a email or PM and I can send the pictures and we can talk -- or anyone else who has ideas...

I am doing this for my car... If I can find a way to mass produce even just the light housings or work with someone to make a kit that is affordable I am all for that. If I have a mold... a fiberglass boat shop has all the right expensive equipment I just get them to kick a bunch out.

That would just leave a source for a Lexan cover... which I might have, besides Gt Racing... Or maybe I can find someone in Miami or something that can prduce them... Then just use some black window glue or what ever you call it and seal the fixture... will look way better than screws. Just have to make sure the mold/fixture I do matches up with the stock lines and that their is a lip for mounting the covers.

Ok so those are my thoughts. I am open to more ideas and tweaking.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2004, 02:23 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must say I like the setup that is installed, at least pshop installed, in the first picture. The one below is.... how shall we say... overwhelmingly jacquemond (I hate his headlight setups.... the rest is awesome... but jacquemond headlights blow, IMHO)

I like the top setup though, its more modern and incorporates my favorite cosmetic feature of the 300ZX
Old 01-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Hrm, are you using a projector for the low beams? It looks like it.
If so, is it HID or halogen?

I had a thought on the headlights, that I am going to give a shot.
I am going to do 'sleepy eyes', makes it look really agressive.
they will just lift up until the tops of the headlights point straight out (level on top).
And I will be fitting some Audi A6 Bi-Xenon projectors. That way the highbeam and lowbeam are incorporated into one unit, and I can still have HID's and flash people without worrying about the 10 second warmup, plus all the starts killing my bulbs.

I saw a sleepy-eye setup on a Rex, and I really liked it, so I thought about it for mine too.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:46 PM
kinda5150
Racer

those look pretty cool, but i would be more interested in the plain old rectangular headlights aka 924 gtr
Old 01-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Roral
Instructor

As Zero10 has said. the Bi-Xenon projectors could be a good option, or even the BMW 3series head lamps could work. I have seen Driving lens' from PIAA that are small, but a little pricey ($90CD) and I am not sure if they are a functional light source for head lamps. But I really like the 300ZX look like Patrat was saying.
Kudos on the project, as for making a mod. You could try Casting a mold out of plaster then, use that to cut down on manufacturing time. As for the Lexan, I haven't a clue.. but I am sure making a mold could be done in a cost effective manner with productivity in mind.

Just my .02, Steve
Old 01-29-2004, 09:14 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

I think that the housing and everything besides the lamp itself should be the same color as the car, I think it might look cleaner. The ones in the first picture would look fine on my car becasue my car is black. But thats just my .02 as well.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:19 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

well for the covers, in art school we used to use a vacuum form on acrylic. im pretty sure that lexan is the same thing. some of the sheets that we used said either lexan or acrylic. i think my gtracing covers are only 1/16 inch thick. this should be very easy to vacuum form. any thicker and bubbles occur. try doing a search for a vaccum form or vacu-former. i tried looking in my catalogs but didnt turn any up.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

kinda like this, I couldn't get it the way i wanted without photoshop and it turned black and white, but I'm sure you get the idea.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Hmm, if you could vacuum form lenses, and for cheap, then lexan may be an option.
The problem with lexan and acrylic is they both scratch pretty easily. And they look terrible after a year or two. But if you could make them by the hundreds, and they were cheap enough, people could switch them when they get all scratched up.
The other option, I don't know if you considered it, is using glass, but that is much more difficult, although it is a more permanent solution.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:06 AM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Definitely the first upper pic. Has a Viper/F40 appeal. Would be very interested. I don't have nor can afford the IceShark's light upgrade, so using two flashlights would be an improvement to me. You've got some interested people here, continue your work...it would be nice to see a set of lights under the tree this year. I've never considered the fixed lights until I saw that.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:53 AM
savage944
Racer

Wow great responses so far.

As for selling them as a kit or something... hey as long as the first one goes on my car and I don't go broke its all good so yea probably can be talked into making more than one.

As for the styles Yea I like the first one best myself

I would produce the first one in grey or white gelcoat and then it could be painted to match the body color as suited to a individual car, maybe someday even either carbonfiber instead of fiberglass or carbonfiber trim

Once I finish the trim work and fitting on the prototype---> read when I have the time to finish --> I can do a mold, once I have the mold I can produce them.

Biggest hurdle is time, followed by getting the lights aimed properly, but thats the beauty of HELLAs they have adjustments, just need a little frame for them to mount to that can be mounted to that car behind the headlight molding.

In case you didn't notice, the mock ups have a provision for a small amber turn signal indicator, not sure if I should keep that feature or delete it.

I also think I have to workout the wiring and all that for the lights.

The lights I will use as mentioned are the HELLA 90MM D.O.T. legal setups I have posted, being DOT legal is nice, and the bulbs can be upgrade to different levels of power.

I will have to consult with ICESHARK on max wattage as he is the expert their with regard to heat issues I trust his judgement in all related light issues.

As for the covers, I just need a shop to produce them, either using the stock metal headlight cover or having one mocked up. Then produce those.

COST -- ah that little demon, well HELLAs aren't cheap, but I can see they would be the biggest expense as Iceshark has mentioned, but their light output rocks!!

I figure will have to do a bulk order to get cost down on the lights or just offer up the buckets and you can get your own stinking lights hahaha maybe offer both... who knows...

Ok as for using other Hellas or similar lights, when I checked for other lights in the same size 90mm:

I looked up some of the other lights mentioned and I the cost of the BiXenon as mentioned by another rennlister is insane!! So yea going to stick to the 90MM separate Hi Low ones I posted pics of less than a 5th the cost, oh yea and great output!

HL68139 68139 Headlamp DE Xenon 90mm Low Beam SAE $516.92
OUT OF STOCK - 12/11/03 _

HL68140 68140 Headlamp, 90mm High Beam, E-code, Xenon HID $516.92
SOLD FOR RACING PURPOSES ONLY _

HL68141 HL68141 Headlamp BIXenon 90MM HI/LO SAE 12V _ $526.15

Still open to ideas and suggestions!!
Old 01-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Zero10
Race Car

FWIW, for the bi-xenon's, they will be tough to get for a good price in bulk. But, you can usually find a set on EBay, that in it's last hour is still under $300.
Seems to me, the cheapest ones are OEM from the Audi A6. I almost picked up a set for $220, but it went to $225, and my connection was too slow, so I lost =(
But again, they can't usually be had in bulk for those numbers.

If you are using HID, use just plain halogen for the high beams, that way when you flash people you don't wait 10 seconds, and you don't really shorten the bulb life by starting it hot.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:03 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Savage, email me your pics at wraydan@msn.com and we can go from there.

Those prices on the HID version of the 90mm look like USA prices at $520 per lens. They can be had quite a bit cheaper out of Europe in bulk. Though it has been well over a year since I last looked at this and the USD has crashed against the Euro so not totally sure what the price would be. But way cheaper than $520 per lens.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:17 PM
savage944
Racer

Iceshark -->You have mail.

Ok people, if we could do HID versions or something cheaper that would be great, the ones I posted a pic of use a H9 lens and are under a hundred each.

The prices for the others where based on the suggestions of others to use something like the BiXenon and I didnt do a lot of looking, but what I saw was expensive, I hope Iceshark for one has some more ideas on this stuff.

I want to keep it affordable, so if anyone has sources for Hella 90mm in similar configurations let me know.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Gear Dog
Instructor

My photoshop skills aren't that great but here are the color matched lights

Hope this helps

Ken

Quick Reply: Fixed Headlight Prototypes