Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bored throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004 | 02:49 PM
ttwirz
Racer

I'm a bit late in this but here is a list of things I am currently installing on my NA for a little go fast. I took the plunge and got a stage II super charger from Tim @ SFR. The kit includes the SC, an inter cooler, MAF with ARC2, air fuel meter, Turbo fuel injectors and a high pressure fuel reg. I also installed a test pipe, no cat and cat back all from SFR. All is almost in except the injectors. It's been -20 hear for the past few weeks and I don't think it would be good to run the garage heater while playing with gas It's supposed to warm up this week end hopefully I'll be able to take her for a spin. Now I agree this is not the most economical rout to a faster car. I also wanted to have the experience of building something and having a somewhat unique car when I'm done. The out side of the car is stock, phone dials and all so the goal is to create a real sleeper. I did a ton of reading/ research and to sum it all up there is nothing for free. Remember the good old days when you could just flip the air cleaner cover over and instant k&n

BTW: Tim at Speed force Racing has been great, very informative and helpful. [I]I'm sure the wheel barrels of $ I have given him help's [I/]
Old 01-09-2004 | 02:53 PM
Matt H
Race Director

ttwirz, are you sure they are stock Turbo injectors? I am 99% sure they dont work in NA's, maybe they are aftermarket 35 lb/hr. Sounds like in interesting project.
Old 01-09-2004 | 03:01 PM
ttwirz
Racer

The setting for the Fuel pressure is 45 psi. The turbo injectors are used to handle the increased air volume. Tim said the stock injectors were not up to task. I guess an inherent problem with super charging is running lean in the higher rpm's. The bigger injectors are used to flow more fuel. How can I check, Ill take a look when I get home.
Old 01-09-2004 | 03:08 PM
Matt H
Race Director

So you are using a 3.0Bar regulator. I would agree that the stock NA injectors are not up to the task. The turbo injectors would be fine. They will cause awful idle on NA's because they are much too large. You can look for the PN on them if you were really interested but I trust Tim and it is his kit.

FWIW, I am buying 72/hr injectors (as soon as they have them in stock again) for the Turbo.
Old 01-09-2004 | 03:23 PM
ttwirz
Racer

Just a thought, the SC is producing some boost at idle, This may off set it. When I get it up and running I can see how much boost is present at idle. or how the car idles in general. When I'm all done and have been able to run it for a while I plan on posting the results of the project.
Old 01-09-2004 | 03:25 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I understand what you are saying. What I should have said is on a stock NA they will run like crap. I think you will be fine, will be interesting to see the pics.
Old 01-09-2004 | 05:08 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Matt H
You have hit the issue on the head. The DME is looking for a temp sensor and their isnt one. Since you have a converted system with a massager it isnt a "true" MAF setup.
Bingo!

When you need to come up you are welcome to stay with us. The house isnt much but we have a spare room, if you dont mind animals. I also have some great rates with some OKAY hotels near my office (which would be much closer to West Ft. Worth). Let me know.
Thanks for the kind offer. However, I have one sister in Grapevine and another in Keller. I'm pretty much obligated to stay with family except on a race weekend. Then I either stay at my NISsport partner's in Plano or at the track (we rented a motorhome at the last race at TMS - the only way to go racing!).

I'll certainly let you know when I'm coming up to see Don though. Hopefully after our audit at the end of February.
Old 01-09-2004 | 05:12 PM
Geo
Race Director

So you are using a 3.0Bar regulator. I would agree that the stock NA injectors are not up to the task. The turbo injectors would be fine. They will cause awful idle on NA's because they are much too large. You can look for the PN on them if you were really interested but I trust Tim and it is his kit.
This is where a MAF with a proper program for the ECU (DME) would do wonders. Even the larger injectors should be able to spray little enough for great tractibility. It works on our Nissans just fine, even with some pretty huge injectors.
Old 01-09-2004 | 05:12 PM
Matt H
Race Director

