Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: this is just sad...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 05:19 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts
Default OT: this is just sad...

I just got back from a job interview. Even though I was applying for an entry-level position when I have close to six years of experience, their lowest pay grade is still $2k more than what I was getting paid when I left my last job after close to four years!

Oh, and I'm coming back for a second interview. Sure, it's entry level... but it's still a promotion!

(You ever get the feeling that you weren't getting paid enough...? )

BB.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:25 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, hope you get it!

For me it's quite the opposite at the moment..

I've been to a couple of interviews since it never hurts to hunt a new job and reality is that I can stay unemployed for up to a year in case I lose my current job and still earn more on my "unemployed-insurance" than to take any of the offers I've been given... I managed to get up pretty high in the IT-bubble and haven't gone down in pay even though I quit my old job and started a new one January 2003.

The work market is wierd.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:30 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OT: this is just sad...

Originally posted by BeerBurner

(You ever get the feeling that you weren't getting paid enough...? )
I get paid less than the engineering co-ops who are working towards the same degree I have and want the same position I have.

I get paid $10,000/yr less than the lowest 25% for this region in this position in this industry.

Contract engineering blows. I KNOW I'm not getting paid enough. But in the end, I'll have the last laugh...
Old 01-27-2004, 06:16 PM
W88951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking a lateral move shortly (As far as pay goes) but an improvement as far as what I enjoy doing. I became fed up with many aspects of my current job and started looking around christmas. I will be going back to Server/Network/Desktop Administration with a Charter Airline company. It is much more the environment I prefer. Plus, I will be working around Large and Small Commercial Airplanes!!!!

PHP and MySQL can KMA!!! After working with these products for the last 5 months or so, I cannot ever see wanting to build any Web application using them. I would much rather spend the 2K or so dollars to have a Licensed IIS 5.0 and MS SQL 2000 Server.

But what is truely sad is that I will still be making at least 20K less than what my skillset and work expierence are worth in other parts of the country (As well as in better (tech) economic times).
Old 01-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PHP and MySQL can KMA, too!!! Slowly switching to ASP and SQL - no less painless, but at least they have standards and work... some of the time.

While the pay varies greatly according to region regardless of experience, qualification and commitment, so do the expenses. Some of my friends inside the tech world in-and-around the hub-of-activity would gladly take my salary and relative expenses. It's amazing what the cubic marginal dollar will not buy in some areas. Happy to have a roof over my garage and enough money to afford Denny's once in a while

Quick Reply: OT: this is just sad...