Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Smell - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004 | 09:59 PM
jamiejim
Racer

Default Gas Smell - HELP!!

I have read all the posts about gas smells in 944s. I have checked all the overflow hoses, fuel injectors, etc. and can't find anything broken. I have stuck my head in every cubby hole trying to smell for gasoline.

The problem is that after filling the tank, which I did on the way home from work tonight, the whole car has a strong gas smell. It fills the whole garage and even comes into the house.

Is it possible that a bad carbon filter could cause this much gas smell? If I can't find any broken hoses, etc., does anyone have any other ideas? I may have to resort to only filling the tank part way. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2004 | 10:05 PM
jamiejim
Racer

Also, I replaced the fuel sending unit a couple of months ago, and have checked to be sure that isn't leaking.
Old 01-15-2004 | 10:07 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

mine does this too after a fillup, but maybe not that strong, but my car stays outside.
Old 01-15-2004 | 10:36 PM
jamiejim
Racer

I also don't see any sign of leaking from the fuel injectors, but I can't be sure. What is the best way to check them? Are they easy to fix/replace when they leak, for someone who is mechanically challenged? Any posts on how to check and change fuel injectors?
Old 01-15-2004 | 10:54 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

How about the pump leaking? I had this smell couldn't even see the leak at first then it got worst and you could see very little on the ground. The fuel pump leaked but was still working so I just tried to fix it no luck so replaced it with a new one.
Old 01-15-2004 | 10:59 PM
jamiejim
Racer

I never see any sign of anything leaking on the garage floor or when I am under the car. Fuel pump was replace by a Porsche mechanic about a year ago.
Old 01-15-2004 | 11:07 PM
Geo
Race Director

Default Re: Gas Smell - HELP!!

Originally posted by jamiejim
I have read all the posts about gas smells in 944s.
Uh, I ain't touchin' this one.
Old 01-16-2004 | 12:19 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jim,

Jay's 83 did the same thing. It ended up being in the filler neck. Any time you filled it, you could smell something, but it would go away after that. On this car, it never actually leaked enough to get to the floor, only enough to really smell.

Matt
Old 01-16-2004 | 12:26 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Mine does the same thing. Wife always asks "Did you get gas?" I don't even answer anymore.
Old 01-16-2004 | 03:33 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Early 944's have the cloth wrapped vent hose that comes across the top of the fuel tank and up the filler pipe to the vent fitting. This cracks at the point where the neck attaches to the tank and the hose takes a 45 degree sharp turn.

Also the black putty stuff that is used to seal the cover on the filler dries up and leaves a gap.

I put a piece of copper tubing in mine bent to the same angle and clamped the hose on each side.

The newer 944's use a much better hose and don't seem to have this problem.
Old 01-16-2004 | 09:00 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

SoCal, how do you access this vent hose? Do you need to pull back the interior carpeting in the rear quarter panel? This is great information!
Old 01-16-2004 | 09:55 AM
jamiejim
Racer

I checked what I think are all these hoses and everything looks good, I think PO may have even replaced them before. I will pull out everything this weekend and double check it all again. I have to fix this, or I'll sell the car. My wife doesn't care for gas smells in the house, from me or the car.
Old 01-16-2004 | 11:47 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
SoCal, how do you access this vent hose? Do you need to pull back the interior carpeting in the rear quarter panel? This is great information!
Yes you have to pull the back carpet and the trim on the passengers side rear seat end. There are several bolts/nuts and screws holding the cover on.

Clean off all of the old caulking and check the fit of the cover. IIRC there is some extensive text in the FWSM's on using a few more sheet metal screws to help the cover seat and seal correctly. Use an even bead of caulking or add a bit to places that don't look even.

As to having a good hopse: If the hose is not the solid rubbber type like in the newer fuel lines, it's most likely cracked. If the hose is the newer type then the tank may have holes in the top from some JA driving screws through the floor of the cargo area when putting in speakers or cargo straps.
Old 01-16-2004 | 04:39 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

I have the automobile gas smell in my car in the mornings. I think I will explore around filler and misc tubes back there this weekend. I did find the drain from the filler plugged. Unplugged it and routed it properly out the hole to the outside but this did not take care of the problem. This morning I opened the hood to make sure the smell wasn't from the engine compartment getting into the ventalation. The engine did not smell of gas so must be interior.

Good to know to look for JA holes!
Old 01-16-2004 | 07:10 PM
jamiejim
Racer

SoCal or anyone else: I put the car up on ramps, and found gas around the top of the tank. I can't tell if it is the hoses or leaks in the top of the tank. Are there ANY hoses that you can't access without pulling the tank (which is the what the Porsche mechanic wants to do, at 6 hours labor to R/R). PO did drill holes for subs, but they go through the sheet metal between the wheel well and the tank, so I am fairly certain that he didn't drill into the tank. I pulled back the carpet, and am now in the process of removing the filler cover to see what I find.

Quick Reply: Gas Smell - HELP!!