Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seatbelts with Aftermarket seats.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 03:31 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Seatbelts with Aftermarket seats.

Where have you guys bolted your female end seatbelt clip that was attached to the inside of the seat rail? Is there a bolt hole under that carpet on the torque tube side? Right now I have the clip relocated to one of the floor bolts, but it's really difficult to get everything lined up.

Justin
Old 01-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put mine at the rail. one bolt hole lined up with the bolt that holds the rail to the seat and for the other hole I drilled an additional hole in the slider rail and used a new bolt w/nut.

Mark
Old 01-18-2004, 09:50 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

You need to be REALLY careful in how you do this stuff. It requires a lot of thought and study to avoid a dangerous situation. For some general good info on how to mount belts, go to the Simpson website.

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/c...s/restinfo.asp

If there is no solid place to bolt and stay within the guidlines that Simpson offers, I will fabricate and weld a tab on the slider or seat mount plate/frame to pick up the belt mount.

Rule of thumb, Think, think again, then rethink! Your first idea could KILL YOU!

Old 01-19-2004, 07:01 PM
major
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Sparco Torino seats in my '87 944S and I bolted them in the same place the old stock seats had them bolted.........A large bolt where the seat back bolts to the seat. It slides up and back with the seat as the original did.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:14 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Within the Sparco line the Torino and Milano, and also the new Monza and Siena, are all adjustable back seats that will allow an opportunity to add the inboard seat belt to the seat itself. I don't know if that is the "right" thing to do. The original late model 944 (85.5+) inboard seat belt mount is on the rail toward the rear, and appears to be very strong (the reason additional bolts are used in the rear of late model 944 seat. The early models attach this belt to the centre tunnel. In most cases of race belt installation in any year 944/968, we use the centre tunnel and reinforce the back with a thick steel plate.

I have personally installed Torinos in a 911 and we used the bolt on the seat to attach the inboard seatbelt. It appears to be very safe.

For all fixed back seats, this is not an option. Attaching the seat belt to the side mount bolts is absolutely wrong. Attaching to the rail-to-chassis bolts is not allowed in racing (PCA), so there may be a very good reason. Sparco sells a seat base for the late model 911 that has an inboard seatbelt mounting tang on it, but it didn't fit in the 90 C2 I have experience with so we chopped it off and went to the seat itself. I would not ever mount a racing belt to the seat itself... they should be attached to the chassis only, and reinforced if possible.

Just an FYI, Sparco just released a new and affordable adjustable back sport seat. The new Siena retails for $449 and is available in the solid colors of Red, Blue and Black.

Quick Reply: Seatbelts with Aftermarket seats.