Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you store your porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004 | 04:18 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

I just think...well if i drive it, i need to wash it. And in this weather, i cant wash it because the water will freeze before im done. (happened last year, i was stupid, and pissed. Thank goodness i was just on the wheels) Therefor, i have to sit in anticipation of spring. It sucks, but it gives me a lot to look foward to!
Old 01-20-2004 | 06:42 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

1st i drive til the tank is near empty, then i pour in a bottle of gas saver or preservative ****... you know to keep gas from going bad. then i go to the gas station, fill the car up with gas (in this order so that the gas saver will mix with the gas as i fill the tank to the top). the tank is filled so that the gas tank wont rust.

i then make sure oil, and brake fluid and gear box oil are filled as well. i make sure to take out plugs, and squirt a bit of oil in.

then i fill the tires to max recomended preassure. (so they wont get flat spots when sitting over winter). and

next, i wash it, dry it off thuroughly and park in the garage, with doors cracked open , hood up, and deck lid up. have 2 big flourecent shop lamps lie underneath the car, and have two fans running and a dehumidifier inside the garage. leave it like this, uncovered for 2 whole days (always checking to make sure nothings catching on fire, to move fans to different places to make sure all moisture is evaporating, and to empty dehumidifier). this is to make sure all moisture is out of all the nooks and crannies. i got the idea for the lamps from the way people store boats durring the winter). also when i park it, i take out the batterey.
after the 2 days, take the lights out from underneath, take fans back down to the basement, take humidifier down to basement, and look over once more to make sure she is dry.

next i put these big silica gel packets that tweeks sells on the seats and floors front and back. (silica gel packets.. like the ones you get in your pockets when you get new clothes to keep mothes, mildew etc away). this is to keep moisture, and mildew out of the interior of the car. i also put some in the trunk too.

then i roll an old sock into a ball, and stuff it into the end of the muffler (with the end hanging out... as a reminder its there and for easy pull out. this is to keep all varmits out of there. (been known to happen).

next i give her a kiss on the hood badge, as i put the trunk down (not latching it of course), then i hug the front fender, wipe my tears off of its clean paint. **** doors, but not solid, so as not to hurt seals, and shut the deck lid. place a few moth ***** on a couple of trays strategically placed underneath the car (again to keep away virmen), and procede to cover the car.

next i cry and think of all the memories of the past summer (cue the song memories..) and then get right on to planning winter projects, my budget for them, and for next summer.

im ****.. but she is definitly stored well. also remember we are talking about a 35 year old, non galvanized, 98% rust free car.. and every car has rust somewhere, even a tiney bit. the thing is, you have to know where it is. and if you say your car isnt rust free, its either brand new, or you havent looked hard enough. do you know where your rust is? i know i do.
Old 01-20-2004 | 06:51 PM
Sami951
Drifting

I just drove mine into a garage, washed, put the cover on and left it there. Went to see everything is fine after a month or so, drove around for ~15 minutes, parked, cover on and left... Next visit due soon... hopefully I'll be able to take the car back home right on first of March (it's illegal to drive around on summer tires between 12/1 and 3/1 over here)
Old 01-20-2004 | 07:23 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

No kidding, some times I actually forget that I own the car because of the long periods between which I am able to drive her.

I have these random thoughts during the winter and then it pops into my head "hey wait... I own a 944 Turbo". Then I remind myself how lucky I really am to have an awesome car like this.

Compared to some people who struggle to make ends meet and put food on the table, we (for the most part) are a very LUCKY group of guys!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2004 | 10:02 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Mine's sitting in my dad's carport for now until spring...I have a new winter beater, I'll be posting pics soon...oh man, just you guys wait...
Old 01-20-2004 | 10:27 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Originally posted by hoffman912
...**** doors, but not solid, ...
Hmm...i think you should seek medical assistance promptly.
Old 01-20-2004 | 11:43 PM
DMan
Intermediate

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by hoffman912
...**** doors, but not solid, ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Blue S2
Hmm...i think you should seek medical assistance promptly.

Seriously... Hoffman, your car must love you....
Old 01-20-2004 | 11:51 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Store? :P Mine is sitting outside. I have pics of it covered in snow. It likes it.
Old 01-21-2004 | 12:01 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

shut doors.. excuse the typos, im not getting much sleep these days.

god you guys crack me up.

Old 01-21-2004 | 12:18 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

mine got washed, under a cover..then I went out and saw condensation all under it so off came the cover and its sitting there naked in bay 4. Im 3 hours away..

Good news, new bumper on the way, then order up a splitter and shes going to the paint shop..by then its time for nicer weather!
Old 01-21-2004 | 12:47 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Washed, then stuck in my friend's garage for the winter. Pulled it out over winter break, where it sat on the driveway when I wasn't driving it. Thing got horribly filthy. Washed it, then dropped it back off at my friend's house when I went back to school.
Old 01-21-2004 | 01:15 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

ahhhh California... not only that, we have canyons, LOTS of em, and their GOOD!
~Eyal
Old 01-21-2004 | 08:51 AM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

This is the first year I've had the option to store my 944. Fortunately, the roads here aren't covered in snow all winter long. So, to get a "fix," about every two weeks when the roads are dry I come up with some bogus errand that requires me to go out sans kids/wife.

I definitely appreciate the car even more when it's not my daily driver. It's like eating a ribeye after two weeks of eating burgers.
Old 01-22-2004 | 08:09 PM
gleamingred944
Instructor

This has been dealt with ad nauseum.

1. Rust Protect - in Canada go for Krown
2. Tires - Blizzaks are the winner in this forum
3. Touchless Car Wash - whatever local firm supplies one you like.

Then, enjoy it !
Wet Porshes are super winter cars.
Old 01-22-2004 | 08:37 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

mine's outside under a cover... in the best parking spot in the lot. i drive my roommates 951 so i dont have to move it, all it costs me is gas

talk about a win-win situation. next time ihave to drive my car i'll be sure to enjoy it

-Michael-

Quick Reply: How do you store your porsche?