Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watt bulb do I need

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 08:14 PM
randyvitaha
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Watt bulb do I need

Can anyone help me? I have 1986 944 that needs a new bulb for the driver's side rear taillight. Doesn't sound like a big deal, does it? Surprise!Having checked with several dealers and several auto parts stores, none seem to have it listed. Several of the parts catalogs I've come across show that they have one to fit, but the wattage reads incorrectly, according to the old one which I have removed. My bulb reads as follows: OSRAM 5007 R19/5 12V 5W 37R E1 00207-n464. I have no idea what all those numbers mean other than the 12V, 5W marking. Does anyone know exactly what wattage bulb this takes, as all I find are 10W instead of the 5W mine shows. Will the 10W bulb will work, or will it damage something? The base of the 10W bulb is the same size and shape as my 5W bulb. Having VERY limited knowledge when it comes to electrical systems in automobiles, I am reluctant to try to use the 10W bulb. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:44 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which light cell is the bulb for? The rear running light in the tail light lens that is on all the time?

You should get away with a 10 watt bulb without melting the plastic. The bigger problem with a 10 watt bulb is it shines too bright compared to the brake light - you want a big differential so people know you are braking.

The bulb you should use is a #1155, 5 watt, 4 candela or a #97, 5watt, 4C. Just look for 1155 or 97 as the output is industry standard and won't be different. These bulbs go in the sidemarkers and rear running lights and you should be able to find them almost anywhere. I'll bet even WalMart has them. Try and get bulbs with nickel plated bases rather than bare brass since the nickel won't corrode like the brass will.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:43 AM
randyvitaha
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the info. These are the taillights that stay on all the time when your lights are on. I read somewhere that you could also upgrade your rear lights to a brighter overall system using halogen, (I believe they said halogen), bulbs of some kind. Only thing, yes, you have to do all the rears so you have a good contrast between running lights and brake lights. Is that correct?
Old 01-18-2004, 12:14 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 35 watt halogen light upgrades for the rear I was selling can be used certainly in the reverse and brake lights. You could do the rear turn signals also. The running lights that you are replacing should really be left at the industry standard of 5 watts so they match the sidemarkers (which you can't really raise above 5 watts due to heat in that small space). If you want more in the rear running light department light up the dead light cell (in North America that is the lower, middle red cell). And to keep the contrast between running and brake lights so no confusion.

I assume you your second question is regarding replacing the brake and turnsignal bulbs for contrast. That is a good idea. These are incandescent bulbs like your home lamp bulbs. They may still light up but if they are old they are not as bright as new ones. What happens is tungsten from the filament vaporizes (losing the tungsten is what eventually causes the bulb to burn out) and lands on the bulb glass forming a filter. You may not be able to see much with the naked eye until it gets really bad but it is still there acting as a light filter and reducing output. A reason it is a good idea to replace bulbs in pairs when one burns out.

Quick Reply: Watt bulb do I need