Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the difference between a 10k 944 and 20k 944?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 02:29 PM
DatBassTho
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swenny
"I think I'll just got for the 951"
HA! Bitten by the Porsche bug! I hope that you find one that was well taken care of.

Yeaaaa. I've been wanting a sports car for a long time. I'm about to finish my MBA so this is my gift to me. I could just as easily go with a new mustang or something and probably be faster and more reliable but I'd like something vintage, lighter weight, and a little more easy to work on myself. New stuff has become quite complicated to work on alone.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:39 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

If you're talking 944 turbo values, yes they can vary for all the reasons already mentioned, condition, maintenance, options, mileage, etc. Also, don't forget that the early turbos (86 to 88) were always priced considerably lower than the later (88S to 91) cars. If you took an 87 turbo and an 89 turbo of identical mileage, condition and records, the 89 turbo is likely worth twice as much as the 87. Even for a parts car, the later 944 turbos have a lot more rare and desirable parts than the earlier models.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:47 PM
DatBassTho
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the difference between the 86-88 and later models turbos? I'm sure there is a thread somewhere describing this. Like you said though, more desirable and more rare features also says more expensive to maintain to me and that is not what I'm after in this. I understand there will be costs but i'm looking to have fun. Not at the over all value increase.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:13 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by BoulderGeek
I frequently miss my 944. There were lots of good things about it, and I hope that the new owners have had a good experience with it, as well. If you haven't owned a 944 before, I might suggest an NA before a Turbo, to learn what you can and see if it is for you. My situation turned out to be ,"I love the handling, build quality, ergonomics, aesthetics. I just want it to be modern with respect to maintenance, reliability and power." The answer was Cayman or BRZ. Cayman won, by a long margin.
In August 2014 I went into the Toyota dealer to buy a BRZ or FRS. Took the only manual they had for a test drive (ugly orange). Told the salesman it needed air in the tires because they were squeaking at a very low speed and the car was sloppy. He said it would be fixed when the car is delivered. Then I pull in, and the store manager asks me what I think? I asked how much they were giving off MSRP. He said nothing because there is such a demand. I said for that money I will wait for a 15, or buy a used Cayman with more HP, a better label, and already depreciated. Drove a half mile to the Subaru dealer with a half dozen 13s on the lot at big discounts. All automatics. I really wanted to buy one that day. Like the 944 you can fit track tires in the back. Too bad I cant do that with my Cayman.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:33 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 152 Posts

My advice is to ensure that body/paint are all in excellent shape, no rust anywhere. If there are mechanical issues and you are willing to put time into that, you can fix those. Most people (myself included) don't have the skills, equipment, or space to properly do body repairs. Those end up being extremely expensive. If you want to spend lots of time fixing because you enjoy that, get a less expensive car up front. If you want it to drive on a regular basis, buy one that is already sorted and more expensive up front.

Quick Reply: What is the difference between a 10k 944 and 20k 944?