Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double Din stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:41 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Double Din stereo install

I've read numerous posts on how easy it is to install a Double Din receiver/CD player into the hole normally filled by a 1 Din receiver. Now I've bought a JVC Double Din unit and I'm quickly realizing that the install isn't going to be easy. I already cut out the front center cross brace but the inside brace that surrounds the stereo and bolts to the floor of that pocket interferes with the back of the receiver box. The receiver is 6.25 inches long and If I try to tilt the receiver to clear it, the face won't be flush with the opening of the front of the console. If anyone has any offerings to solve this issue, I'd welcome them.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:59 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I've never installed a double din unit, but I did relocate my stereo down to where the cubby normally goes, and put gauges up where the stereo normally goes.

I got a digital-only head unit so that the unit's depth would be less. Even with that, it still interfered with the steel support bracket so I removed it, ground away some metal, painted it, and put it back in.

Before giving in and grinding metal, I considered modifying the head unit's chassis. I popped it open and saw that there was some extra room, where I could have packed the innards closer to the front and shortened the chassis by like 1/2" somehow. That's probably not an option for your head unit with the CD player.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:02 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

I finally decided to forego putting a double din unit in the hole and went back to the single din JVC Bluetooth with the same capabilities of the double din unit I had purchased previously. It dropped right in and used the same connector the double din unit used so I didn't have to rewire anything. Looks clean and sounds great. Now on to ;trying to figure out why I don't have any electrical in the rear half of the car. Body shop seems to have done something when they painted the car.

Quick Reply: Double Din stereo install