Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauges & Grounds (w/a bad Alternator thrown in)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004 | 10:04 AM
Panacea
Track Day

An update on my gauge issues. I pulled the instrument cluster this weekend after testing every possible place for a voltage drop, and not finding one. I removed the voltmeter and tested it directly on the battery - it showed 2v low. After turning the adjustment pot all the way, it reads .75v low. But the gauge itself was the issue in this case.

While I had the cluster out, I checked the resistors and diodes. The large 68 ohm/5% resistor behind the voltmeter was showing 9.2 ohm of resistance, so it's bad. There's also a group of 3 diodes near the fuel gauge, and the one nearest the outside of the cluster allowed voltage in both directions.

I'm having some lighting problems with the cluster (not the actual lights - I fixed those while I was in there). Do the resistor and diode have to do with the lighting? Anyone have specs on them so I can replace them? Also, can you get replacement VDO gauge, like the voltmeter?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2004 | 05:41 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Outlaw,

e-mail me at wraydan@msn.com and I will tell you where to send the check and get you down on the sales list.

I don't know what is up with my Rennlist PM box. I cleaned it almost entirely out after a few people told me it was full and that didn't seem to help at all.

Quick Reply: Gauges & Grounds (w/a bad Alternator thrown in)