Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where in this country can I get a 944S painted

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 05:41 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Another thing - If your dash is cracked, and you want to put one of the skins on it, it is a lot easier to get the part by the windshield down when the windshield is out. When I put the cap on my 89 NA, it warped by the windshield. When I had the safelite guy out to change the windshield I asked him for 15 minutes between the time the glass was out and the install. I had small stainless screws, he pushed the cap forward, and I drilled and screwed the cap into the old dash material right by where the dash meets the glass. then while he was gluing up the new glass I put dabs of black paint on the screws. The hard part was finding dead center. then I think I used piece of paper for spacing. It came out nice. Not perfect, but definitely better than the crack.

When it is all done treat yourself to a Momo steering wheel, and replace the leather on the shift ****.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:40 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks for the comments. The car is currently a disaster paint-wise, here let me post some pics. Mind you I have had this car since 89....

The badge is off, but the car is still there.

My the sunroof is made of.... something.

This will not end well.....

Side view. Wish the clearcoat had all fallen off instead of this mess.

Door stay broken+backing up with door open+wood pile=this.

Sigh

Looks good from the rear.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:53 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R.
What do you want when it is done? A twenty footer? Right now it is a 50/50? Great at 50 feet going by at 50 mph?
Right now anything. It looks like total ***.
The car is not a valuable car. Its intrinsic value exceeds its market value by a multiple. The metallic paint makes things more expensive, and to go solid will turn it into a Frankenstein. Maaco has a few grades of paint last time I checked. If you are going with them, I would see how much you can save by prepping the car as much as you can. pull the rubber off, take out the quarter windows, pull the side moldings off with dental floss. Take the wipers off, bumper pads off, and window sweepers. Door handles are a bitch. Then if you can, sand as much of the rust as you can so they just have to do the fine work. I doubt they will take the windshield out, so there will be overspray on that. However, if it is shot up with pockmarks, you may be able to work something out with a local safelite where they will replace it as soon as the paint is done, then have Maaco pull and toss it. They can do that easily. Notice how the job just got a lot trickier. You may also want to give them the bumpers off the car so they can spray them on a bench and give them back to you in the hatch.
Yah. Truth be told I can pick up another 944S on Ebay for like 2k with much better paint and just fix the engine. But it's my little car, I got this thing when I was 20 wil 30k miles on it and now it's well over 200k.

It's not really a matter of "saving" every last dollar, it's doing it as right as possible without going overboard. If they are going to pull the lights, stuff and rubber then I have no problem letting them do that. I have to drive it there so taking off the hatch/bumpers/windows/everything would be complex. The glass is perfect, so not worth replacing at this point.

I'm going with the best paint package they got, along with fixes to the door and some rust on a panel. If they find other things (sure they will) I'll deal with it.

Basically I need the car protected from rusting away, look like something less than a total monster, and not become a concours model. The engine and drivetrain are fine, all electricals work, it's a fine little car for what it is. The professionals want 12-20k to properly do it, which is what my dad paid for his 68 911L, but that's.... a quarter million dollar car. Most places around here just want to do insurance work.

If it looks better than what it does now I'll be happy. Worst thing I'm out 2k and I turn the car into mulch. Which it will become anyway if I don't do something.

The key to what I just posted is they are sanding and spraying the car. Like all above in the thread said, the details are in the prep. If you have a few small runs, you may be able to say OK. If you have overspray on the door rubber, globs of paint between the door moldings and the door, which leads to a run, and old paint showing through the bumper you will be upset.
With what I suggested (and others give your thoughts), the masking can be done by their intern and there wont be any damage, the assembly will be done by you, and that takes a lot of time. Pay them to do what you cant do, final sanding, and spraying. Use the better paint and get another 30 years out of it.[/QUOTE]

Old 02-15-2019, 10:22 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Seriously, looks like you got your $'s worth.

If you're going to go to the extent of a repaint in an effort to bring the car back to it's former glory, may as well go all in IMHO 'cause that's the only way you can justify the expense of a paint job (unless you DITY).
Old 02-15-2019, 11:56 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Seriously, looks like you got your $'s worth.

If you're going to go to the extent of a repaint in an effort to bring the car back to it's former glory, may as well go all in IMHO 'cause that's the only way you can justify the expense of a paint job (unless you DITY).
Um. You realize I haven't painted it yet.

That disaster is factory paint, 30 years on, and I have no clue why the clearcoat imploded.....

Old 02-15-2019, 11:58 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

Oddly enough it may be a regional thing: Note the Sienna has the same basic problem....
Old 02-16-2019, 06:14 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Basically I need the car protected from rusting away, look like something less than a total monster, and not become a concours model. The engine and drivetrain are fine, all electricals work, it's a fine little car for what it is. The professionals want 12-20k to properly do it, which is what my dad paid for his 68 911L, but that's.... a quarter million dollar car. Most places around here just want to do insurance work.
What about a wrap or something like Plastidip? It should be cheap, and meet your requirements.

If the plan is to just wrap it/plastidip it, then you could possibly get away with just DIY cleaning the rust and spraying it with cans. The dents will probably be best left to a professional though.

Added bonus - the removable nature of those finishes means you can have fun with them.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:26 PM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

For whatever it’s worth, I think you should paint your old car. What a cool history you have with it! The worst part is probably the door and it looks like your shut line is still decent at the top and bottom, so the door jam structure is probably solid. Between my brother and I, we have done about every alternative to regular paint as well as paint. 1) Volvo 245 turbo, Rustoleum roller paint job: labor intensive, faded from no UV. I’ll never do that again. 2) X1/9, plastidip: never looked good to me, PITA to remove. I’ll never do that again. 3) E36 M3, vinyl wrap: labor intensive, looked pretty good, might consider again. 4) Several cars with budget pro shop paint jobs: good to very good, no regrets.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:13 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

Well, I took it over to Maaco today and will let them wham away on it. Should be ready in a couple of weeks, then we'll see what it looks like.

And of course while working on the 928S today I destroyed the window lift motor so that car is basically immobolized. If it's not one thing, it's another....
Old 02-17-2019, 06:53 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Hope you get a great job and many more years of enjoyment out your old girl in the new dress
Old 02-28-2019, 08:42 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

Well, been a few weeks, I think I'll drive over tomorrow and see how it looks. New crest is still on order, the old one is original and faded, I'll put it in the museum.

Hope it looks good. Miss seeing it in the driveway. Mice probably miss it too.....
Old 02-28-2019, 11:03 PM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher Zach
Well, been a few weeks, I think I'll drive over tomorrow and see how it looks. New crest is still on order, the old one is original and faded, I'll put it in the museum.

Hope it looks good. Miss seeing it in the driveway. Mice probably miss it too.....
Looking forward to updates. Mice were unkind to my reference sensor wires a few years back. Frustrating!
Old 02-28-2019, 11:45 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

Yes. They want to build nests right underneath the shifter, and sometimes eat the damn boot and the leather. I've replaced it twice......
Old 03-01-2019, 12:46 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

Stopped by this morning to check in. Will take another 2 weeks, but they are busy. Lot of little dimples on the hood of the car, bit of a crunch on the side of the car, and of course they are fixing the spoiler and a bunch of other stuff....

Doing pretty good...

Damn they may have fixed the dent!

They did mention that it was dripping a bit of oil from the engine or transmission, I said it was probably just all excited and happy and couldn't control itself.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:38 PM
Daniel S
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher Zach

They did mention that it was dripping a bit of oil from the engine or transmission, I said it was probably just all excited and happy and couldn't control itself.

Quick Reply: Where in this country can I get a 944S painted