Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway bar Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004 | 12:15 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally posted by Z-man

Getting back to the autox vs. track setups, on the track, at higher speeds, a firmer suspension will be able to compress more than at slower autox speeds. That's why the track cars with their super-stiff suspension aren't really ideal for autocross: they are going too slow to fully utilize their super stiff suspension, so the car will plow!

-Z-man.
I have to agree with Z-man here.

My 944-spec car was good at autocross until I got to be very good at the track. I have my car lowered as much as possible to limit weight transfer on the track that at lower autocross speeds it just seems to plow and not respond. I never seems like I can get enough weight transfer for it to respond. That is one reason I now autocross my 83 944 in 100% stock form. Sure there is a whole lot of body roll, but I have balance quite nicely done and I really feel like I can get the car to respond around every corner. Only problem is that it is often slow to respond and the street tire limit grip. The ride however it more fun because I can really work the car hard. Of course the most fun is look on everyone's face after a run. They are mostly in shock about how my car made it around the course without turning over and getting a top 5 street tire time.

Also...
A good set of fresh shocks will make a huge difference in body roll in quick transitions like in autocross. The shocks will dampen the body movement. I replaced the shocks in my 84 daily driver and it make the handling much more crisp and sharp. No change to spring rate, just a change from completly dead non-existant shocks to fresh ones. One day I will do shocks in my 83 autocross car too.
Old 01-15-2004 | 05:54 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info guys

Quick Reply: Sway bar Q's