Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look at this, 205 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004 | 01:05 PM
mmmbeer
Racer

well i mean at 205 mph will a seat belt really make a differnce???
Not all accidents involves a head on crash. On a good highway you are likely to skid along the barriers. Then the seatbelt would come in very handy.

Why do you have to wear seatbelts in a plane? The same reason! Not all accidents involve the plane hitting the ground at 900 km/h.

Regards:
Eirik Kvello-Aune
www.944968.com
Old 01-15-2004 | 01:13 PM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Ken D
Just to play devil's advocate:

What's the difference between this person, and the guys at Ruf who "routinely" pull 200 mph on the Autobahn in the early morning?

I don't condone what he did, but I wonder if people would react the same if this were posted by one of the Ruf test drivers.
well, I will play along.. a test driver will probably be what you could say "a professional driver".. and he probably would NOT prag about it publicly..
Old 01-15-2004 | 01:14 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

A seatbelt at 205 mph will NOT make a difference. Most likely the car will flip, multiple times, the car will tear apart, and whether your seatbelt is on won't mean diddly squat. You are screwed either way. If he was to lose control it would be because the oscillation or a blowout or something that would put the car sideways -- and that would, at such a speed, flip the car probably 15 times before it would come to a stop. I wear my seatbelt all the time, FYI.

-Matt
Old 01-15-2004 | 01:18 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Ken,
It's likely that said Ruf test driver (with years and years of professional driving experience) wouldn't be concentrating on videotaping his speedometer while listening to techno and driving 200+ on public roads.

Thats the difference.
Old 01-15-2004 | 01:26 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Matt Olde
A seatbelt at 205 mph will NOT make a difference. Most likely the car will flip, multiple times, the car will tear apart, and whether your seatbelt is on won't mean diddly squat. You are screwed either way. If he was to lose control it would be because the oscillation or a blowout or something that would put the car sideways -- and that would, at such a speed, flip the car probably 15 times before it would come to a stop. I wear my seatbelt all the time, FYI.

-Matt
If a car flips at 205 mph, if you don't have your seat belt on, you will be tossed around in the car like a Ragetty-Andy doll, and that would most likely result in MORE bodily injuries. If you have your seatbelt on, while your body will most likely sustain a lot of injuries, they will be minimized, since you won't be thrown around inside the car.

For starters, if you have your seatbelt on, you are less likely to smack your head on the steering wheel just as the airbag goes off.

I really don't understand what this is a hard concept to get.

-Z-man.
Old 01-15-2004 | 01:47 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Z-man,

My point is that you are screwed either way. A simple seatbelt will not keep a car from shredding into pieces as it flips at 200 miles per hour.

I'm reminded of that idiot in the Corvette who was running from the cops and lost control, flipped his car, was thrown from the car as the car broke up, and was hardly injured.

Either way, you take your life into your hands at that speed (or the car's hands), and a wreck at 205 with or without a seat belt, you are completely screwed.

BTW, smacking your head on the steering wheel will be the least of your worries if you wreck at 205. And the airbag? That is rendured completely useless at that speed. It will deploy and deflate well before the wreck is over with.
Old 01-15-2004 | 01:58 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Matt: true, I hear ya! I was thinking logically, but anyone who travels over 205mph isn't really thinking logically anyway...

However, I still believe that wearing a belt will, in most cases, minimize the injuries vs. not wearing one, even at such high speeds.

-Z.

PS: Yeah, I remember that Vette video: he lifted, and that's what got him in trouble!
Old 01-15-2004 | 02:09 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Z,

Yes it is definitely stupid not to wear your seat belt, which is why I have the habit ingrained in me that I put it on the second I get in the car. It's just as you know, losing control/flipping at 200+ is extremely ugly. When the guys do it in Nascar or in top-fuel dragsters as we've all probably seen, sometimes they walk away -- but the safety measures in those cars are above and beyond anything on the road today.

Anyway, I still think it's be a blast to go 200 on the autobahn. I guess that's why I want to fly fighter jets.

-Matt

PS
I think the vette vid I saw was where he tried to go around a semi, lost control and bumped the semi at a very high speed (like 130/140 I think?) and the car began to flip.
Old 01-15-2004 | 02:13 PM
Z-man
Race Director

PS
I think the vette vid I saw was where he tried to go around a semi, lost control and bumped the semi at a very high speed (like 130/140 I think?) and the car began to flip.
Yeah, that's the vid. I couldn't find it on my HD, but I thought he got a little squiggly before hitting the first semi.

But it doesn't matter: he was stupid, the 205mph driver was stupid, and the Ferrari driver in the latest OT vid was also stupid.

