Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small project while working on larger projects!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 11:30 PM
Rob-O
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small project while working on larger projects!

while doing some research and work on my no start issue I pulled the instrument cluster to replace the odometer gear. While getting the e-clip off the broken gear spindle I broke the spindle/plastic!! Superglued that back on and it held (I’m taking bets for how long this fix will last). Cleaned out what was left of the old gear and installed the new gear. The lens was loose and scratched up so I pulled that and polished it with rubbing compound. The lights were dim so I painted the plastic pieces that transmit the light with a silver metallic Sharpie ‘oil based’ paint pen. The painted area inside the cluster looked bad too. The black paint had turned a weird brown/rust color. So I hit that with some flat paint rattle can. Superglued the lens back on and checked/cleaned all the lighting. Came out nice and once I cleaned the binnacle/vents it put it back together it looks fantastic. Only issue was that a Po must’ve taken the vent off at some point and removed the flap that closes off the vents when you slide the control between the two vents up. That closes off the vents and sends the air up to the defrost vent area (as far as I understand the system). Replaced the burned out defrost light behind the binnacle as well. I didn’t take a pic of it back in the car (I’m a little embarrassed on how bad this interior looks) but I snapped a shot of the cluster after
i reassembled it but before I installed it in the car. Pic below...

Old 10-04-2018, 12:06 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

How did you remove plastic face? Also, when you painted, how did you cover high beam, idiot light and turn signal portions?
Old 10-04-2018, 03:10 PM
Rob-O
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plastic was just barely on. Looks like it was glued on originally but let go over the years. If you’re contemplating this project I’ll bet a razor would help break that seal between binnacle and plastic lens.

the turn signal and “!” Lens come off from the back. There are just two little pins that hold them
on.

Quick Reply: Small project while working on larger projects!