Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which one would YOU get? S2 or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 08:54 PM
dave120
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This debate comes up fairly often around here. It really depends on what you're going to use it for as far as which one you'd rather get. S2s, while being a couple years newer usually, generally have a lot more mile son them (from what I've seen) because they are such good daily drivers and people drive them...that said, the one you're looking at is pretty low miles, so it's probably in pretty nice shape. I dunno that I'd want to buy a turbo with over 100k miles on it unless I knew the car or had it checked out really well first. Too many of them are abused and will be an endless money sink with repairs before you even get to upgrades. Not to say S2s don't have problems as well, just not usually as many little annoying ones.

If you're planning on SCCA stock classes and such the S2 is going to be more competititive in its class than a 951 will be. On wide open road courses with decent sized straights a 951 will catch you...on tighter ones it's pretty close...For autoX you want an S2 definately...Really good drivers can be fast in a 951 there, but an S2 is more practical.

951 will tell you boost is the only way to go, but you normally see guys going from the 8v NAs to turbos. I haven't seen too many go from S2s to turbos because S2s are a lot of fun to drive..I've sene just as many go from a turbo "down" to an S2 as I have the other way around. Drive them both and see which one you like better.

Somebody mentioned high hp 951s vs 3L turbos..Dfastest951..fastest street legal 951 in North America...560+ some hp...S2 motor. He dropped some big bucks on that car though, but if you've got the cash and want loads of horsepower the 3L is the way to go.

Personally I've thought about going to a turbo from my S2. (an 89 Turbo with about 300 some hp) and just wasn't impressed to the point I'd give mine up for it. And that car was as pristine as mine is so it wasn't a beater I was looking at.

Bottom line, personal preference. Both are awesome cars and I don't think you'll find anybody that says either one of them sucks. Price wise it's going to be fairly close..you can get a cheap turbo for a little less than an S2, but odds are it'll need more money in work. The better shape turbos will run you a little more. Depends a lot on the area you're in too, some places S2s sell for more, some places turbos do.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:01 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S2
Old 01-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Fixn2xlr8
Bunny with a Mission
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

I imagine the S2 is pretty close to what I feel in the 968, it has low end torque but I didnt know what a joy boost was until I got the Merc. If I had a choice TODAY I would have gotten a nice turbo instead of the 968 (please dont slap me). I am accually looking for a transplant 951 motor for the 968.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:53 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've driven an 89 S2, and of course my 86 turbo. The S2's abs was nice, but I rarely find myself locking up the brakes in my turbo. The torque and sound of the turbo turn me on. My turbo has 120k on it now (87k when I bought it), never let me down, runs perfectly. The low mileage of the S2 does make it attractive though. The turbo "might" need maintenance at 125k, if the belts and waterpump are fresh and the cv's are fresh the only other thing to worry about would be the turbo (assuming a normal life). My turbo is original and at 120k there isn't a lot of oil burning. I did know my 944 was well maintained however so be careful. As far as in town driving, yeah the turbo isn't as much fun, it's at home at speed.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Time to look at some hard data...

Here are the horsepower/torque curves for the S2 and Turbo, taken directly from my Porsche owner's manual. These are for the '89 model year, so the Turbo is the "S" version.

First the Turbo:

and now the S2:

Keeping in mind that the S2 has shorter gearing--roughly 15% shorter--than the Turbo, the data says that above 2500 rpm or so, the Turbo starts to put more torque to the rear wheels than the S2. The non-S Turbos make somewhat less torque (I don't have the hp/torque curves), so it's closer to the S2. This pretty much confirms what I feel by the seat of the pants, namely that the Turbo has more punch if you keep the revs up. The S2 has better throttle response, which isn't quantified by these curves, but as I said in a earlier post, there are mods (like the Guru chips/MAP kit) which greatly reduce the stock turbo lag.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

the S2 is just more fun for a street car... And it sounds better, when opened up....

I wouldn't turn down an example like larry parker's...

just raw and dirty.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:49 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally posted by Jonas Goldsmith
plus on a small tight track its going to be a MUCH more competent car!
Do you mean on a "track" like a parking lot?

"MUCH more competent" is a strong statement..
Old 01-05-2004, 10:59 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by nine-44
There's ways of beating lag, prototype time is hopefully this spring!
I know what Andy's talking about and, aside from being slightly insane, I think he's on to something. Stay tuned, it's gonna be good.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No... Alll turbo's lag even the newest ones and even the smallest ones (like the mitsu To4-13c) still have lag...
Old 01-06-2004, 03:20 PM
jim944s2
Racer

I've driven a number of lapping events with my stock '86 951 and now my '89 S2, when I had the 951 a friend had my current S2, another guy also had a stock S2 and another with a stock 951.
In my experience, the stock '86 951 feels much faster on a (up to 125mph) straight, but is only very-very-slightly faster than the S2, and the S2 feels like it's much faster in the curves (w/ some M030 suspension), but it is only -very-very slightly faster. The two cars are really nearly identical for slower/mid speed track use.
But on an average 60 sec auto-x course, you can expect the S2 to be between 1 and 2 seconds quicker than a 951, -which is pretty significant.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:20 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Default Re: Which one would YOU get? S2 or Turbo?

Originally posted by HyperDeathKill
Are there any S2 owners that would rather have a Turbo? Or are there any Turbo owners that would rather have an S2?
At this point with what I know I'd choose the one in best condition with the least amount of work required. For sake of sanity and safety I hardly ever goose my car. Speed on the street is irrelevant for me. Perhaps the S2 would make a better every day driver than the turbo because of the difference in low end torque. But then again I don't rabbit out from the light or stop signs nor do I use it as my daily driver. So you have to ask yourself how the car will be used. I can tell you that turbo owners generally spend much more on their cars because of all the speed equipment available.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:59 PM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Re: Which one would YOU get? S2 or Turbo?

Originally posted by EZRider
I can tell you that turbo owners generally spend much more on their cars because of all the speed equipment available.
oh, so true..
Old 01-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

It all depends on what you want from the car as EVERYONE else has said. The turbo will pull hard at ANY speed above 15mph PERIOD! I have been on the highway and punch it, it pulls harder then most cars do off the line by far. I do a lot of highway driving plus just wanted to get a turbo car, so I got the 951. But if I was to do more cite driving I would get the S2 for sure for the nice low end in the car.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:09 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

heh, get both!

S2 - great daily driver and autocross bitch.
turbo - OMG, booooooost!!!!!!!

Dal.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:25 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i'd love to have boost in my S2, and i probably will someday relatively soon. the interesting thing about this question is...it's rarely posed in the 968 board or the S2 board, but it's a big jump with either car coming from an 8V n/a. i think the clear answer above what any individual could tell you is to drive both yourself if possible. then you're guaranteed to make the right decision.

OOPS, there is ONE potential big factor. for top down enjoyment, the S2 is the ONLY option. (no comment Luis)

Quick Reply: Which one would YOU get? S2 or Turbo?