Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Midwest 944
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure problems

Quick question here,
I've got an 85.5 944 with 125k miles. About a month ago my oil filter gasket blew out. To make a long story short, it's still doing it. We've checked the oil pressure valve, it's fine and I know it's not the oil filters because I've used 6 different filters and 3 different brands. We got it running for about 75 miles this last weekend and I drove the snot out of it. To keep the filter from commiting hari kari I used some B12 Carb Cleaner in the oil and ran it for 15 minutes then changed to some fresh oil. I'm also using 10W-40 weight instead of the 20W-50 that I was told to use originally (which could be the wrong wieght anyway) and still get the same results. The last four times the filter goes, I'm at idle or under 2k on the tach. The pressure gauge would hoover around 3 bar at idle before I started having this problem but stays around 4.5 now.

Any ideas? Blocked oil passage, trolls, voodoo?
Old 01-28-2004, 08:12 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

These filters are rated for some 10 barg operating pressure, so to blow it you need something like 15 bar.
looks like a pressure relief valve at first but a plugged channel downstream the filter is a serious option.
This is hydraulics, man made, so you can safely eliminate trolls and / or voodoo.
TakeCare
Old 01-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Midwest 944
3rd Gear

Angry ARRRGGG!!!

OK, I've now used 7 cans of B12, 25 quarts of oil, and a butt-load of oil filters and keep getting the same result.

Last night I used an air compressor (160 psi) and shot it down into the oil filter housing. Got an air-tight seal and we could tell that it wasn't making it through (though pulling the air hose fitting out was fun... "psssssssst!"). So after two trys, we hear whatever it is blocking the passage break lose. Air started coming out the oil fill inlet and the oil pan plug opening. I ran two more bottles of B12 (carb cleaner) and 4 quarts of 10W-40 detergent oil for about 20 minutes. Car ran fine so I let the oil drain out all night. about an hour ago, I refilled the oil and put a brand new oil filter on. I got about a mile and a half before the oil filter failed again!!! This is getting expensive!!

Any more sugestions?

Does the front crossmember need to be removed to drop the oil pan (I've got the car up on ramps so I can't see everything too good)?

Thanks again.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Where in Texas are you? It's a BIG state, if you are in Houston, PM me, I'll get in touch (phone) maybe I could give you a hand? My thinking is OPRV, or if you happen to have an S2 there is a second relief valve in the head.

Please add you year and specific model (turbo, n/a, s2 etc) to your posts so that those little differences can be taken into account when diagnosing these problems.

I still vote for a clogged OPRV.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:18 AM
Midwest 944
3rd Gear

Sweet LORD!!!

I think it's fixed now. Been running fine for about 3 days.

I'm in DFW so Houston is quite a drive but thanks for the offer.

My car is the base 944, non turbo, etc. Regardless of what it is, it's going bye, bye. I'm starting a family and the 944 won't quite cut it anymore.

Thanks for the help and I'm going to stay around for a little while regardless of what car I'm driving. Probably be on the OT board quite a bit.

Oh yeah, and the OPRV is fine. I was certain that was the problem but it turned out to be a big 'ol sludge build up. You wouldn't believe the chunks of crap that came out the last time the oil was drained!

Sorry if this post is a little crazy, I'm pretty much plowed right now!!!

Quick Reply: Oil pressure problems