Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fan Overtime

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018 | 12:01 PM
PerryB
Instructor

Swenny, PaulD,

So far the switch has worked. I'm heading out to super hot California in a few days and that will be the real test of my bodge-job repair.

I have checked the thermostat and the thermoswitch and they seem to be working correctly. I had thought that the thermostat might be a higher temperature than the thermoswitch but my testing showed that everything was at the stock settings and functioning correctly.

I replaced the water pump and coolant at the last timing belt change two years ago. My experience diagnosing and repairing this car has shown me that replacing parts, even when it seems obvious that they're defective, doesn't always solve the problem. Since this relay is so expensive, I decided to see how well this work-around will work before spending money on a part that might or might not be the real source of the problem.

Perry
Old 07-27-2018 | 01:07 PM
Swenny
Racer

I think that the goal is to repair the problem rather than work around it. My first '24S the fans stayed on all the time and drained the battery. I used to disconnect the battery every time that I parked. Then there was that time that I was too lazy to and the car enjoyed a tow home. I fixed the problem(rad fan switch). Two years is about normal for a coolant change. Troubleshooting is about isolating the trouble area (one component at a time). You may have to check,re-check,re-check and re-check to get it right. You're driving a Porsche. Not everyone cares to or can. It comes at a price.
Old 07-27-2018 | 03:08 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

I measured the current to activate one relay inside the can, and it looks like it draws 100mA. I activated two and left it on for about 15 minutes, and it is barely warm to the touch.

I would be most concerned with your getting very hot to the touch. I'm surprised it doesn't blow a fuse. You run the risk of causing a fire or burning through some wires in the harness.

If you have to drive it, I would pull the whole relay, and hope you don't get stuck in traffic.
Old 07-27-2018 | 10:05 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PerryB
Swenny, PaulD,

So far the switch has worked. I'm heading out to super hot California in a few days and that will be the real test of my bodge-job repair.

I have checked the thermostat and the thermoswitch and they seem to be working correctly. I had thought that the thermostat might be a higher temperature than the thermoswitch but my testing showed that everything was at the stock settings and functioning correctly.

I replaced the water pump and coolant at the last timing belt change two years ago. My experience diagnosing and repairing this car has shown me that replacing parts, even when it seems obvious that they're defective, doesn't always solve the problem. Since this relay is so expensive, I decided to see how well this work-around will work before spending money on a part that might or might not be the real source of the problem.

Perry
Well, all I can contribute is that it seems very clear something is wrong and all the evidence points to the very expensive relay. Heading to super hot California (which isn't really super hot for this time of year, it's always hot here at the end of July and all the way through the middle of October), would put a fire in my belly for fixing the problem.

I own and operate a 944 in Paso Robles and it gets hot here (today's high was 104F). I've never had cooling problems (at least not yet). That relay really does sound like an electrical fire waiting to happen. That could be dire under the wrong circumstances.

PS: I went to second grade in Taft CA, between Paso and Bakersfield. It gets really hot there. We actually fried an egg on the sidewalk once. Really. One of us stole an egg from the fridge and we fried it on the sidewalk. Weird what 7 year old kids will do sometimes

Regards,
Old 07-27-2018 | 10:34 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

I think my point was missed.

The fans draw a lot of current, a lot.
If there is any resistance in the relay wiring, relay contacts, circuit board, or solder joints, that will make heat.
Open up the relay can and check the condition.
Plug it in and see what gets hot.
Then fix it.
Or borrow one and try it.

If you leave it as a manual switch, here's what will happen:
One day you will forget to turn the fans on.
While the car is parked.
On a hot day.
The engine will get hot.
Very hot.
It will puke out all of the coolant.
Without coolant the head will warp, the head gasket will blow, or the engine will seize.
The 944 engine will not start.

Then the fan relay won't matter anymore.
Old 07-28-2018 | 04:54 AM
aussie944cab
Instructor

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
I think my point was missed.

