Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beautiful saturday gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 01:03 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if I'd include the part about "I thought I'd clear it" in my statement / correspondence. I'd just say factually what happened. If they try to turn it around on you by asking whether or not you saw it, just say "not until it was too late". Best of luck, hopefully you get a new engine out of it.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:22 PM
roco16
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Doubt I will get a new engine, but it was good to hear that the company was willing to pay for some damage.

I am curious, though as to what extent, if at all the autoappraisers can give me for work I MYSELF have done. Will they give me equivalent to shop labor? Could they argue that a shop would be more efficient than myself?
Old 03-11-2004, 12:30 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could they argue that a shop would be more efficient than myself?
Just go with the "book hours." That's what a shop would charge you, and it's the standard time for a mechanic to complete the repairs.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:52 PM
roco16
Instructor

Where can I get an official document stating how many shop hours Porsche reccommends to replace an oil pan? Based on the two shop estimates, it appears on the order of 14-18 hour of labor, but I cant think of a way to get an official printout of that, other than maybe going to a P. dealer and getting the page copied.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:57 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your argument in your second letter did not seem very convincing. Pleas appealing to their pity or asking for their mercy are not likely to go over too well. You'd be better to find a way to sell this in their self interest or be more assertive with your demands. Asking someone to feel sorry makes you come across as very "weak" and you're likely to be screwed with some half-assed settlement because they feel they can walk all over you. You might not have the backing of a billion dollar company, but the more you leave to the imagination in your approach (word choice, assertiveness, confidence), the better off you will be. With enough confidence or authority on a subject, you can get away with anything.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:00 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by roco16
Where can I get an official document stating how many shop hours Porsche reccommends to replace an oil pan? Based on the two shop estimates, it appears on the order of 14-18 hour of labor, but I cant think of a way to get an official printout of that, other than maybe going to a P. dealer and getting the page copied.
I would imagine just going to any P-car shop, dealer or not, and getting a written estimate for the work done + parts should suffice.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:13 PM
roco16
Instructor

nickhance-

I have to say that I disagree with you.

- Pleas appealing to their pity?

Did I mention to them that I am a poor college student, with no other functioning car?

-You'd be better to find a way to sell this in their self interest

quoting the second letter: "as CEO of a reputable, award-winning company, you care about the satisfaction and safety of your customers. It is for this reason I inform you of the danger posed by the filler cap"

I think you offer good advice in general, but that it does not apply to my case. Thanks for the post though.

-Robert
Old 03-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by SidViscous
If anything it shows why SUV's are preferable over regular type cars for everyday driving.

They are less likely to bottom out on an upside down manhole cover placed by some Assclown gas station attendant.
SUV lover!

Any other reasons to buy one? Other than they're good when you ram someone?

I am surprised at you Sid.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:17 PM
roco16
Instructor

Well, guys... it is finally over.

I received a check for $2096.00 for the damages to my 951.

In all sincerity, THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND GUIDANCE!

The only bummer is that I have been (and still am) without my running 951 for 2.5 months now (my daily driver, I might add).

It appears that I have a front cam housing seal leak and that it is making its way quite conveniently to the crossover pipe. Anybody ever had this?
Old 03-21-2004, 03:45 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Congrats Roco.

Peck, not sure why that came out of the blue, but it was in reference to blaming SUV's for what happened to Roco'c car, which is totally misplaced.

There is nothign wrong with SUV's, they're just another type of vehicle, and the fact that they are popular means there are more, but there is nothing wrong with that.

Just because you like Moxie, doesn't mean no-one should drink Coke.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Flight_951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Well done! I'm glad it worked out for you.

Old 03-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

SUVs may not be relevant to this particular discussion, but since it's been brought up I think it's worth pointing out that they represent the worst aspects of American culture and that's probably why a lot of people (including myself) hate them so much - particularly the so-called "luxury" ones.

They're obnoxious vehicles that place everyone else in jeopardy in a collision (unless you happen to have a truck), you can't see around them, they ride at a height that typically places their headlights right at your eye level, they guzzle gas needlessly (increasing our dependence on foreign oil), and are often (though not always) driven by the most oblivious, self-centered, ignorant morons the driving community has to offer (e.g. cell phone jammed in the ear or trying to discipline 6 rowdy kids in the back or tuning their DVD player or trying to "bully" their way into your lane or whatever). I hate to generalize, but I really do think the "stupid moves" I see out driving are disproportionately higher in SUVs than in any other class of vehicle.

Besides, why the heck does anyone need a vehicle capable of crossing the Mississippi River or the Himalayas when they NEVER TAKE IT OFF-ROAD?!?!?! The stupidity amazes even me! Sheesh!
Old 03-21-2004, 05:06 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile

Besides, why the heck does anyone need a vehicle capable of crossing the Mississippi River or the Himalayas when they NEVER TAKE IT OFF-ROAD?!?!?! The stupidity amazes even me! Sheesh!
why does one own a sports car when they never intend to take it to a track or twisty roads? not say you, just saying that across the board, there are many people who don't use their cars as intended. i don't mind SUV's per say, but i do think their drivers are awful. i hope to never buy one, but i could see how they combine good aspects of a truck and car, and i bet 4wd ones are nice in winter.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:11 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile
driven by the most oblivious, self-centered, ignorant morons the driving community has to offer
Yup, sounds just like me!

-Christian
Old 03-21-2004, 05:17 PM
crazandy
Racer

So you all don't like my soon to be (when I get a 360 to replace the 304) Daily Driver?

Oh ya, bigger tires (36" to replace the 33") are coming soon. The sad thing is, this thing is faster than my 944 and can stop quicker too now since I put rear disc brakes on it.

Quick Reply: Beautiful saturday gone bad