Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping an Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 06:17 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Shipping an Engine

So...did a search on here with no success.

Asked Google and found this video -

Basically looking for someone with the T-shirt to share your experience. Need to pick up a short block this weekend and will be using my little trailer to place the engine on and strap it down for bringing back to my Toy Box.

TIA-

Old 08-20-2018, 07:51 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last time I picked up a 944 short block my friend and I just lifted it into the back of my SUV and used a ratchet strap or 2 on the interior tie downs. If it was a full engine then well would have been a bit more complicated.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:07 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just throw a used tire under the engine to support it, lift it into place with a hoist, then just ratchet strap to the hoist points or header.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:43 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

For what it's worth I have shipped engines and transmissions via Fastenal 3rd Party Shipping and you would be hard pressed to beat their prices. Your situation sounds a little different in that you are picking this engine up and moving it yourself. That's awesome that you have access to a trailer, that should make things easier.

When we shipped the engine below, we lifted it by the points on the engine and put in the back of a Toyota Sequoia. At Fastenal, they pulled it out via their forklift. That's another nice thing about the pallet is that you can for under it with a fork lift or a pallet jack if you have access to those, plus it keeps the engine up off the ground, minimizing the potential for damage. The pallet also gives you something to strap to. Not sure if it is clear in the pic, but I ran a couple of ratchet straps around the top layer of the pallet and over the top of the engine. Another thing to note is that the engine will have a tendency to tip over. That is why you see the small cribbing I built under the headers in the pic.

Of course there are plenty of ways to do this, but my suggestion is find a pallet (they are everywhere and practically free), get yourself some ratchet straps, and come up with a way to support the exhaust side of the engine (harbor freight moving blanket? lots of ways to do this),

I'm not sure if your trailer has a ramp, but if it does, you might be able to wheel the engine up onto your trailer using furniture dollies like the ones shown in the pic. Otherwise you're likely going to need an engine lift and chains to pick it up and place it on your trailer and of course to take it off when you get home.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:33 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:36 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on using a tire.

Quick Reply: Shipping an Engine