Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"The Big Tu"

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 03:51 AM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "The Big Tu"

Can we bring him back? He is the best source of entertainment this board has had in a few months.

Thanks,

SHAUN
Old 01-27-2004, 08:57 AM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Default Re: "The Big Tu"

Originally posted by mideastmafia
Can we bring him back? He is the best source of entertainment this board has had in a few months.

Thanks,

SHAUN

Was he banned?
Old 01-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: "The Big Tu"

Originally posted by mideastmafia

Thanks,

SHAUN
You have my vote.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:04 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Yet another new person that was ran off by over-zealous posts. This seems to be typical of Rennlist threads lately. Granted he seemed to be a bit of a hothead (and probably would have left over something else anyway), but the replies to his questions in that thread didn't help the situation very much. For reference to another similar thread, take a look at the "86 951 for sale" thread on the 944turbo board. I doubt that guy will be back as well.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:16 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, the same thing happened with Freeker (that was him, right, the kid with the low-mileage '83?). He struck me as someone who was excited about his new toy but didn't realize that 944's really don't respond to power upgrades the same way that most other cars do. Rather than helping him out, most people flamed him. All that was accomplished was further perpetuation of the myth that all Porsche owners are snobs. He'll tell his friends that, and I can't blame him for it.

BB.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:38 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Well yes and no...there were no angels on either side of this debate. Freeker was somewhat a hot head himself using derogatory words. You know he was looking to turn his 944 into a dragster. We made him upset with our disagreements but at least there was rationale for it. He does need to learn manners for certain. If he was my son he's grounded....

Originally posted by BeerBurner
Yeah, the same thing happened with Freeker (that was him, right, the kid with the low-mileage '83?). He struck me as someone who was excited about his new toy but didn't realize that 944's really don't respond to power upgrades the same way that most other cars do. Rather than helping him out, most people flamed him. All that was accomplished was further perpetuation of the myth that all Porsche owners are snobs. He'll tell his friends that, and I can't blame him for it
Old 01-27-2004, 11:20 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally posted by tifosiman
For reference to another similar thread, take a look at the "86 951 for sale" thread on the 944turbo board. I doubt that guy will be back as well.
Thanks for the link. I took at look at that thread. Read the whole thing. I made a mental note to never post on that thread or show pictures. I may be told my pathetic 944S is "extremely slow"

I like how they had almost a page worth of discussing the differences between:

Fast
Really Fast
extremely Fast
Old 01-27-2004, 12:09 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Thanks for the link. I took at look at that thread. Read the whole thing. I made a mental note to never post on that thread or show pictures. I may be told my pathetic 944S is "extremely slow"

I like how they had almost a page worth of discussing the differences between:

Fast
Really Fast
extremely Fast
I agree. That "Fast, Really Fast, Extremely Fast" definition from you-know-who was pathetic. I don't blame the guy for getting a bit uptight and probably never coming back. Ha! If your S is "extremely slow", then my 8valve n/a is probably "sluglike"
Old 01-27-2004, 12:25 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Tifo - that post you reference made me sick when I first read it.

I think Everyone here needs to step back and remember what Rennlist is all about:

COMMUNITY
Old 01-27-2004, 12:54 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with that....we have a lot of newbies and a lot of the same questions over and over. It's been mentioned that we create a newbie FAQ, but so far as I know, nothing has yet been done. There is one over on the 928 board that says "Before you post, read this" We need one over here. This community is much larger and if they need one, we do 10X as much.

I typically hang out for a while anywhere before I ever make a first post unless I really need help or something after I join. If I got treatment as some people here have without just being a little slower on the draw, I'd have left some of them. And some of them I have gotten that treatment and left from.

I usually try to be calm and not beligerent on here and try to even avoid getting into a big argument to the point where I'll just drop a topic and not post again. We all have opinions (just like we all have another certain body part as the saying goes ) but sometimes they don't belong posted on here when someone says something that inflames us.

Should we start another thread and begin working on an FAQ? It could be setup and to be on all of the 924/44/68 boards to minimize cross over problems. If a newbie comes in and posts without reading and asks one of those questions, we should POLITELY point them to the FAQ to start at and then encourage them to ask questions once they've read the FAQ and they should be welcomed and we should ask to see pics of their cars (especially if they are 968 Turbos or something! ).

So as not to hijack this thread I won't go into this here, I didn't even get a chance to look at the nitros thread until it was too late. Yes, he needed better ettiquite up front, that is one thing that should be in the FAQ....
Old 01-27-2004, 01:04 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

It sucks that some people get the third degree when posting new stuff. I think its just funny that the people that do are the ones that come in unknowingly with these cars looking for fast hp upgrades and crap like that. I would think eventually if they were true about the car they would learn after some reading and researching the archives and be better prepared for criticism. On the other hand, if your first post is all in bold with no punctuation, it is kinda hard to read and take seriously. We all started somewhere, i think some people forget that though. I also thing some people buy into the Porsche world with different expectations of the cars.

Oh well, just my 2 cents!
Old 01-27-2004, 01:14 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally posted by turbo944
Should we start another thread and begin working on an FAQ?
Consider it done:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=111039
Old 01-27-2004, 01:21 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

my first time posting here, i felt the same way. the other place i post is on the svo mustang boards. it consists of older guys that went from muscle cars to the svo. kinda like me but im the youngest one there! the people there are more mild mannered. i lean toward this board now because i find myself posting jokes and being silly....it doesnt go well with the older guys. plus watching these threads are like the stock market.......there is constantly stuff being posted. post in the morning, by night it is on page three!
Old 01-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

What is different about this board is that, yes there may be a lot of silly posting and jokes, but whenever a member needs something, there is support. And it seems that extends way beyond Porsches. It really is a strong community, and the people are here for more than themselves in the end. Very cool. VWVortex is a similar board, but i find you get a different mix of posting, and more of the ricey style posts where there is constant flaming and retarded sarcasm towards stuff. Then again, there is a lot more modding in the VW world for show than for race than we see in the Porsche community. The attitudes are different. I can see it very quickly going back and forth between the two. Ha, and then Ferrari chat is like a step away from the humor, and also consists of a lesser support i think, but its still decent board.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:56 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Tifo, I thought all 8v NAs are sluglike?

Sam

Quick Reply: "The Big Tu"