Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the path to total drivetrain overhaul?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 07:47 PM
DatBassTho
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
I was going to say the "path" to Drivetrain rebuilding starts at the bank :-)

Seriously, 300hp Not an issue, just Drive a higher HP car with your head, Dont dump the clutch, power-shift it so hard it "shocks" the drivetrain... Ease into it, no matter what you have or get be smart with it and it will last a long time

Im on My 4th 944 turbo and still have three, NEVER had a driveline issue (18years and counting) and am running over 300 on all of em... Including the Racecar which has a Tec3 Standalone..
That is awesome!!! I'm totally aware of the costs coming my way. Just wanting to build the strongest foundation I can so that I can drive it worry free on the weekends and hit a track day or two a year. 4 944s!?!? How do you give each one proper attention lol
Old 10-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DatBassTho
Also, do you have links to the cooler and LSD you used? Did you put them in yourself or let a shop do it.
Jordan
I didn't answer all of this, but I did install the cooler myself (with assistance on the gasket from Kevin Gross). I had the gears and LSD installed by Sprint Autoworks in San Jose CA, James is the owner and understands these transmissions very well. While I briefly explored doing the work in my own shop, it didn't take too long to discover the tools needed to do the job correctly price it out of reach for even general Porsche shops; unless you're going to specialize in transmission work its difficult to justify the expense.

If you're in the CA Bay Area you can find reviews and contact information here:

https://www.surecritic.com/reviews/sprint-auto-works

Others I used to source parts and advice were mentioned earlier, Dimi at Flying Horse, Kevin at Catellus, and Constantine at Black Sea. There was also lots and lots of general help from this forum. When you start looking at suspension tuning theres a wealth of information here from both private tuners and professional retailers you can depend on.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 10-16-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:11 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Good to hear on the trans. I definitely want to get the cool as possible so a cooler will most likely happen when it is time. I'm already planning for a full 4 bearing (I believe that is their highest offering for ~$700) torque tube rebuild and or new TT from black sea.
Just a heads up, Constantine, the guy in post #12, is Black Sea R&D.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:04 PM
DatBassTho
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Just a heads up, Constantine, the guy in post #12, is Black Sea R&D.
I had a feeling it was but didn't ask! Pretty cool that he is active in the forums.

Quick Reply: What's the path to total drivetrain overhaul?