Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Outdoor Car Cover Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 11:55 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Best Outdoor Car Cover Recomendations

I need to store one of my cars outside for a few months. Anyone have recommendations for a good quality car cover to protect from the sun, rain and bird droppings?

Ive looked at a few online with a huge price swing and mixed reviews (eBay: konocovers, sealskincovers, carcovers, etc) so I prefer guidance from folk who have purchased, used and been happy with their covers. TIA
Old 08-29-2018, 01:43 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used Covercraft WeatherShield HP cover for a BMW that stays outside. Has worked well in big snow and rain storms. One of the nice features is you can wash the cover in a normal home washing machine which makes it easy to upkeep. Also because the cover is somewhat lightweight I generally always use the tie down grommets to a gallon jug on each side with a ball and cord bungee to keep it in place.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:29 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 for Covercraft also. The most important consideration when choosing a car is that it's breathable. A good tip is crack the windows open a bit.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:31 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a California Car Cover (in the Noah fabric) on the recommendation of a friend who has to store a couple of cars outside. Used it on my 944 all last winter and put one of the desiccant buckets in the car before I closed everything up.

After months of sitting out in PNW Rain, snow, etc. the inside remained dry and the body was still clean after removing the cover. There was a smidgen of moisture in the desiccant bucket but not much. Only minor hiccup was water collecting at the bottom of the spoiler and glass. A length of 3" ABS pipe under the cover kept the water from pooling up. Not a big deal since it would just wick its way to other areas as the cover dried out.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:49 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pdxfj
Used it on my 944 all last winter and put one of the desiccant buckets in the car before I closed everything up.
This is a good tip about using desiccant. I save the packets from anything that comes with them (shoes, clothes..etc) and scatter them around the interior on cars that don't get opened up a lot during the winter.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:16 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave951
This is a good tip about using desiccant. I save the packets from anything that comes with them (shoes, clothes..etc) and scatter them around the interior on cars that don't get opened up a lot during the winter.
Maybe a bit of 'Captain Obvious' here, but you have to dry them out. They will have become 'full' over time.

There's good info on how to do that online.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:19 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased an all-weather triple layer and the first wind it ripped apart and it banged my nose and my badge on my '24S so hard that it looks as I had driven through freshly laid asphalt.Don't buy any covers that have hard plastic connectors if you plan on using it outside. Use string or some soft material to tie it onto the car (no bungee cords).
Old 08-31-2018, 02:04 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Swenny
Don't buy any covers that have hard plastic connectors if you plan on using it outside. Use string or some soft material to tie it onto the car (no bungee cords).
I think I know what your trying to get at here; though most of the high quality covers have a double layer fleece backing or other padding/reinforcement on the underside surrounding area where the plastic grommet is.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:49 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave951
I think I know what your trying to get at here; though most of the high quality covers have a double layer fleece backing or other padding/reinforcement on the underside surrounding area where the plastic grommet is.
I
With strong winds the plastic bangs on your paint and chips it pretty good. These Porsches are pretty delicate little Hintern Gebäcks.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:57 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Thanks for the advise guys. After some research I’ve ordered the Covercraft Custom Block-It 380 at $165, it has great reviews and I didn’t want to spend over $500 for the Covercraft WeatherShield HP cover. Like I said its just for a few months, this isn’t going to be a cover I’ll be using repeatedly or long-term as I usually have room to store all my cars indoors. I’ll update the post with a picture of it fitted when I get it and again after a few months with a performance review.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:34 PM
reddahaydn
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block it 380

So how did you go? We’re you happy with the block it 380 car cover?
Im thinking about getting on for my race car.
Cheers
Old 09-16-2019, 11:32 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by marc abrams
+1 for Covercraft also. The most important consideration when choosing a car is that it's breathable. A good tip is crack the windows open a bit.
Originally Posted by MAGK944
Thanks for the advise guys. After some research I’ve ordered the Covercraft Custom Block-It 380 at $165, it has great reviews and I didn’t want to spend over $500 for the Covercraft WeatherShield HP cover. Like I said its just for a few months, this isn’t going to be a cover I’ll be using repeatedly or long-term as I usually have room to store all my cars indoors. I’ll update the post with a picture of it fitted when I get it and again after a few months with a performance review.

+2 for Covercraft. A good choice IMO.

I've owned a 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder for 15 years and most of that time was spent outdoors under a Covercraft Weathershield cover. The 1st one I bought over 10 years ago just started to fray at the seams and I was quickly able to buy a replacement. They keep all of the patterns and only build to order. They added 2 extra grommet holes (front and back, center) which I use for an extra tie down using a long bungee cord to keep the cover from blowing off in the wind.

Bought a cheap cover just for indoor use on my 2008 BMW 335i just to keep the dust off of it (it's a black car) but there's no comparison in quality of materials/fit or construction when compared w/the Covercraft cover.

Quick Reply: Best Outdoor Car Cover Recomendations