Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD 6BTM upgrade for SC 944

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004 | 01:37 PM
savage944
Racer

Default MSD 6BTM upgrade for SC 944

So here is the question: when appling boost to a non-orginal equiped porsche 944 engine (Supercharger) for purposes of avoiding detonation and modifying timing how about using a MSD - 6BTM to retard timing?

I have seen this unit used numerious times in porsche 924 applications and in a few non porsches... what about the 944

MSD has this to say: ---------------------------
MSD-6BTM Ignition Control with Boost Timing Master

MSD's multiple sparks and capacitive discharge power, and a built-in boost retard circuit to prevent detonation. The MSD-6BTM prevents detonation by automatically retarding the spark timing as the boost pressure increases. By electronically controlling the spark advance, a supercharged engine can operate on the threshold of detonation for maximum engine power and efficiency.

The MSD-6BTM's spark timing retard can be adjusted from 1 degree per pound of boost to 3 degrees, with a maximum retard of 15 degrees. A convenient dash mounted control **** allows you to make adjustments while driving to compensate for changes in altitude, air temperature and fuel octane levels. The spark timing retard is activated by a boost pressure sensor located on the side of the unit, and also features a built in rev control.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seems to me not a bad choice for retarding timing and then its a mater of fuel delivery, and their are after market devices for adding additional injectors that are also boost sensitive.

I was thinking SC setup using the principals and basic design ideas of the orginal BAE Turbo Kits.

Of course I am doing it myself. Not touching on the upgrades to the rest of the car or the engine itself, just looking for information on making a MSD setup work in the 944.

Intent is to run 6-8 PSI, boost control will be through manifold pressure swtich rigged to the clutch driven pulley on the SC. SC comes on and stay from idle on up, cuts out when reaches max boost, just like turning your ac on and off.

Look forward to everyones comments.
Old 01-23-2004 | 03:13 PM
jp944
Pro

I have a very similar setup with a Crane CD/MS ignition, map sensor and timing controller. Works pretty well.

jp

Quick Reply: MSD 6BTM upgrade for SC 944