Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you swap the radio and the storage bin?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 01:17 PM
Tom Loder
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Can you swap the radio and the storage bin?

I'm looking at getting a single DIN slide out touch screen headunit. Due to the angle of the dash and the radio, I think it would be best if the radio got relocated below the cubby.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:14 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think you're going to have room, the back of the unit will hit the body. You can easily pull the bin and measure behind it. Also make sure when the screen deploys it doesn't hit the shifter.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:05 PM
schoeffman
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming this is for a second gen interior 944. I thought about installing a slide out unit. It will not fit in the lower din. I also worried about the angle in the upper din, so I went with a Sony XAV-AX5000. It fits great, but you will need to get a stereo trim piece to make the unit integrate nicely. My local stereo shop had a left over one that worked well.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:35 PM
J_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Loder
I'm looking at getting a single DIN slide out touch screen headunit. Due to the angle of the dash and the radio, I think it would be best if the radio got relocated below the cubby.
It may take awhile to find the right radio. I just did a radio swap in my '86 944. I wanted Apple Car Play and went with a single DIN that allows the radio to be operated with the screen in a closed position, or the screen can be tilted in a variety of angles so as not to hit the dash area below the temp controls. The microphone looks factory and works great with the BT for conversations, and the charging cable connects the Carplay and I can even control it from my phone. A little hard to see in the sun, like every other option out there, but that's the only negative. Crutchfield harness made this easy as pie, and less than an hour.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:33 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

Nice install! It's funny but one of my winter projects is to remove a PO's aftermarket radio and install a cubby, as the factory did on my 84'.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:12 AM
aussie944cab
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Pat Benetar's Greatest hits!!!
Old 11-16-2018, 09:18 AM
Tom Loder
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

It may take awhile to find the right radio. I just did a radio swap in my '86 944. I wanted Apple Car Play and went with a single DIN that allows the radio to be operated with the screen in a closed position, or the screen can be tilted in a variety of angles so as not to hit the dash area below the temp controls. The microphone looks factory and works great with the BT for conversations, and the charging cable connects the Carplay and I can even control it from my phone. A little hard to see in the sun, like every other option out there, but that's the only negative. Crutchfield harness made this easy as pie, and less than an hour.
Thank you so much, this is exactly what I wanted, but was told by Crutchfield it wouldn't work. I googled the crap out of it as well and turned up no images of a single din slide out in a late model 944. Adding this to my winter project list after I figure out the central locking issue.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:22 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie944cab
Pat Benetar's Greatest hits!!!
War Pigs!

Nice install, J_D.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:00 PM
J_D
Instructor

Thanks Gents! Not new to Porsche as my DD is a 2013 Cayenne GTS, and my fun car is a 2011 997.2 GTS, but when I saw this 944 it took me right back to HS and the car I lusted after.

This car has under 20K original miles, and it is in immaculate shape. I wish I had more power, but I adore this car, and the radio was severely lacking. This radio was exactly what I was looking for, and I researched for a few weeks.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:02 PM
J_D
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom Loder
Thank you so much, this is exactly what I wanted, but was told by Crutchfield it wouldn't work. I googled the crap out of it as well and turned up no images of a single din slide out in a late model 944. Adding this to my winter project list after I figure out the central locking issue.
I think the real issue is that the screen does cover the climate controls, but the option to close it, and still run BT audio or directly connected from my iPhone makes it an easy choice, or in some cases, once the temp settings are good, you can leave the screen out. I do want again to highlight that in bright sunlight, its very difficult to see, but running it from my phone negates that somewhat.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:11 PM
Tom Loder
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by J_D
I think the real issue is that the screen does cover the climate controls, but the option to close it, and still run BT audio or directly connected from my iPhone makes it an easy choice, or in some cases, once the temp settings are good, you can leave the screen out. I do want again to highlight that in bright sunlight, its very difficult to see, but running it from my phone negates that somewhat.
Good to know. It will be going into a Cabriolet, so that might be more of an issue.

Quick Reply: Can you swap the radio and the storage bin?