The fans draw a lot of current, a lot.
If there is any resistance in the relay wiring, relay contacts, circuit board, or solder joints, that will make heat.
Open up the relay can and check the condition.
Plug it in and see what gets hot.
Then fix it.
Or borrow one and try it.

If you leave it as a manual switch, here's what will happen:
One day you will forget to turn the fans on.
While the car is parked.
On a hot day.
The engine will get hot.
Very hot.
It will puke out all of the coolant.
Without coolant the head will warp, the head gasket will blow, or the engine will seize.
The 944 engine will not start.

Then the fan relay won't matter anymore.
Exactly this

Old 07-28-2018 | 07:57 AM
911Ragtop
Advanced

Default Another idea

I think you may have an old fan that is creating great resistance therefore the additional energy required to spin the fan is causing your problems and heating up your relay.
If the fan is old has bad bearings it’s a lot like riding a bike in the highest hardest gear going uphill and therefore you have to work harder to move and you sweat and heat up. Same in your car. It’s also a lot like having a short in your system. It should blow the fuse but it’s probable just boarderline below the amperage for that therefore things in the system heat up ie your relay a delicate vunerable part.
Test the fan alone if it sounds old and crappy and runs slow my guess is you have some worn windings, dirty contacts or the bearing or whatever spins in there is shot. Put a new fan in there. No Porsche should be rolling around with a manual switch. Fix the system and let it do what it was meant to do.

Last edited by 911Ragtop; 10-17-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-28-2018 | 08:57 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

pull the fan relay and check the TF terminal to ground.

infinite resistance points to a problem with the relay. (the relay springs might have become weak due to the heat of continuous operation)

zero resistance points to a problem with the harness/switches.

with the high pressure ac switch and the radiator mounted switch unplugged at the switches, check the resistance again. if it reads zero, there is an issue with the harness.
Old 07-28-2018 | 04:47 PM
Swenny
Racer

http://20thstreetauto.com
Hey Perry,check with this outfit and see if they have a relay at a reasonable price. 50% of new is what I've had to pay to them for various stuff.
Old 07-28-2018 | 11:45 PM
Chalt
Pro

$239.75 for Porsche brand at Pelican. Wow that is an expensive relay.
Old 07-28-2018 | 11:57 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chalt
As seems to be the case these days the third party vendors of genuine parts are more expensive than the official Porsche dealerships who sell online such as Sunset Porsche
Old 07-29-2018 | 12:32 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Yep, I suppose that's a good reason to check the fans before replacing the relay, especially since the OP already replaced the relay once.

I was pricing window relays awhile ago, they aren't cheap either. Luckily my problem was the switch, not the motor or the relay.
Old 07-29-2018 | 01:21 AM
Swenny
Racer

That'$ a good rea$on to exhau$t all of the other probable cause$.
Old 07-29-2018 | 08:37 AM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

I got mine at the Hershey Swap Meet for $10!
Old 07-29-2018 | 04:36 PM
aussie944cab
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Ragtop
Let me throw out my left handed right brained Amish dude solution. I think you may have an old fan that is creating great resistance therefore the additional energy required to spin the fan is causing your problems and heating up your relay.
If the fan is old has bad bearings it’s a lot like riding a bike in the highest hardest gear going uphill and therefore you have to work harder to move and you sweat and heat up. Same in your car. It’s also a lot like having a short in your system. It should blow the fuse but it’s probable just boarderline below the amperage for that therefore things in the system heat up ie your relay a delicate vunerable part.
Test the fan alone if it sounds old and crappy and runs slow my guess is you have some worn windings, dirty contacts or the bearing or whatever spins in there is shot. Put a new fan in there. No Porsche should be rolling around with a manual switch. Fix the system and let it do what it was meant to do.
basic Ohms law means that with greater resistance there will be LESS current, V=IxR, I=V/R, R=V/I, W=VxI
Sorry, just re read the post and understand when you said "resistance" you meant mechanical not electrical resistance, thought I'd leave the post for Ohm's law equation

Last edited by aussie944cab; 07-29-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Cooling Fan Overtime