Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Gemballa look

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 07:06 AM
PCMAX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had never heard of Gemballa before this post, it sent me rushing off to do a google search & guess what they even have an outlet on the Gold Coast in Australia. I have just e-mailed them to see what they have.
This forum is a fantastic resource!!
Old 01-17-2004, 07:53 AM
kraft
Instructor

Thank you all for your warmfull welcome and comments

For the replica's the only one i found was in Van Zweeden's company in the Netherlands that you can find on the web but they just stopped production.

I've been in touch with Gemballa Germany but nothing there too, they explained me that it was too old. As i seeked the net the only parts i found were in the U.S. for the 928 which looks absolutely different and for about 3000 $
So maybe Gemballa which is in the U.S. too could have old parts in stock ?
Pcmax i whish you to find it or to get help by the Gemballa outlet
Old 01-17-2004, 10:37 AM
kraft
Instructor

Ok now let's see what i put inside. Ok i know they are screens everywhere in every car but i'm expanding features more than the standard which can be found in nowdays market, beating even a huge Japanese make. Maybe it's a false hope from me but anyway i keep on dreaming. After all even if no one is interested with this i will have one exceptionnal system in a unique car

So let's go.
No keyboard, no mouse, no stupid dashboard lighter plugs, no buttons, no wires everywhere running on the dash or the floor.
This one is something pure that is thought and really fits in a Porsche.

Dvd, Divx skinnable player, synthesized voice repeating main commands entered

Ogg, xm, it etc skinnable player with a lot of effects, synthesized voice repeating main commands entered

Gps, synthesized voice for directions, speed, heading etc.

Real time monitoring with virtual gauges taking informations from the e.c.u. not yet finished and many more things that i prefer not comment at the moment.

Please notice that all this is done with poor's man solutions i know too how to buy beautiful huge screens etc. I used only refurbished materials for a test as i don't done this for a corporate or whatever.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:48 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

It's wierd, after seeing all of the kits that Gemballa has inflicted on the 911s of the 80s, for me to actually say that I like something made by them! All in all, that is one nice 944! The driving/fog lights look a little funny to me (I think I would like that more if they were a one-piece unit like the 951/S2) but that is one sexy ****!

BB.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:02 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a picture of the rear end of my previous 944....It had the Gemballa rear end on it.

And here is what it looks like after the guy I sold it too slide backwards into a poll.. Notice that the rear bumper piece now fits nicely into the rear hatch area.

Old 01-17-2004, 11:02 AM
kraft
Instructor

You are absolutely right about the 911 as they broke the general idea of what is a 911 but they were some interesting innovative ideas in a big advance for the 80's time when they launched the Avalanche. Anyway sometimes, as we are only humans, anyone can make a mistake. I think that they have no lessons to get from us, or at least from me as they released the Extremo or the GTR Evo
They make me dream
For the fog lights it's normal as this is a mod done for the classic atmospheric models.

Ouch what a pity Michael
This is what is frightening me the most...
Someone rush in your back and everything is over...
So are you going to repair or simply forget it ? (as i saw this car in your avitar)
Old 01-17-2004, 01:16 PM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

Holy cow! that is a sleek screen setup. This car just keeps getting better and better.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:18 PM
JediAgent
Racer

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Its borked!
Old 01-17-2004, 01:22 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

THat thing is a beauty...how much did it cost to get all that done...including the screen?
Old 01-17-2004, 02:32 PM
kraft
Instructor

Well with all this old material not so expensive, just a big amount of time to integrate all this, getting rid of keyboard, mouse, wires and trying to make it taking no more place than one old playstation. My other problem was to make it talk french and many other problems with hardware to solve.
Here in France for example we have not so much wi-fi access points so i made it to be able to take upgrades, music etc with an ordinary usb key.

I also Included a kind of boomerang system that you can't see on the screen, nor anywhere, it remains silent, makes that even if the car is stolen it's quite not a problem, including car-jacking.
Using authenticated system to stop it anywhere. The system recognizes you and only you, no risk to get a stop command from someone else.

I know that some solutions with satellites exists but the weak point of those systems is the shadows. For example big buildings are cutting the waves, forest too, if the car is hidden in a garage or box no way to see where it is, so the car simply disapear on the operator's screen.

With the thing i done, when the car receives command to stop, the car is waiting that the speed drops to around 20 km/h (don't know in miles but low speed is meant for other's security avoiding crash due to lack of brake assistance or direction) then executes the stopping of it.

Distance is not a matter as i know that some systems like those already exists with ordinary radio transmitter. The problem of this is that this kind of transmitter is not so efficient in the cities. When the car is stopped then it transmits it's position.
If the system is broken or deactivated i.e with removing battery and putting it back then the cars transmits it's position to you and stops immediately just because without this system the car can't work.

They are a lot of other things that i continue to work on which will come in addition of all this.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:35 PM
Lousailor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SSSaweeeeeetttt!!!
Old 01-17-2004, 06:11 PM
kraft
Instructor

Thank you
mmh when i read again my post my explanations are confusing but i forgot a lot of my english learning. It must certainely look strange
Old 01-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Conor
Burning Brakes

Wow, i really like that car!!
Well done!
Old 01-18-2004, 11:50 AM
kraft
Instructor

A big thank you to all of you.
Apart pff-online.de nowhere else i saw the same thing. I'm happy to know some of you by some posts exchanges
Old 01-19-2004, 04:47 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There were also some other than Gemballa spoilers available for 944. One of the best looking one was a Zender spoiler. German tuning company D&W had also their own. Unfortunately none of these are no longer available. I contacted Zender about six years ago and they told me all 944 spoiler molds were destroyd.

Quick Reply: Old Gemballa look