Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking oil at the cam cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 01:04 PM
Tom Loder
Burning Brakes

Received 436 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Leaking oil at the cam cover

The car is a 1990 S2 Cabriolet, and it's leaking in the middle and rear on the exhaust at the gasket. Does my car have just a "gasket or do I need to remove the whole thing. I've read some conflicting information.

According to paperwork the PO provided, the timing chain was replaced approximately 2-3k miles ago, and re-tensioned about 1500 miles after that.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:30 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Is it the head gasket or the cam cover gasket that is leaking?

If it's the cam cover, you can easily unbolt it and lift it off to replace the gasket. Follow Porsche's shop manual if you have it, or down load on Internet. The fuel lines pass over the cam cover. You can get the cam cover off without removing or disconnecting the fuel lines if you work carefully.

Replace both the cam cover gasket that runs around the perimeter, and the rubber bushings under each bolt. You want to replace those bushings because they provide clamping pressure to the cam cover. DO NOT over tighten them, I believe the spec is 7 ft. lbs. They have a shoulder that stops on the head and over-tightening them will either break them or strip out the threads. Cam cover gasket gets sealer in just the four corners, nowhere else.

With parts and tools in hand, takes less then an easy hour to change. While you are in there inspect the cam chain tensioner pads for wear and cam chain teeth for missing or chipped. If you post a picture we can tell of the cam chain tensioner pads are worn out.

"According to paperwork the PO provided, the timing chain was replaced approximately 2-3k miles ago, and re-tensioned about 1500 miles after that."

Are you referring to the timing belt, not the timing chain? There is no timing chain, but there is a camshaft chain.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:38 AM
Tom Loder
Burning Brakes

Received 436 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
Is it the head gasket or the cam cover gasket that is leaking?

If it's the cam cover, you can easily unbolt it and lift it off to replace the gasket. Follow Porsche's shop manual if you have it, or down load on Internet. The fuel lines pass over the cam cover. You can get the cam cover off without removing or disconnecting the fuel lines if you work carefully.

Replace both the cam cover gasket that runs around the perimeter, and the rubber bushings under each bolt. You want to replace those bushings because they provide clamping pressure to the cam cover. DO NOT over tighten them, I believe the spec is 7 ft. lbs. They have a shoulder that stops on the head and over-tightening them will either break them or strip out the threads. Cam cover gasket gets sealer in just the four corners, nowhere else.

With parts and tools in hand, takes less then an easy hour to change. While you are in there inspect the cam chain tensioner pads for wear and cam chain teeth for missing or chipped. If you post a picture we can tell of the cam chain tensioner pads are worn out.

"According to paperwork the PO provided, the timing chain was replaced approximately 2-3k miles ago, and re-tensioned about 1500 miles after that."

Are you referring to the timing belt, not the timing chain? There is no timing chain, but there is a camshaft chain.
Thanks for the tips. It's the cam cover gasket, I will give it a go. You are correct, I meant timing belt.

Quick Reply: Leaking oil at the cam cover