Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof won't close with button anymore..

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 06:12 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Sunroof won't close with button anymore..

So went to a PCA event last Sunday. Turned into a nice day so opened the sunroof on the way back. Got home, and it wouldn't close. Had to close it manually. Testing shows it opens fine, so the motor is good. Swapped the relays, so it's not those. I'm currently thinking it's the switch. That the close part isn't working anymore. But before tearing apart my console again I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas of something else I might be? If I close it manually, it opens fine with the button every time.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:31 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Clarks Garage has a good writeup on how the sunroof system works. In addition to the switch in the console, there are also "limit switches" on the mechanism in the trunk. One of these may be activated, preventing the console switch signal getting to the motor.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:50 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

If you try to close the sunroof with ignition key in position 1 (ACC-engine off but radio on), the switch operates differently: 'open' lowers the arms. But you probably know this already
Old 10-25-2018, 07:55 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
Clarks Garage has a good writeup on how the sunroof system works. In addition to the switch in the console, there are also "limit switches" on the mechanism in the trunk. One of these may be activated, preventing the console switch signal getting to the motor.
Yeah, that was my first stop. But I didn't see much on testing those "micro switches" as he calls them. Hence my post. I guess I'm just going to go out and pull the switch and play with it. See if I can figure out how it works and test it first. If that test fine I guess I'll look more into those limit switches. I guess I could pull the switch out of the 87 and use that as a test also... But I'm getting tired of cannibalizing the 87. It's not a parts car, but I'm treating it as one!

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
If you try to close the sunroof with ignition key in position 1 (ACC-engine off but radio on), the switch operates differently: 'open' lowers the arms. But you probably know this already
Yep! I've only ever removed it fully once, and it started raining! LOL. Cop stopped to see what I was up to as I scrambled on the side of the road trying to put it back in. Fun in the rain.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:11 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Yes, it does look like a strange operation in today's world lol

Have to say.. this year I've driven with it removed a ton.. more than in past.. really enjoyed it; lots of early- evening driving! Pretty dry summer to boot.

I've never tried to "lower" the roof after it's open using key position 1. Since it opens with the switch, maybe pressing "open" in key position 1 will close it? Or is that what you mean by closing it manually? I'm thinking by manual you mean winding the motor in the trunk like that pic in the book
Old 10-25-2018, 08:28 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Yes, it does look like a strange operation in today's world lol

Have to say.. this year I've driven with it removed a ton.. more than in past.. really enjoyed it; lots of early- evening driving! Pretty dry summer to boot.

I've never tried to "lower" the roof after it's open using key position 1. Since it opens with the switch, maybe pressing "open" in key position 1 will close it? Or is that what you mean by closing it manually? I'm thinking by manual you mean winding the motor in the trunk like that pic in the book
Yeah, 7mm socket on the little manual crank in the hatch. Only way it will close currently. Guess I'll pull the switch from the 87 tonight and see what I find. I need to pull the wiper switch anyway, the 86's melted last year. The 87 has had the rear wiper delete done, so it doesn't need it anyway. I'll report back with my findings.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:19 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Yep, it was the switch!

Pulled the Sunroof and Rear Wiper switches out of the 87, and both work fine now. These 30 year old switches are getting to be a problem. On both cars I've had to "fix" many of them. I'll get a block off for the switch hole in the 87 as it's had the delete and doesn't have a rear wiper anymore. I'll try and rebuild the one I removed from the 86 and put it back in the 87. Those switches are kinda pricey.

Quick Reply: Sunroof won't close with button anymore..