-Z.
Old 01-15-2004 | 02:20 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I didn't see the Ferrari driver, going to watch it now.

Z are you saying that if you had a long stretch of Autobahn from Stuttgart to Frankfurt after purchasing your new 911 GT2, you wouldn't open it up?
Old 01-15-2004 | 02:33 PM
Z-man
Race Director

I didn't see the Ferrari driver, going to watch it now.

Z are you saying that if you had a long stretch of Autobahn from Stuttgart to Frankfurt after purchasing your new 911 GT2, you wouldn't open it up?
Hehe....

First off, it would be a 911 GT3 RSR, not a 911 GT2!

Second, the autobahn is a little different: higher speed cars are much more common there. Given the fact that the 205mph turbo guy was in Kuwait, I doubt seriously that there is no speed limit on the stretch of road he was on.

Third, if I did a high speed run, it would not be necessary for me to exceed 200 mph to get my thrills. Hypothetically speaking, If I had such a circumstance presented to me, I'd probably hit 100mph or so on the autobahn. (It's not the high speed that thrills me, it's the corner speed that I am addicted to! )

Fourth, I wouldn't do it at night.

Fifth: I wouldn't be holding a cam corder in one hand.

Sixth: why play on a road (even the autobahn): I'd rather go to Nurburing and play for real! (Or bring it stateside and play at The Glen, or VIR, or any other track! )

Mmmmm.... GT3RSR..... Mmmmm

-Z.
Old 01-15-2004 | 03:47 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Z-- you will get rear ended by a 1983 VW Golf if you go 100 mph on the autobahn! (Either that, or the Polizei will reposes your Porsche for not knowing how to drive it). JK bud.

Stay in the right lane!
Old 01-15-2004 | 10:32 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've seen that Vette video & there is NO WAY he was going any 140 when he tried to go b/t those 2 semis- take a look at it sometime- I watched it ~20 times in a row one night- 60mph is 88 ft/sec- if those semis were going 60mph & the Vette was going ~140mph, then, the Vette was running ~80mph (~120 ft/sec) FASTER... There is NO WAY! That said, the guy MAY have done 140mph a few minutes BEFORE that clip, but, there's NO WAY he was doing it at that moment- COPS JUST LOVE TO EXXAGERATE CRIMES as much as possible to make the perpetrators LOOK MUCH more dangerous than they really are. Like a person working on a car when cops walk up to them having just picked up a wrench & the cops shouting to put down the "weapon" & later claiming that he was trying to hit them w/it, etc...

OR, how about the M3 video posted here ~1yr ago- an E30 running from cops & that IDIOT narrator talking about how it could get from 0-60 in under 5 seconds & could reach speeds of >150, etc. At one point, the M3 speeds up & he says something like ".... but, the powerful M3 quickly accelerates up to >140 & leaves the cops behind..." & blah blah blah...

I don't like these threads very much b/c there is no way anyone, but the poster of the original thread, can know alll the circumstances- of course, Z-man's point is that even the person doing the driving probably doesn't know all of the variables EITHER & in some cases, I'm sure he's right- I just think these threads are like all the OT ones, ets- if you don't like them, ignore them.... bc/ there's no way you're going to talk a driver of one of these cars into not opening it up once in awhile & that includes OFF the track- however seemingly dangerous it may be- I've done some pretty stupid things behind the wheel & some of them have involved speed- I've tried very hard to pick the better moments to drive certain ways, especially the older I get, but I've ALWAYS been of the opinion that there is a major dif b/t driving FAST & driving RECKLESSLY. Also, it's very interesting to me, that when cop chases are brought up, that no one EVER seems to call the cops stupid- ONLY the perpetrators- seems to me, that if going so fast endagers SO MANY LIVES, that it would be much SMARTER for the cops to let them go & try to get them later in a safer manner- hell, the cops are hte ones who SHOULD KNOW BETTER- I know that SOME chases can NOT be called off b/c of speed, BUT, MANY can- like the ones where it would be a simple speeding ticket or a driving w/out license infraction- the intensity of the chase should have something to do w/the seriousness of the crime....
Old 01-16-2004 | 01:07 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Ah, here is the source of the spirated debate for the 996 TT board.

Anyone have the link to the vette, M3 or Ferrari. You got to admit, these videos are somewhat entertaining to watch. Incidentaly, the guy who made the F40 video a few years back got arrested after posting his video on the internet. Big brother is truly watching, I guess . . .
Old 01-16-2004 | 01:23 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

F40 video? A guy got arrested based soley on the video itself? OR, was he running from cops WHILE filming the video?

Quick Reply: Look at this, 205 MPH