Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is having some fun with me

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 05:54 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Tell me more about this water in the tank

(However, since my trip, I have already filled up locally.. and on the ride home from Buffalo, I didn't notice anything odd during that 1.5 hour highway trip)
Old 11-21-2018, 06:01 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

PS.. *not* fun pulling the DME in this cold wind tonight! I think I'll pass this time.

I agree I need more diagnostics. I'm going to ask Jacob from this other thread how he installed a fuel pressure meter... how do you run a little fuel line from the rail inside? Isn't that a little iffy?

I wish I had that and a wbO2. I am planning to get the wb though... probably in the spring

Edit: come to think of it, there has to be a way to tell simply if the FP cuts when it stutters or stalls: if the jumper is in and it stalls, the pump should keep running. How can I rig something to show me if that's the case? I can't get out of the car as it may reactivate once I get under the hood
Old 11-22-2018, 08:56 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

As far as water in the tank problem goes, Go to your local FLAPS, and pick up a bottle of ISO HEET in a red bottle. This should help with the water problem. It's mostly Isopropyl alcohol that mixes well with water and converts it to a burnable mixture. It will not harm your engine. If the fuel line gets frozen, then purchase the ISO HEET in the yellow bottle. It contains methanol, which will defrost your fuel line. It will mix with the water, but less so than Isopropyl. Again, it will not harm your car or your engine. This may help cure your "stuttering" problem, since water in the gas (it's inherent) doesn't mix well with the gasoline. Even though that filling stations use plastic tanks now, underground, there is still condensed water that forms in the tank due to temp changes. Some more of it forms in the tanker trucks, as well as in holding tanks at their pickup points.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:28 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

Interesting thought. I got bad gas once in my 4runner and it was a pain to get it to clear out. It'd run great for a while and then really badly, basically stalling or nearly so. Sitting some time helped. Adding some fuel additive cleared it up for a good while but it kept coming back, less and less often and less severely. I was on a long trip and did not have E85 or Heet available at the time. I should have found a paint store or hardware store and gotten methanol or maybe just denatured alcohol would have done the job. I kept thinking the problem was gone and then 30 miles later it'd be dying on me again. The truck would usually idle though, often badly, and just not make power. I try to always keep some Heet in the cars/truck now year-round just in case.

I think some dodgy gas stations put water into the gas intentionally, with 10% alcohol already in there they can probably get away with putting 1-2% water into the gas and sell it for $2.50 a gallon. If they over-water the gas it'll come out of suspension.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:30 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

What's a FLAPS? lol

It's minus 10 Celsius today and just in case there's water to freeze in the lines, I let the 951 sit again. I've never ever had any water that I know of or symptoms exactly like this, but the descriptions above sound very similar to what I'm experiencing...
Old 11-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
What's a FLAPS? lol

It's minus 10 Celsius today and just in case there's water to freeze in the lines, I let the 951 sit again. I've never ever had any water that I know of or symptoms exactly like this, but the descriptions above sound very similar to what I'm experiencing...
Favorite
Local
Auto
Parts
Store.

FWIW, I haven't used Heet or any other 'water removal' product since E10 gas became standard. It accomplishes the same thing.

Phase separation (more water in the 'alcohol/water mix' than can mix with the gas) is real, but I've never seen it, and I've had very low levels of gas sitting for long periods of time in fairly humid conditions. Perfect conditions for condensation and water in the gas. I have experience with light planes, so I know about draining water out of the sump drains.
If it was going to happen, it likely would have happened to me.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:08 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Well, if it's not likely water, I'll go back to my fuel pump diagnosis amd see if I can confirm before ordering. Mind you, the Bosch pump --in kit form with new rubber caps-- is only $128 CDN right now... less than 2 tanks of gas up here
Old 11-23-2018, 11:25 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

With little time, short dark days, and a wicked cold snap keeping me from playing diagnostic mechanic, I crumbled and ordered the fuel pump.

It's been a couple of days of no 951 and I really miss it... often the highlight of my day is driving that thing. Plus, the sale may not last. It's a good price.

Car will rest for the weekend: too many important events that I can't miss due to a roadside breakdown. When FP comes in, I'll find out if that's it.

I went cheap and didn't get the sock; it's more than the FP. Ah, well. Such is life for Average Joe family man Porsche driver
Old 11-23-2018, 08:13 PM
edalenta
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oops

Last edited by edalenta; 11-23-2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: oops
Old 11-23-2018, 08:28 PM
edalenta
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Below is from the FSM Troubleshooting section.
Be sure that the female connector in the relay socket is not pushed out the back of the relay socket when you plug in the DME Relay...
Old 11-24-2018, 12:01 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by edalenta
Below is from the FSM Troubleshooting section.
Be sure that the female connector in the relay socket is not pushed out the back of the relay socket when you plug in the DME Relay...
Very interesting... thanks for posting!
Old 11-30-2018, 01:27 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Well, the female end looks good, which is always nice. The new FP just arrived and I'm planning to install it tomorrow. It's OEM Bosch which are currently made in Czech Republic apparently...

The episodes started increasing in frequency so I parked the 951 this week. I'm sure it will find a way to pee fuel all over me when I'm working under there. I think menopause has finally hit this beauty
Old 12-03-2018, 09:04 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

The fuel pump exchange went really well; yet another area of the car that I'm now intimately acquainted with.

Too bad it's not the fuel pump. Started driving in today and after only a few miles, it started acting up again. Knowing the full stall routine is coming, I drove back and switched vehicles. 951 one, Dan zero.

I guess I have to focus on electrics. The big ones are the coil, DME, and ignition switch. Since I'm dreading removing all that brittle dash plastic, I'll leave the last one for... last.

Last edited by Dan Martinic; 12-03-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:13 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

That's too bad. I have experienced similar symptoms with a bad DME. Have also helped others diagnose exactly the same issue (by swapping in a known good one).

If you have someone near you to try a swap - it would be best. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:21 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Yeah, at least I have a good backup FP now.. and some new wrenching skills

It's a little warmer out these days, so I'll pull the DME tonight and see if I can spot any odd solder joints

Quick Reply: Car is having some fun with me