No problem. I didnt know you had a sister in Keller. Hell I work about 5 mins from Keller (and you though there was nothing there!). When the NASCAR idiots are in town I can here them practice from my office.
Old 01-09-2004 | 05:15 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I agree there. I just dont think there is a lot of bolt on power to be made with the NAs. Or better said, there is a better alternative to trying to make bunch of NA power. Either buy a 951 or buy an S2. I think that is the reason people are not willing to spend the big bucks on the NA, it doesnt make good sense with better alternatives out there. If you dont like the way turbo cars drive you can have the NA with the power in the S2.
Old 01-09-2004 | 06:50 PM
944JM
Instructor

Back from work now! About the MAF question. What is the VAT in the MAF? I have a ProFlow(?) unit and it has the hot wire inside a venturi and out front in the bottom is a cream colored plug with a resistor in it. I was told that VAT stands for variable air temp. Essentially an ambient air temp sensor that modifies the hot wire signal. Am I wrong about this? I have the SMT6 setup to do the fuel and adv/ret. timing. Some say you have to have custom chips to make it all work and some say no. If you need a pic to see what I'm talking about I'll post one.
As for the intakes. Geo, does the volume of the plenum need to roughly equal the combined volume of the runners? And does the area of the TB need to equal at least the area of 2 of the runners? The head is the bottle neck though so what can be done to it short of an out and out race setup which might sacrifice long term reliability?
Old 01-09-2004 | 06:58 PM
Matt H
Race Director

944JM - the person you need to talk to is John at Vitesse. He can answer your questions better than I can. He is a super nice guy and will be happy to help you I am sure.
Old 01-09-2004 | 07:00 PM
Geo
Race Director

I agree there. I just dont think there is a lot of bolt on power to be made with the NAs. Or better said, there is a better alternative to trying to make bunch of NA power. Either buy a 951 or buy an S2. I think that is the reason people are not willing to spend the big bucks on the NA, it doesnt make good sense with better alternatives out there. If you dont like the way turbo cars drive you can have the NA with the power in the S2.
You've hit it on the head Matt.

To build a high output NA requires a huge commitment to staying NA. This was me when I built my Sentra engine and probably still today. There really is something elegant about a well built, well tuned NA engine. It's rather exclusive as well. Yes, turbos are cheaper and easier to make power with, but how cool would a 250 hp 2.5 liter NA be? (and how expensive ).
Old 01-09-2004 | 07:05 PM
944JM
Instructor

Think again. I've talked to Vitesse but since I didn't purchase it from him, he is reluctant to help which I cannot blame him for although he did mention you need chips to do it. The cost of the chips is daunting to say the least after the $$ that have been spent to get it to work and since we don't know the calibration of the MAF it make the job even harder. I'm posting a pic of the VAT in question about the temp.

Ok, I give up... how to you attach a pic to this thing?
Old 01-09-2004 | 07:06 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by 944JM
Back from work now! About the MAF question. What is the VAT in the MAF? I have a ProFlow(?) unit and it has the hot wire inside a venturi and out front in the bottom is a cream colored plug with a resistor in it. I was told that VAT stands for variable air temp. Essentially an ambient air temp sensor that modifies the hot wire signal. Am I wrong about this?
Well, I won't pretend to know all about MAFs, but I think you probably have this wrong. A hotwire MAF works by adjusting the voltage to the hotwire to maintain a constant temp. Measuring the voltage required to maintain that temp is the key to calculating air mass.

Originally posted by 944JM
As for the intakes. Geo, does the volume of the plenum need to roughly equal the combined volume of the runners? And does the area of the TB need to equal at least the area of 2 of the runners? The head is the bottle neck though so what can be done to it short of an out and out race setup which might sacrifice long term reliability?
I honestly don't know how to do the calculations. I have a couple of good friends who do and can model this stuff. With a little research I would suspect it's not all that hard. I don't think it's the combined volume of the runners though. For instance, a short runner intake on a Nissan SR20 has a runner volume of about a liter at best, but the plenum should be around 3 liters.

Quick Reply: Bored throttle body